New car LED brake lights are too bright

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
They're brighter than your regular break lights, but definitely not blinding...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
They're brighter but not blinding. They also light-up more quickly. All benefits imho. And over time, all cars will have LED brake lights.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
At night, I put on a pair of sunglasses if I'm behind someone like that at a traffic light.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i have not seen the new accord tail lights, but from what i've seen of some other LED tails... i hate them because of how "dotted" they look :p granted, that's just a cosmetic complaint :p

I have yet to encounter any "blinding" brake lights. annoying? yes.

I actually like the fact they are red. what i hate are turn signals that are also red... and i hate them even more when they share the same light as the break light. and the accord is ugly as hell, just had to throw that in there :)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: halik

i disagree. the new LED brake lights are blinding.

It's RED LIGHT.... the chemical in the rods of your eye is not sensitive to red light, so you DON'T GET BLINDED. It will not interfere with your night vision..

red about it here, then shut your vagina

I know all about night vision and the use of red lenses. a bright light is a bright light i don't care what color it is.

Just read the link - human eyes aren't sensitive to red spectrum when in low-light conditions. You can stare into the brake lights and your eyes won't need time to readjust.

I used to hate lifted trucks till I got a car with autodimming mirrors... now I have no complains :)

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh
i have not seen the new accord tail lights, but from what i've seen of some other LED tails... i hate them because of how "dotted" they look :p granted, that's just a cosmetic complaint :p

I actually like the fact they are red. what i hate are turn signals that are also red... and i hate them even more when they share the same light as the break light. and the accord is ugly as hell, just had to throw that in there :)

Yes! I hate that. I want brake lights independent from turn signals. Brake = red, turn = amber.

I've had no problems with blinding brake lights, but have friends who are very sensitive. Basically have their instrumental lights turned all the way down to not effect their night vision but they don't see to have a problem with brake lights.

I have a problem with truck lights too, but my auto-adjusting rearview mirror fixes most of that. Too bad I didn't pay an extra 10k for an audi or other high-end car with auto-adjusting side mirrors too.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Some are too bright. I would imagine that there is some kind of legal guideline in place to keep the light output within a certain range. There are certainly laws or regulations for damn near everything else.

Originally posted by: mobobuff
I don't mind the ones that are too bright, I mind the ones that strobe and you can see the refresh rate leaving broken up light trails in your vision.
Probably comes from bad PWM driving. An LED should only show broken trails if it's being driven by AC. It might even strobe a little bit of it's passed through a bridge rectifier.
Some kind of PWM driver is all I can think of that'd cause LEDs to strobe like that while being driven from a DC source.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They may be a little bit brighter but I don't think they're annoying.

My car has the wanna-be LEDs on it... you know, when they have a pattern on the taillights so the light is diverted to look like LEDs :p.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Mark R
This is why you are not supposed to rest your foot on the footbrake when stopped at lights and there is traffic behind you.

The correct thing to do when waiting in a line of traffic at night is to use the handbrake.

? You made that up, that is absurd.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
i was behind a new Accord last night at a stop light and i swear those new LED brake lights are way way way to bright.

anybody else think so?

HIDs really kill my eyes when driving at night, especially on a two lane highway... dammit, i hate those things.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Crusty
They aren't as bright as all those damn oncoming headlights :(

I dont see many of those HID headlights anymore, well not like i used to. did the USDOT make the car makers stop installing them?

Lots of states made it illegal to use HID headlights in cars that were not originally designed with the HID reflector dishes they're mounted in to focus the beam properly.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Originally posted by: randomlinh

Yes! I hate that. I want brake lights independent from turn signals. Brake = red, turn = amber.

I've had no problems with blinding brake lights, but have friends who are very sensitive. Basically have their instrumental lights turned all the way down to not effect their night vision but they don't see to have a problem with brake lights.

I have a problem with truck lights too, but my auto-adjusting rearview mirror fixes most of that. Too bad I didn't pay an extra 10k for an audi or other high-end car with auto-adjusting side mirrors too.

Brake lights are red, and therefore unlikely to affect your night vision. Of course, all that goes out the window the first time some Honda Civic drives by with nuclear-powered twice-the-brightness-of-the-sun Ebay HIDs.

mayonnaise

Apr 2, 2006
I agree that LED brake lights are too bright... especially when it's wet/raining out. The water shine/reflect makes them really uncomfortable to look at. Sit in traffic for a while behind some and you'll understand what people are complaining about.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Not too bright for me. Actually it alerts me quicker to see when someone is braking. I believe it is illegal to use your parking brake at a stop and not your foot brake here in California I believe, but i could be wrong. My friend does it in his manual car when hes lazy but thats what he told me. What i do find blinding are the raised trucks behind me or the HIDs coming at me on a narrow road.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

Seriously. If I didn't live in Garden Grove and didn't fear for my life as a repercussion I'd smash the hell out of every effing one of those lights when those assholes rolled up behind me.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: aplefka

Seriously. If I didn't live in Garden Grove and didn't fear for my life as a repercussion I'd smash the hell out of every effing one of those lights when those assholes rolled up behind me.

Garden Grove is not that bad.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I actually changed my rear brake lights to LED's for the safety issue plus they looks nicer but my headlights are stock

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
This is why you are not supposed to rest your foot on the footbrake when stopped at lights and there is traffic behind you.

The correct thing to do when waiting in a line of traffic at night is to use the handbrake.

The funny thing about this suggestion is that the handbreak on my car, when it is engaged, turns off all my outside lights. So I look like I'm parked. Excellent way of causing an accident.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: skace
The funny thing about this suggestion is that the handbreak on my car, when it is engaged, turns off all my outside lights. So I look like I'm parked. Excellent way of causing an accident.

Your car is strange :confused:

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
i guess you haven't seen the new LED brake lights. yes they are blinding and oncoming headlights are not right in front of you, 2 feet from your bumper.

I've seen plenty of the new LED brake lights. They simply are not even remotely close to being "blinding".

ZV

funny there are several people in here who agree with me. guess you are the minority. good for you.

Why don't you create a poll and lets find out who is in the minority for real.

Agreed. Many people, including me, don't have a problem with them at all.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
This was a tip about night driving told me by an advanced driving instructor.

a) You don't dazzle the person behind.
b) If the car behind gets rear-ended, or otherwise shunts into you, the first thing that happens to you is your foot comes off the brake pedal. If the handbrake isn't on, the car will roll forward and hit the car in front (or roll into the intersection, if you are first).

1) If the person behind you gets dazzled by brake lights the he or she has no business being on the road at night because he or she has obvious and severe night vision problems. If they are distracted by something as relatively dim as brake lights (and yes, even the new LED lights are relatively dim when compared to headlights) then the headlights from oncoming cars must practically be blinding to them, which makes them a danger to everyone else on the road.

2) If you have a standard transmission and you are hit from behind, your foot will also come off the clutch, at which point the engine will stall and the car will be prevented from rolling forward that way.

3) If you're hit hard enough that your foot comes off the brake, you're almost certainly going to be forced into the car in front of you even if you had the handbrake on.

4) If you have an automatic transmission, you end up putting unnecessary wear on the transmission's clutchpacks by shifting out of gear and back into gear each time you stop.

5) If you have your handbrake on and you need to start moving again quickly, you lose time dis-engaging the parking brake (essentially you are taking away one of your emergency maneuver options).

Unless you are going to be stopped for an extended period of time, you should have your vehicle in gear and you should be using the service brake to keep from rolling. The parking brake is for parking, which makes the name "parking brake" rather convenient.

ZV

i disagree. the new LED brake lights are blinding.

More blinding than oncoming headlights..?

How do you manage to go by a lit-up emergency vehicle without crashing? :confused:

i guess you haven't seen the new LED brake lights. yes they are blinding and oncoming headlights are not right in front of you, 2 feet from your bumper.

You do realize that you can control how far away someone's brake lights are from you............

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I've been behind them. They're brighter than normal, but they weren't blinding by any means.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: skace

Your car is strange :confused:

It's probably a Subaru, mine does that. The Park brake turns off all external lights ( unless you hit the "parking lights" button on the steering column, which brings back the tailights and secondary headlights).

*Edit* Nope I was wrong, the park brake on my Subaru does not turn off the headlights and taillights. It only turns off the Daytime Running Lights. So now I can't figure out what that silly "parking lights" button is supposed to be for. It doesn't seem to do anything different. *