New Car (135is)

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
My 04 Mini Cooper S is on borrowed time at 115k miles. Still runs OK, but have had some issues over the last year that have questioned my ability to get to work reliably enough.

A 2013 135is with 50k miles and a six speed popped up near me for $24k. Test drove it and bought it on the spot.

I know there are newer, faster, cheaper etc options out there but I really like simple, old school styling and feel. Also, these are pretty rare so with any luck it might actually retain some good value especially since I only drive ~7k miles a year.

Will definitely be getting an aftermarket warranty!

nBEe05th.jpg

AkZO1G9h.jpg

Q9Alv9Ph.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: x26

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
What exhaust does it have? That doesn't look like the factory exhaust. Love the color though. The 135's in general are holding their value quite well, probably in the top 3 BMW's for lowest depreciation.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
The IS version comes with the Performance Exhaust and PPK package standard. Slightly more powerful than the standard 135i (320 vs 300hp and 317 vs 300tq).

Sounds... excellent!

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
NIce. I've never driven one of those but I've always thought they seemed like they'd be a blast to jet around town in.

Are you sure you're set on an aftermarket warranty? Is this particular year prone to any failure? I would just take the money (I'm assuming a few grand) and throw it in a savings account.

If you MUST have a warranty for peace of mind get it from BMW. If not, post the name of the company here and I'll run it by a friend who deals with this kind of stuff.

I've had two out of warranty BMWs and now an out of warranty MB and I've never had a major issue. I know there are horror stories about stuff like valve stem seal replacement but you really think an aftermarket warranty company is going to pay for something like that? I'd say very slim chance.

Besides - there are guys all over the country who do it for like $2000 now.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
The IS version comes with the Performance Exhaust and PPK package standard. Slightly more powerful than the standard 135i (320 vs 300hp and 317 vs 300tq).

Sounds... excellent!

I know, I just didn't remember the tips sticking out that far but a quick search would seem to indicate that's normal. JB4 more than solves the power difference. :p

NIce. I've never driven one of those but I've always thought they seemed like they'd be a blast to jet around town in.

Are you sure you're set on an aftermarket warranty? Is this particular year prone to any failure? I would just take the money (I'm assuming a few grand) and throw it in a savings account.

As long as you're not TridenT, they're not terribly bad. You can expect water pump by 80k miles, which is roughly $500 if you do it yourself. You're usually looking at $1,300-ish at the dealer. It's not the easiest water pump to replace either, unless you have a lift. If it's still got the OEM charge pipe, expect that to blow at some point. If you've never had something like that happen before, expect it to scare the crap out of you when it happens. Don't replace it with another OEM one, get a metal one. It's a pretty easy install. That's about $300. But that's the only major-ish expected expenses. A/C compressor died on my around 85k but the combo of the water pump dying right before that an AZ weather probably didn't help that. That's not a known common failure. I'm 3.5 years into mine and it's just under 90k miles. $3,172 in maintenance/repairs. That includes routine stuff (3 oil changes, a full set of rotors and pads on all 4 corners, and a new set of Pilot Supersports on the back) and the actual repairs (water pump, A/C system, charge pipe).

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Is that Mystic blue? Reminds me of the interlagos on my M3. Really nice looking car, those 135s are easily my favorite modern BMWs. I've had a couple of them wave at me like the WRX/STI club :p

Change those grills back to chrome!

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Its Le Mans Blue - but BMW has so many blues that are so close its hard to tell the difference. The black grills match the black side view mirrors!

As for the warranty, it seems like the general consensus is that you WILL have to do some work between 50-100k, like waterpump, seals etc. The N55 is more reliable than the N54 but its still expensive compared to a civic.

I'm looking at the Penfed warranty which I believe is Route 66. 3 grand for 5 years/100k miles. The mini I had before had an aftermarket warranty transferred to me and it paid ~1500 in the first year so I was happy with it (of course that was free for me though).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, the water pump is basically guaranteed. Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing one last to 100k miles. I've got two friends with multiple N55's as well. All theirs were right around 80k as well.

They are great fun cars though. Many call them the last true drivers BMW and I have a lot of people (with faster cars) tell me mine pulls really hard for only 300hp.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Woulda gotten a warranty, if ya could... These aren't particularly fun cars to work on, IMO. My water pump died at 40k. I've gone through more than a full set of tires in 15k miles. Oil changes aren't too expensive, fortunately. The oil is only $20-25 for 5 quarts and filters only $10ish. But, ya, everything else is expensive... I've posted about it somewhere here and all the stuff I had to do. I'm pretty sure something in the rear end of the car is fucked up and/or my driveshaft needs to be completely replaced. Not 100% sure as I haven't looked under the car enough recently.

Anyway... good for you. Yes, I am also on 1addicts.

I'm at 54.6k miles. Bought it around 35k. Paid $22k in 2016. I got a good deal minus all the issues. Still haven't replaced the oil filter housing gasket. It keeps leaking. Quart of oil will just magically disappear sometimes and sometimes not. Good ol' oil leak.

That and be prepared to pay out your ass for gas. I average 16mpg. Most of the time it's closer to 14-15 but I do road trips with just cruising in the car too. So, that bumps mpg up to low 20s.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Woulda gotten a warranty, if ya could... These aren't particularly fun cars to work on, IMO. My water pump died at 40k. I've gone through more than a full set of tires in 15k miles. Oil changes aren't too expensive, fortunately. The oil is only $20-25 for 5 quarts and filters only $10ish. But, ya, everything else is expensive... I've posted about it somewhere here and all the stuff I had to do. I'm pretty sure something in the rear end of the car is fucked up and/or my driveshaft needs to be completely replaced. Not 100% sure as I haven't looked under the car enough recently.

Anyway... good for you. Yes, I am also on 1addicts.

I'm at 54.6k miles. Bought it around 35k. Paid $22k in 2016. I got a good deal minus all the issues. Still haven't replaced the oil filter housing gasket. It keeps leaking. Quart of oil will just magically disappear sometimes and sometimes not. Good ol' oil leak.

That and be prepared to pay out your ass for gas. I average 16mpg. Most of the time it's closer to 14-15 but I do road trips with just cruising in the car too. So, that bumps mpg up to low 20s.

Yeah, I'm averaging 20 mpg right now -- not too concerned as I don't drive all that much. My Mini only got ~25 mpg, also premium and of course needed frequent pricey repairs so really its all expected. I still might go for the Route 66 warranty through Penfed, will research more around when my 3 month initial BMW warranty is gone. Tires are actually cheaper than I thought they'd be... and this car came with brand new tires all around so we'll see how long the rears last. Can't complain if I get ~3 seasons out of them + a winter set.

So far its all great, car is amazing. As long as I don't get terribly unlucky with something not covered by a warranty (idrive system impoding) I think I'll manage!