New build..

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
Hi guys im new here as you can see and thought id register to this site as its really informative and has lots of good info and tech stuff. Pretty much just got my new build running and got straight into the Overclocking business..

I went with a liquid cooling solution that i have heard great things from and it seems to be doing well but im new to this platform so not sure. Its the 3930k and iv got it running stable @ 100.1 x 50 - 1.54v. Any of you guys know, id be happy to hear your opinion on the temps and overclock i have done. Think its safe to leave like this in regards to temp / voltage ? :rolleyes:

ei4g7k.jpg

Last edited:

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
I'd back it down. That voltage is very high. Try 4.6Ghz at 1.35v

Oh okay, iv heard that even if temps are good and voltage is very high it degrades the chip fair bit. I just didn't know what is considered " Too High Voltage" on this chip.. Would you say my temps are okay, doesn't go over 70 degrees in Prime95 even at this oc. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Oh okay, iv heard that even if temps are good and voltage is very high it degrades the chip fair bit. I just didn't know what is considered " Too High Voltage" on this chip.. Would you say my temps are okay, doesn't go over 70 degrees in Prime95 even at this oc. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply.

Temps are very good. Its just you're above the maximum safe voltage for that processor.

Phishy714

Jun 11, 2012
If its just for benching purposes, then do your benches and then volt it down a bit. I believe the max voltage for the chip is 1.5v - you really don't want to go above that - or anywhere near that for a 24/7 overclock.

4.6ghz @ 1.35v sounds like a happy medium that you can keep your PC on. No need for crazy overclocks 24/7 cause it will kill your chip.

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
What do you do that you need that much clockspeed?

I guess very few people in this world really need a 3930k 6 core running anywhere near that high but i like OC,ing, playing around with settings and benching really. My honest answer is i don't need that much.. I do it cause i can. lol Sorry, do you know what is in fact a safe voltage for this chip ?

Ah yep thanks, yeah over 1.5v to me kinda sounded nasty but my temps were okay so i kinda didn't freak out.. I can do 4.9ghz @ 1.49v but i kinda don't need it that high.. I never keep my hardware long really as always find myself upgrading when stuff comes out so i guess i don't really need this CPU for years and years. Was excited to get back into this stuff so i got carried away.. lol

Yeah cool ill back it off.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I guess very few people in this world really need a 3930k 6 core running anywhere near that high but i like OC,ing, playing around with settings and benching really. My honest answer is i don't need that much.. I do it cause i can. lol Sorry, do you know what is in fact a safe voltage for this chip ?

Thanks,

Ah yep thanks, yeah over 1.5v to me kinda sounded nasty but my temps were okay so i kinda didn't freak out.. I can do 4.9ghz @ 1.49v but i kinda don't need it that high.. I never keep my hardware long really as always find myself upgrading when stuff comes out so i guess i don't really need this CPU for years and years. Was excited to get back into this stuff so i got carried away.. lol

Safe voltage is stock, anyone who tells you any other numbers is giving you an opinion not a fact. You won't get a "this voltage is safe for 24/7 running" response that is anything other than hearsay although it has already been pointed out a few times that 1.35v is a reasonably safe number to aim for.

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for your replies and opinions. Yeah i guess it all depends on what your doing and how long you want it to last. Even though iv just seen fair few running at high voltages like that, it is bound to seriously shorten lifespan but its to what point that im interested in i guess. ;)

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Safe voltage is stock, anyone who tells you any other numbers is giving you an opinion not a fact. You won't get a "this voltage is safe for 24/7 running" response that is anything other than hearsay although it has already been pointed out a few times that 1.35v is a reasonably safe number to aim for.

You're actually very wrong.

All cpu voltage standards that are set by the manufacturer include a "margin of safety"

Just like roller-coaster rail beams are much thicker than they need to be, up to 25x.

So, safe voltage is actually NOT a myth, rumor, or opinion; It is a tangible fact ^_^

I can tell you're not an engineer.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah cool ill back it off.

Don't back off, because you honestly don't have to.

SBE is highly binned, they're very good silicon. They were meant to be taken to the limit.

worse thing that can happen, is your chip degrades in 2 years. In that period, the performance it gives you will be trumped by newer products.

And this degredation is not pass-fail, it's more like you can't hold 5ghz, but you can still hold 4.8.

So you see, there's absolutely NO REASON to back down. Because you are not doing 24/7 computing.

The cpu will spend most of it's time idling and running firefox where the VID will be well below 1.5v. ^_^

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
Don, why are you asking questions that you know the answers to. it's for the e-peen :cool:

Or are you just making sure that you yourself wins in that king of the hills thread. LOLOL

Umm its just logic.. Obviously i didn't know because iv been told that i have it too high in which i have now backed it down so my question was valid and the answer was helpful. Me guessing is not knowing. lol See there is a number of different opinions and answers here hence why i made a thread.. Getting some info before i decide what im going to do. And yeah exactly, 2 years wow i don't even expect myself to last that long, i don't look very far into the future and have never really kept a CPU longer than a year and a half in my life.. lol

I set it to 4.9ghz @ 1.48v Just testing now.. Haha Yeah i guess i can have 2 settings, 1. for gaming, browsing and video ed.. Other just for benching.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Last edited:

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Umm its just logic.. Obviously i didn't know because iv been told that i have it too high in which i have now backed it down so my question was valid and the answer was helpful. Me guessing is not knowing. lol See there is a number of different opinions and answers here hence why i made a thread.. Getting some info before i decide what im going to do. And yeah exactly, 2 years wow i don't even expect myself to last that long, i don't look very far into the future and have never really kept a CPU longer than a year and a half in my life.. lol

I set it to 4.9ghz @ 1.48v Just testing now.. Haha Yeah i guess i can have 2 settings, 1. for gaming, browsing and video ed.. Other just for benching.

Thanks! :biggrin:

There only needs to be one setting, because the CPU is adaptively clocked.

It'll ramp down to 1.6 when you're doing your browsing, and back up to full when you do bigger tasks.

So imagine the computer's day like this, 90% of the time, 1.6ghz_1.0v, 10% of the time 5ghz_1.5v

Now, lets extrapolate

you keep the chip for a year.

8 hour computer time per day.

365 days * 8 hours * 10% (@ 1.5v) =

292 hrs total @ 5ghz 1.5v over a YEAR

I think you're pretty safe. ^_^

White_Ice

Jun 19, 2012
There only needs to be one setting, because the CPU is adaptively clocked.

It'll ramp down to 1.6 when you're doing your browsing, and back up to full when you do bigger tasks.

So imagine the computer's day like this, 90% of the time, 1.6ghz_1.0v, 10% of the time 5ghz_1.5v

Now, lets extrapolate

you keep the chip for a year.

8 hour computer time per day.

365 days * 8 hours * 10% (@ 1.5v) =

292 hrs total @ 5ghz 1.5v over a YEAR

I think you're pretty safe. ^_^

Hahaha Yeah if i have "speedstep" on yes which is a good idea and ya i like your reasoning.. ;)

Oh i just seen the king of the hills thing and now i know what your talking about, 100 posts will take a while. lol

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Hahaha Yeah if i have "speedstep" on yes which is a good idea and ya i like your reasoning.. ;)

Oh i just seen the king of the hills thing and now i know what your talking about, 100 posts will take a while. lol

100posts? would take me 2 days tops. ;)