Question New computer build, mulling processor choice (strong ST performance needed)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The computer is going to be running a piece of Windows software called 'Exact' (running as a server for about 5 clients), some dental practice management software by a company called 'Software of Excellence'. The previous version had been reasonably happily running on a Core i5-2400, but the latest version is a heck of a lot slower. I've been monitoring the resource usage on the server, the only component that gets hit significantly is the CPU, 2 cores at best seemingly. The current server runs Windows 10, has 8GB RAM (which is at less than 50% usage the entire time), and SATA SSDs in RAID1.

A CPU that can do triple, even quadruple the single-threaded performance of that Sandy i5 would be handy! The server doesn't get used for anything else so I don't think any more than 4 cores are likely to be of particular use at any point soon.

Recommendations would be much appreciated.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Like moinmoin said, earlier mssql express only supported one core.

Oops, I missed that. I stumbled on this thread recently to find new posts despite it being a 'watched' thread.

I think given this software's performance problems really started with the latest version, with old features suddenly becoming significantly slower to react to the user, I'm betting that the devs have gotten lazier with SQL queries (or are just clueless to the potential effects of say how too unnecessarily broad a query can have on performance).

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Oops, I missed that. I stumbled on this thread recently to find new posts despite it being a 'watched' thread.

I think given this software's performance problems really started with the latest version, with old features suddenly becoming significantly slower to react to the user, I'm betting that the devs have gotten lazier with SQL queries (or are just clueless to the potential effects of too unnecessarily broad a query can have on performance).

Or didn't even bother to index.

<---- likes to stare at sql execution plan.