new build won't post (biostar a770e3)

Pyromidion

Aug 22, 2001
I just bought a complete new system, including the biostar a770e3 mobo, athlon II 3.2ghz x 3 CPU (am3), EVGA GTX500ti video, 2gbx2 Gskill 1333 memory, 2x500gb SATA II HDDs. I am currently using a 430w antec PSU.

The CPU is seated and with HSF installed, ram is seated and latched, Video is seated and powered (PSU has 6-pin aux). The computer will not POST.

the case fans, CPU fans, and HDDs spin up, the KBD flashes once. No video. no beeps. I've tried with no HDDs, no memory and with memory in different slots, and with no video card, reseated CPU with no results. I have no spare parts in which to swap to narrow down the trouble spot.

is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have any recommendations?

-John

Pyromidion

Aug 22, 2001
Is there anyone in the San Jose, CA area that has an AM3 socket mobo w/ a pci-e x16 slot that would be willing to help me test my components?

Pyromidion

Aug 22, 2001
I was about to RMA the system when it POSTed outside the case. Now back in the case, its not booting again. is this a short somewhere? I'm going to try and find some non-metallic washers...

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Check around the backplate area. Sometimes a metal tang will touch somewhere it's not supposed to. I had to bend mine twice to get my board and plate square and flush.

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
I have this board and can assure you its a solid board. Its definitely a short or something else. Sometimes issues like this arise because the problem is actually located in a place where we least expect, which makes us grow in intelligence. Good luck, im sure you will find the culprit.

OldPueblo

Jul 21, 2005
I have a similar issue, I cannot get it to finish post. Everything looks perfectly fine but when it gets to the post screen that shows the hardware monitoring (temps, rail voltages, etc) it won't do the last bit to transfer it to a boot device. It just stops there. If I have no SATA attached at all then it goes on to say no boot device found. The odd thing here is I've tried different hard drives, a USB drive, and to boot from DVDs with no hard drives attached just to see if it goes past that part. I even put in a hard drive that had a full windows install on it already from almost the same chipset. I also swapped RAM and SATA ports, and toggled the AHCI modes in the BIOS. No change, this one has me stumped.

The one anomaly is that I put a 1100T in it but the board has been in a box on my shelf (new) for about a year and the BIOS isn't updated to recognize the processor. It still boots as I've said, it just says unknown processor. I wouldn't think this would cause that issue though.

OldPueblo

Jul 21, 2005
Well you learn something new every day, I dropped in an x3 720 and it went past that part of post just fine. So it does need a BIOS update to move forward I guess.