New computer build, won't boot (or POST)

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Components:

AMD 2600x
ASUS Prime B450M-A
Kington Technology HyperX Predator 8gb 3200MHz DDR4

Older stuff I used from a previous build

AMD Radeon HD6950
Corsair PSU TX650M

Kind of hard to troubleshoot because my new case doesn't feature a speaker, so I'm not hearing any beeps. Everything powers up including the GPU fans, MOBO lights, case fans and CPU fan. It's just nothing happens after that.. no signal to my monitor which is connected by DVI.

Any idea what it could be? My video card and PSU were working up until a couple hours ago when I switched it to the new case, so I doubt it could be that.

Also, how do you troubleshoot without computer speakers to beep warning codes?

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
thinking it could be ram or cpu needing to be reseated.

like a poopy head, I skimped out on the ram by buying the ram used from amazon warehouse deals..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
thinking it could be ram or cpu needing to be reseated.

like a poopy head, I skimped out on the ram by buying the ram used from amazon warehouse deals..

Yeah, you just never know why the RAM was returned. Plus, is that kit on your motherboard QVL list? Ryzen CPUs are a lot more finicky on RAM than Intel. Also, is that RAM one or two modules? If it's two 4GB modules, try removing one of them and see if it will post.

Plus, you remember to plug in the 2 x 4 pin CPU cable, correct?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I also checked Kingston's website to see if it was on their QVL list, but they don't have any B450 motherboards listed at all for Asus. So I checked the B350 version of your motherboard, and the fastest RAM they had listed was 2666 Mhz.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Specially the part number I bought from the list was item number HX432C16PB3K2/16

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Now I can see that kit is in fact on the Asus QVL, then my first guess would be someone damaged the RAM and returned it. Amazon wouldn't really check to see if it worked, and likely would only have briefly looked for physical damage. I'd try a new set, and see if it fixes your problem.

When it comes to "open box" type items, I rarely would trust components like RAM or motherboards because so many people have no idea what they are doing, and could have returned it because they damaged it.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
PC cases haven't included actual speakers for decades now.
Check the "small parts" box (for the PC enclosure), for a less than 1/2" round component with two wire leads on it.
That should substitute as a speaker or beep indicator.
If it's missing, a replacement should be available for under ~$2 on eBay or Amazon.
For the lack of video signal: check that the video card has the correct PCIe power cables.
Or: remove the video card and try using just the on-board video port.
Lastly: check for proper air gap between the motherboard and the mounting plate, and that the CPU fan is plugged into the correct fan port. If the system senses that the CPU cooling fan is not functional, then the safety system will shut the power off within a short time period.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
It seems like the only confirmed problem is that there is no image reaching the monitor.

Obligatory "did you remember to plug your monitor cable into the graphics card, and not the motherboard?" The motherboard port will not work because Ryzen CPUs don't have onboard graphics.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Looks like the two sticks of memory I got from Amazon Warehouse were trash. Two new sticks I got from Best Buy has me up and running, thanks guys..

Idle temp is 40* which I think is on the high side. I have an Hyper 212 Evo that I used with my 2600k, but I'm not sure if the bracket can be used with AM4

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Looks like the two sticks of memory I got from Amazon Warehouse were trash. Two new sticks I got from Best Buy has me up and running, thanks guys..

Idle temp is 40* which I think is on the high side. I have an Hyper 212 Evo that I used with my 2600k, but I'm not sure if the bracket can be used with AM4

That bracket won't work with Ryzen sockets, and 40c at desktop isn't bad at all. The included cooler with your CPU is a good one. It's not bad, and it's not great, but remember it is a heck a lot better than the coolers Intel include with their CPUs. :)

You might be able to buy a mounting kit to work with the EVO, but I've never really looked and don't know how much Cooler Master charges for that sort of thing. It might be cheaper to buy another cooler on sale that is compatible for your socket.

Good to hear you figured out the problem.