New camera is slightly defective...

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
I purchased the Canon S3 IS via Amazon.com around a week ago and after viewing some other forums I was informed that some of the S3s had bad navigation arrows where they would not have tactile feedback. 3 out of 4 of my arrows are 'mushy' and do not have that click when pressed down.

Now, I'm wondering if I should try and get an exchange or what to do. Is it worth the hassle trying to exchange it... especially via an online retailer (Amazon.com). I'm not even sure if I can exchange the camera without any type of restocking fee which most local retailers seem to charge.

Also, it would suck to be without the camera for however long it takes to ship back and get a replacement.

Thanks for any input.

Edit: Forum link - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf...?forum=1010&message=20931051&q=s3&qf=m

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Does it still work well? Who cares if it doesn't 'click'? If it's worth the effort to you then return it, but if it were me I wouldn't bother.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: cpals
I purchased the Canon S3 IS via Amazon.com around a week ago and after viewing some other forums I was informed that some of the S3s had bad navigation arrows where they would not have tactile feedback. 3 out of 4 of my arrows are 'mushy' and do not have that click when pressed down.

Now, I'm wondering if I should try and get an exchange or what to do. Is it worth the hassle trying to exchange it... especially via an online retailer (Amazon.com). I'm not even sure if I can exchange the camera without any type of restocking fee which most local retailers seem to charge.

Also, it would suck to be without the camera for however long it takes to ship back and get a replacement.

Thanks for any input.

If it's genuinely defective I can't see there being any sort of restocking fee. Of course, if it doesn't affect the functionality of the camera Amazon may not see it as a defect...

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Does it still work well? Who cares if it doesn't 'click'? If it's worth the effort to you then return it, but if it were me I wouldn't bother.

Yes, the camera works quite well and I usually don't have to use the navigation menu too much. The problem comes in when I've read on a couple forums that over time the buttons may get harder and harder to get response out of without pressing down more on them.

I guess it depends if I want to take the chance or not.