new build for video editing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Seems to me if the video cameras have firewire out you should maybe switch the motherboard to one that has firewire support. I'm thinking it would be better to upload video from camcorder with firewire than memory cards.

Here's a couple of MB's that have firewire support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130291

I'm with this guy!

Multicard readers also have to have slots on the mobo to back them up. If the card reader has firewire it won't work until the card reader is hooked up to the mobo. If that was obvious I apologize but sometimes people don't get that...

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
When you buy firewire cards look for the ones with the TI chipsets, have used those for years and never had a single problem while other people went with whatever brands and had issues. Never investigated what it was because all of them are supposed to be compliant but TI chips never let me down and worked with hardware other chips wouldn't.

Lee Saxon

Jan 31, 2010
Considering you've got $600 left between that proposed build and your estimated budget, I say it is ABSOLUTELY worth it to get 16GB RAM instead of 8GB.

Is the Asus 460 card better than the EVGA one? Should I switch that in my build?

Steve3596

Jan 8, 2009
so I bought all of the equipment to build this computer, and again thanks for all the recommendations.

So ive run into a hiccup, Im trying to install windows 7 on the computer, and as it is running the install I get a message that says CD/DVD driver missing, please insert a driver disc containing the necessary drivers.

Well I insert the disc that came with the blu-ray burner and Windows 7 continually says there is no relevant driver necessary. All of the disc's that came with every component of my computer come up with the same message. What should I do?

Enhancelogic

Jun 23, 2010
I heard Fermi does wonders for video encoding so would he benefit from an SLI setup with two Fermi cards?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
In the BIOS, set the CD drive to IDE emulation mode. Then see if windows will see it. After the OS is installed, it can be changed back to what you want it to be.

Steve3596

Jan 8, 2009
I tried putting it in IDE mode, no success, since I can get free downloads of each type of windows, maybe I could install Vista, then update the firmware, then install Windows 7, would that work?

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
I heard Fermi does wonders for video encoding so would he benefit from an SLI setup with two Fermi cards?

Not with Adobe, All the Video Encoding/ Rendering is still done on the CPU, and one card does fine running Mercury for previews. CAN GPU computing accelerate rendering? Yes. Are there apps out which support it yet? Not a lot...

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I tried putting it in IDE mode, no success, since I can get free downloads of each type of windows, maybe I could install Vista, then update the firmware, then install Windows 7, would that work?

Vista is unlikely to work if 7 doesn't.

Anyway, the drivers that Windows is asking for are the drivers for the drive controller (i.e. the thing on the mobo that you plug the drive into) NOT the drive itself.

Did you end up getting the GA-P55A-UD3 that was recommended? If so, make sure that all of your drives are plugged into the ICH10R, NOT either of the addon controllers. The Windows installer already has drivers for it. Consult the manual to determine which ports are connected to which controller. The ICH10R is one of the best controllers out there, and there is really no reason to use anything else.

Steve3596

Jan 8, 2009
I ended up getting the ASUS P7P55D-E, but I figuring out the problem. It was the installer disk that I was trying to use. I downloaded Windows 7 professional 64 from the MSDAA due to my student status I get it for free. After multiple attempts and failing, I found someone who had a store bought copy of Professional 64 and the install worked fine with their disk, so just entering in my code at the end it all worked. Must have been a bad download through the Microsoft network or just a bad burn from the ISO.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I ended up getting the ASUS P7P55D-E, but I figuring out the problem. It was the installer disk that I was trying to use. I downloaded Windows 7 professional 64 from the MSDAA due to my student status I get it for free. After multiple attempts and failing, I found someone who had a store bought copy of Professional 64 and the install worked fine with their disk, so just entering in my code at the end it all worked. Must have been a bad download through the Microsoft network or just a bad burn from the ISO.

Sounds good! Glad you got it working!