Solved! New build won't power on. Couple questions with trouble shooting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I just finished my new build and when I hit the power button nothing happened. My reading says it's either a bad power supply, bad power switch or bad motherboard. Are there any other possibilities. I get nothing not even a spinning fan. When I was installing the CPU. I bent some pins but unbent them and everything looked good. The CPU seemed to seat ok. I also read that a bad CPU will keep it from posting but it still should power on. I tried the screw driver on the power switch pins trick. I have this power supply LEPA G1200-MA 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Power Supply. I just so happened to have gotten a power supply tester to test another power supply so I can check when that gets here. It was working fine when I pulled the old motherboard. It is about 5 years old but didn't see heavy use. The new MSI mb is an X470 Gaming Plus Max. It has an eight pin and a four pin motherboard power connection. I have the 8 pin plugged in but not the 4 pin. My understanding is that the 4 pin is only necessary for overclocking. Any other suggestion as to what the problem could be or what other steps before I blame it on a bad motherboard?

Solution
Looks like it was the CPU not seated properly. I checked the CPU and one of the pins was still slightly bent so I straightened it. I checked the socket with a magnifying glass and it looked like there was something in two of the pin sockets. I used a brush and cleaned it. I reseated the CPU plugged everything back in and now I'm booted into BIOS! I had to use a little force to pop the CPU into the socket though. I have never had to do that before. Thanks for all the assistance. I'll see how the OS install goes.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looks like it was the CPU not seated properly. I checked the CPU and one of the pins was still slightly bent so I straightened it. I checked the socket with a magnifying glass and it looked like there was something in two of the pin sockets. I used a brush and cleaned it. I reseated the CPU plugged everything back in and now I'm booted into BIOS! I had to use a little force to pop the CPU into the socket though. I have never had to do that before. Thanks for all the assistance. I'll see how the OS install goes.

I've always hated that "CRUNCH," sound when seating a CPU into the socket.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Never had to do that. I usually use ASUS boards. This is the first MSI board I have used since my Athlon X2 build eons ago.

I almost ALWAYS used ASUS boards. The last one I built was an I5-760...11+ years ago. Maybe things have changed since then?
(the "crunch" sound is when you use the board mechanism to lock the CPU down onto the socket.)

saleemsartawi

Oct 3, 2022
I have a power problem but it's not the same, can anyone help please:
Hello,

I'm building an AMD PC, using B550 mini iTX, my build needs 175w, and since I only need 12v, I moved to powering my pc with an external barrel adapter, the one we use for laptops.
this adapter gives 12v 300w output, and working fine, to connect it to my pc I needed a 300W Output Switch Power Supply Module for PC DC 12V 24Pin Pico PSU ATX Switch PSU.
The problem is that when I connect it to the PC it only powers the cpu cooler, with no other signs whatsoever.
I also tried connecting the same PC to a regular 600w power supply, and it worked just fine and I installed windows on it.
My build is pretty small, and no power supply can fit inside the case.
My assumption is that the motherboard is not recognizing the 24pin connector attached to it since it's not a known power supply.
I hope anyone can give me an advice in which I can still use the external power option, I thought it might help if there is any way to introduce the 24 pin driver to the motherboard bios.
thanks.