New build, power comes on but no image on screen

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by dann3312, Oct 29, 2012.

1. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

Hi,

I am building my first computer and have got to the stage of booting but when i press the power button the screen shows nothing despite PSU, GPU, CPU cooler fans all spinning.

I have the following installed;

Asrock Z77 Extreme-4
    i5-3570k
    MSI Gtx 660
    8gb (2x4gb) corsair vengeance
    Lite-on 128gb ssd (LZT-128)
    Antec 620WPSU
    Cooler Master Elite 430

i installed everything pressed the power button and the fans started but no display was shown. do i need to put anything on the ssd or do something with the bios? obviously i dont know much about building computers

also the monitor i am using is a phillips 221E and it is connected via DVI to the graphics card

#1 dann3312, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. MagnusTheBrewer

Do you get a post beep?
    Is your monitor plugged into the GPU as opposed to the MB?
    Is the aux. power line plugged into the GTX 660?

3. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

i do not get a post beep but the power LED on the case does come on.
    yes plugged into the DVI port of the GPU
    What is the aux. power line? i have the 6 pin cable plugged in to the GPU from the PSU

#3 dann3312, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. MagnusTheBrewer

Yes, the 6 pin is what I meant. Well, since none of the obvious possibilities are suspect, you need to start at the beginning. Do a minimal install with one stick of ram and no drives attached outside the case. Make sure the one stick of ram is in the correct slot for that configuration. Try to boot. If no joy, try the other stick of ram. Try to boot after the addition of each component.

5. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

OK so this time, with one stick of RAM (in the closest slot to the CPU) no SSD, no DVDRW, no GPU, the fans started then stopped and kept repeating this until i held the power button for 5 secs, same for both RAM sticks

6. MagnusTheBrewer

Did you take it out of the case?

7. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

just took it out of case and still nothing, still fans just turning on and off

8. MagnusTheBrewer

Well, we're running out of options. Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

9. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

nope, how do i do that?

10. MagnusTheBrewer

Page 13 of your manual shows the jumper in the lower right corner of the MB.

11. MagnusTheBrewer

Apparently, there's a reset button on the rear IO. You really need to read the manual before building.

12. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

haha sorry i feel extremely stupid, but what do i do with that?

thanks for the help so far

13. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

yeah i have pressed the reset button next to the power button and the clear CMOS button on the rear IO

14. C1

C1 Golden Member

Try using the VGA port for now to see what happens.

15. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

OK so I have tried many combinations of RAM and display cords and clearing CMOS. nothing has worked, just went to the asrock website to check compatibility of the RAM

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/?cat=Memory

im using cmz8gx3msa1600c9 and it does not appear to be on the list, is this likely to be the problem?

16. SgtSmokeyMcPot

SgtSmokeyMcPot Junior Member

hey dann okay I had this same problem, but with a different setup. What I realized was the problem was that the graphics card was not getting enough power. Even though the fans and everything spins does not mean It has enough power.
    You currently may be connecting the power supply to the card by 20 pin connector. There is a 24 pin connector(hopefully in power supply), which u need to connect to supply it with the extra power. Hope that solves your problem.

17. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

It could very well be this. Not only is this module not in the Asrock memory compatibility list, but it also isn't listed as a compatible module in Corsair's own product finder for the Z77 Extreme4.

When you decide to build a system and pick a specific motherboard to build around, always check the memory compatibility list from the motherboard manufacturer before you purchase any memory modules. Or, at least check the memory manufacturer's website as they'll usually have a product wizard to help you screen for compatible modules. The memory manufacturer's compatibility lists aren't always 100% accurate, but it is far better than rolling the dice and just hoping what you bought will work.

18. dann3312

dann3312 Junior Member

Thanks to everyone who helped, it appeared to be the memory, so got that all fixed, was using it for a few days, was super happy with it, but then just now it switched itself off all of a sudden and wont turn back on.

when i press the power button the psu powers on, and anything connected directly to the psu (a case fan, hdd, optical drive) but nothing else works, no lights on mobo, no fans spinning, nothing. does this sound like a dead mobo?

EDIT: false alarm, somehow the 24pin came unplugged despite not moving the case and both side panels were securely fixed in place (WTF???)

#18 dann3312, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

You likely didn't have it all the way in the socket, and heat expansion from the electrical current probably nudged it out.

However, if you're going to have a problem, that is the kind to have (i.e. simple to diagnose, easy to fix...).