new computer, wireless network advice please!

xxsk8er101xx

Aug 13, 2000
just bought a Dell Inspiron 600m.

Before you say anything, i don't care and the weight is important to me not how fast this and that is compared to dell and if i could have waited just 6 more months i could have gottin that.

this is what i got:
I600M,14.1 IN SXGA+,1.6 GHZ,W/32MB VID
256MB,DDR,266MHZ 2 DIMMS,I600M <-upgrading the memory would have cost 240 dollars extra - i'm just gonna spend 90 and buy a 512MB stick at newegg.com
60GB HARD DRIVE, I600M 4200RPM<- booo but oh well thats all they had in 30, 40 or 60GB drives for all notebooks were 4200rpm drives.
WINDOWS XP HOME SP1,ENGLISH <-i already have win xp pro
INTERNAL 56K MDM AND NIC
8X DVD DRIVE,I600M
DELL TRUEMOBILE 802.11BG MINIPCI CARD
48W PRIMARY BATTERY I600M
2YR LIMITED WARRANTY
FREE 48W ADDITIONAL BATTERY I600M

it came to 1826 - they aded 22 bucks for tax though? weird - so it is like 1850 for a small compact notebook is not a bad deal at all. i've seen stuff at best buy for 1800 for a much smaller hard drive and slower speed.

now the wireless networking? I want to get a 802.11BG wireless AP. I already have a home network with my cable modem connected to a netgear router. I have one port free on my router. it's a 5 port router.

Now my question is what would be a decent wireless AP? Could i connect a wireless router to my wired router? or do i need a wireless AP and then connect that to my router? Also which brand name would you recommend? I'd like to be able to use my notebook outside in the backyard and everywhere else in the house.

thanks!
Much appreciated!

MrMaster

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2001
www.pc-prime.com
Depends on how much you want to spend. If you go to the hot deals forum you will find wireless routers super cheap. I would suggest just getting a wireless router to replace your current router. Disable dhcp on the wired router and use that as a switch.

I use an orinoco. Others use Linksys and Dlink. The manufacturer doesn't matter all that much IMO.