New build - High-end Gamer (need review)

Brume

Feb 21, 2013
Hello there,

I will sell my old built soon and im looking to a replacement. I have put many parts together, let's take a look..!! Feel free to comments every suggestion or comment is welcome..!

I'm mostly a Gamer but i will use this PC as workstation with a little OC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ENmd

CPU : Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MB : Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage : Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
GPU : PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case : Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU : Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Drive : Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Monitor : Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor

components im not sure as yet is:
MB ( a bit overkill but i love the design)
Monitor 1200 vs 1080
Ram (found an interesting article about higher memory performance on Intell built) and they are really cheap for this quality

Blue-ray Drive ( not sure if really needed)

what do you think??

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Could you please answer [thread=80121]some questions[/thread] for us? "Workstation" for what, besides gaming?

Why not a full ATX mobo? How about an ASRock Extreme 3 or 4?

PSU power is overkill; platinum is way overkill.

No HDD? I think you'll find that SSD cramped without one.

found an interesting article about higher memory performance on Intell built
Link? I've seen other interesting articles. IGP performance shouldn't matter with a discrete GPU.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
You don't need the Samsung 840 Pro or a power supply that big. That motherboard doesn't offer anything over a substantially cheaper one. If you don't use integrated graphics, that extra RAM speed is worth nothing, and that RAM is prone to errors and breaking down because the heatspreaders don't do anything to keep it cool and functioning at those crazy speeds.

For a workstation, depending on what you do, you may want more threads and a GPU with CUDA cores (that is, Nvidia over AMD) and if it's for calculations, overclocking is a bad idea.

I think you have more money than common sense, and not enough research into what exactly you need. What programs will you be running on this gaming rig/workstation?

If the workstation part is a major concern, go with something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($260.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($172.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($353.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1246.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 13:53 EST-0500)

If you don't really care, you can put the i5-3570K and 7970 back in; the rest of the parts are better priced and better suited for your needs than what you picked.

Last edited:

Brume

Feb 21, 2013
That true i didn't put all needed information.

Workstation will be use for web browsing, and office not much else. It is more oriented toward gaming.

I pick a mATX Mobo simply because i really like the design of ROG. I have think about Mpower or Xtrem 3 or 4 too not sure yet.

I already own a HDD that why i didn't add it first.

PSU i know it is a bit too much, im looking for stability normally around 60-70% workload is the best, im may be wrong on that. I may look for a 650w replacement.

As for the common sense comment. I have perform research and use the forum for fine-tunning it's the way of doing it good right??

Why do you think the SSD is not suitable ? Any recommandation ??

For memory usage your right, It matter only with IGP make no real improvement combine with a GPU.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
...So it's a gaming rig that's also used for normal computer tasks. I can see why you'd be confused: around here, "workstation" implies doing things like CAD or Mathlab work--serious work (for a job or something) where accuracy is important. If that's not the case, then the i5-3570K is enough.

A computer fully at load with a 7970 only takes 400W--a 500W PSU will only be at 80% load and a 650W PSU will only be at 61% load.

If you did research parts from reviewers and not from first-party pages filled with marketing, you'd realize that the Gene offers very little, if anything, over a $130 mobo like the Asrock Z77 Similarly, you would know that a Samsung 840 (non-Pro), while less durable than the 840 Pro, has no problem keeping up with the workload expected of a gaming rig for several years.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
CPU : Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MB : Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage : Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
GPU : PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case : Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU : Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Drive : Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Monitor : Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor

Some comments:
- CPU: Good
- HSF: Good
- Mobo: Overkill. Getting a fancy motherboard is a great way to waste money on machine. Also, getting a Micro-ATX board for a big ATX case like the 600T doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The ASRock Z77 Pro4 will do what you need (as you've laid it out for us) and comes with some free memory.
- RAM: DDR3 2133 is a waste for a non-IGP solution (I would argue that it is a waste there too because you'd rather just buy a GPU). Grab another stick to match the free one that comes with the mobo and call it good.
- SSD: Good, but a little pricy compared to the non-Pro version.
- GPU: Good
- Case: OK
- PSU: Overkill. A quality 650W like this XFX Core will do what you need and more for $62 AR AP.
- ODD: OK
- Monitor: Good