Question New Coilwhine Gigabyte 2070s

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
I've had the Gigabyte 2070s windforce oc since the 3/23. Today I quit back to main menu on tomb raider and realized the card was whining really bad. Loud obnoxious and it fluctuated as I navigated the menu. Tried it in Doom Eternal and again major whine in the menu. This wasn't happening before today. I also checked CSGO which actually had no noticeable whine.

What would cause this to start so suddenly? I've played all of these games several times since getting the card.. Should I try to troubleshoot or just return it to Amazon?

Other specs: x570 aorus elite, 3600, 2x8 gb 3200 cl14, 650 watt evga 80+ gold.

Note: Temps are and have been great on both cpu/gpu.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The whine tends to fluctuate as the card uses power, so if a new more demanding game has more whine that would make sense. Many modern games use real time rendering alongside their menus--for a more complex look obviously, but they aren't static like with older titles.

It's ultimately up to you what you want to do with it. You could try your luck with a replacement card or just deal with it but unless it's really bothering you I'd live with it if the card is otherwise great.

Marleysbeard

Mar 29, 2020
The whine tends to fluctuate as the card uses power, so if a new more demanding game has more whine that would make sense. Many modern games use real time rendering alongside their menus--for a more complex look obviously, but they aren't static like with older titles.

It's ultimately up to you what you want to do with it. You could try your luck with a replacement card or just deal with it but unless it's really bothering you I'd live with it if the card is otherwise great.

Appreciate the response. I'm planing on returning it. If it was more subtle I could ignore it but its very noticeable. To the point I would have to play with headphones at a certain volume to not hear it. I've read EVGA will actually RMA if the whine is annoyingly loud so I may switch to an EVGA card so that I'm covered after a retailers return window closes. Doesn't help that I have tinnitus and high frequency noises tend to make it worse

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sounds good! (no pun intended)

It's mostly a crap shoot when buying cards and minimizing coil whine, as every card on the market has it to a degree--albeit some may not be as audible. If you've sensitive hearing (as do I) it is of course harder and you may even find that some cards get better or worse over time. I've also had instances where I've removed stock coolers in favor of water blocks only to discover that a card I had been using for some time already had somewhat high audible CW levels.

Reactions: Marleysbeard

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Sometimes coil whine only happens at really high fps and game menu screens will often have really high fps. If you turn on a frame limiter to 120 fps, do you still get coil whine?

Reactions: Campy

Guru

May 5, 2017
I've been lucky in that department, I've only had 1 card with coil whine, but its only been occasional, not all the time and the fans are way louder when gaming, to where the CW itself wasn't audible.

I think more cards tend to not have it, but it's basically a CW lottery. You literally may end up having 3 cards in a row having it, on the other hand you might get 5 cards one after another and none have it. Make sure your GPU is tightly screwed as well, sometimes the movement due to the fans can make the card wobble and it can cause issues, not necessarily CW.