New Build ~$5000

Scaletta09

Aug 6, 2017
I've waited a little over 4 years now to build a new pc and since I built my old one, a lot has changed in my life, including what workloads I need to tackle.

Here's what I do with my pc in order of importance:
Gaming
Video Encoding/Rendering/Editing for 2 friends' channels, every evening, sometimes 2 videos each a day.
Benchmarking
AutoCAD 2D/3D and Inventor

I do not have a ton of time in the evenings after my construction job for everything, so I want the videos to be finished as fast as possible.
My budget is $5000-$5500. I do not care about price per performance, just want as much performance as I can get reasonably.

I'd prefer not to have a quad core again or less than 6 period. I'd also prefer to have 2 or more graphics cards as I run 2 4k screens and will probably get another one in the next year or so.
Since I also benchmark and overclock, I'd also like to have AIOs or at least a good performing loop, even though I know the temp difference will only be a few degrees. I'd be willing to wait on threadripper but if it's going to be only a few frames/seconds/score, I don't particularly care about it.

Other specs I'm looking for:
High number of sata slots and expansion slots
Quad channel memory in case I ever need more (or wanna show off)
I don't care about noise, after all the noise in the field, kinda just stop caring after awhile

I do have an idea of what I need/want, just want some ideas in case I decide to change what I build.

My current pc build now:

i7 4770k @ 4.9 GHz
MSI z87-G45 Gaming
32GB Ripjaws DDR3-2133
2x EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid SLI (Just sold both to a friend)
Zotac GTX 970 until I can build another
HX850i PSU (failing currently)
2x Toshiba 2TB HDD
240GB OCZ SSD

The reason why I'm upgrading is that even though the 4770k still keeps up with some newer CPUs, it's still falling behind in multithreaded performance and it gets far too hot at 4.9. 1080s were nice but I'd like to move up. I also do not have enough space for all the backup and extra files I must maintain.

Sorry for being so specific, just trying to give you guys as much info as you may need.

Thanks!

billbobaggins87

Jan 9, 2012
I've waited a little over 4 years now to build a new pc and since I built my old one, a lot has changed in my life, including what workloads I need to tackle.

Here's what I do with my pc in order of importance:
Gaming
Video Encoding/Rendering/Editing for 2 friends' channels, every evening, sometimes 2 videos each a day.
Benchmarking
AutoCAD 2D/3D and Inventor

I do not have a ton of time in the evenings after my construction job for everything, so I want the videos to be finished as fast as possible.
My budget is $5000-$5500. I do not care about price per performance, just want as much performance as I can get reasonably.

I'd prefer not to have a quad core again or less than 6 period. I'd also prefer to have 2 or more graphics cards as I run 2 4k screens and will probably get another one in the next year or so.
Since I also benchmark and overclock, I'd also like to have AIOs or at least a good performing loop, even though I know the temp difference will only be a few degrees. I'd be willing to wait on threadripper but if it's going to be only a few frames/seconds/score, I don't particularly care about it.

Other specs I'm looking for:
High number of sata slots and expansion slots
Quad channel memory in case I ever need more (or wanna show off)
I don't care about noise, after all the noise in the field, kinda just stop caring after awhile

I do have an idea of what I need/want, just want some ideas in case I decide to change what I build.

My current pc build now:

i7 4770k @ 4.9 GHz
MSI z87-G45 Gaming
32GB Ripjaws DDR3-2133
2x EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid SLI (Just sold both to a friend)
Zotac GTX 970 until I can build another
HX850i PSU (failing currently)
2x Toshiba 2TB HDD
240GB OCZ SSD

The reason why I'm upgrading is that even though the 4770k still keeps up with some newer CPUs, it's still falling behind in multithreaded performance and it gets far too hot at 4.9. 1080s were nice but I'd like to move up. I also do not have enough space for all the backup and extra files I must maintain.

Sorry for being so specific, just trying to give you guys as much info as you may need.

Thanks!
I would wait out for the new gpus from both parties to show up. CPU wise ryzen 5 or threadripper, currently Intel price wise can't compete

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
@billbobaggins87 He specifically said he doesn't care about price per performance. Intel i7-7820X is clearly better than Ryzen 7, and the 10-core i9-7900X is also an option at this budget.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010

Intel 10-core is about 35% faster (or takes about 25% less time) than Ryzen 1800X in exporting 4K H.264 in Premiere. With good core scaling, you could expect the 16-core Threadripper to get ahead of the 10-core Intel by a similar margin, maybe a bit more. But for all tasks where core scaling isn't extremely good, Intel will be faster. You can't go wrong with either, just buy the top end CPU from either camp.

For GPU accelerated encoding purposes (Mercury playback engine), your GTX 970 isn't much behind the fastest consumer cards, but for gaming on 4K you obviously want a 1080 Ti. I don't see why you'd need two 1080 Ti cards though. It doesn't noticeably improve performance in Premiere, and I assume you'll be gaming on just one 4K screen at a time. I'd rather buy one 1080 Ti and upgrade it to the Volta equivalent later.

As for the rest of the parts... 2x16 GB or 4x8 GB RAM, a decent board (probably Asus given their BIOS for new chipsets tends to be pretty good), 500 gig M.2 NVMe SSD for OS, programs and games, Seasonic Prime Titanium power supply, and whichever ATX case you like the look of (not forgetting about quality, of course).

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
While I don't normally recommend people wait on purchases, I think this is one time that you should most definitely wait. But, not for very long.

AMD's Threadripper (12 to 16 cores) is supposed to launch on August 10. https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Threadri...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5JH288F1J84DX235TZZ2

Intel will launch the 12-core 7920X on August 28 (with the rest of Intel's 14 to 18 core versions launching Sept 25 which may be too long for you). https://newsroom.intel.com/news/int...core-processors-available-starting-september/

Although, if you want gaming more than anything, Intel's 6-core Coffee Lake may launch late August (I've heard rumors of the 28th) or may be as late as October. Details will be released August 21. https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rel...cing-new-8th-gen-intel-core-processor-family/ This will be cheaper than the chips mentioned above, probably best in games (although video card matters more than CPU), but will not be that fast on the video encoding.

I think waiting one week to get proper Threadripper benchmarks and reviews from many sources is quite prudent in this case. If I were you, I'd wait until the end of the month to also get reviews on Intel's latest chips.

Last edited:

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I'm just going to link another forum members impressive build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zqRJ7P (Disregard the monitor and peripherals in the price.)

changes:

CPU: i9-7900X
GPU: 2x 1080Ti
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W

Right around $5000 total.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Definitely look at TR benchmarks to see if it fits your workload profile.