New budget game under $30 for new 470.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Hi, this is my first time posting in this section, but if the rest of the forum is any indication I'm sure you guys are just as friendly.

I just bought a new Gigabyte 470 on sale on newegg for $270 without $20 rebate. A great deal by any means. I kinda want a new game to show improvement over my 4890 that isn't any of the games I have, is relatively new, is under $30 and IS NOT Crysis lol!

I like to buy from Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and Steam. I haven't tried EA's Direct Download but I'm sure I'd be ok with that. I don't trust Ebay.com as far as I could throw the entire staff operating the site and all their computers lol.

I'll make a list of the games I already have.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Borderlands (with General Knox Content)
Call of Duty 4
Elder Scrolls IV
Grand Theft Auto IV (without Expansions)
Orange Box
Half Life 1 Anthology
Half Life Source
Street Fighter IV
Shadowrun ($1.87 on Amazon lol)
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament III
Alien Swarm
America's Army 3
Assassin's Creed
Battlefield 2 (Complete)
Battlefield 2142
Call of Duty
Call of Duty United Offensive
Call of Duty World at War
Counter-Strike: Source
Crysis (Standard)
Day of Defeat Source
Deus Ex: Game of The Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition
Final Doom
Halo 2
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Master Levels for Doom II
Mirror's Edge
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Perfect World International
Resident Evil 5
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars: Empire at War
Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic
Team Fortress Classic
The Ultimate Doom

I've been considering Bioshock/ Bioshock 2, but I already own Bioshock on the 360 and it wasn't all that replayable, which is why I'm also considering the fun running around as a hulking juggernaut in Bioshock 2 limited at best. Some titles I have listed I own twice because I stopped playing my 360 and they was that HUGE summer Steam sale. I probably splurged $300 on classic games and some new ones :D. I kind of want CoD : MW2 on PC, but I was stupid and already got the game new on 360 just as I was transitioning to PC, so I definitely want the price to drop below $30 before I purchase it again.

I also have ARMA II, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of The Year Edition on the list of games to buy, but I (again) already have F.E.A.R. on the 360 and the F.E.A.R. 2 Demo all and all was graphically amazing but wasn't all that impressive in the gameplay department. Both ARMA II and Batman are out of my price range at this point.

Again, just to wrap up I'm looking for a newer game in the below $30 range that will look good on my new card and my beautiful 1080p monitor :). Thank you all for your recommendations.

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
The Witcher
Metro 2033 (I think it went on sale recently)
Trine (it's not 3D, and it wouldn't even come close to choking a 4890 / 470, but it is pretty)
The Void (really weird game, nudity and creepiness, but very different and interesting)
Cryostatis
GRID
Portal
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (this game will scare the crap out of you, really)

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
The Witcher

This looks promising. From the trailer it looks like a hack/ slash stealth game? Is it open world?

Trine (it's not 3D, and it wouldn't even come close to choking a 4890 / 470, but it is pretty)

Trine is also on my list, so that's also an option.

The Void (really weird game, nudity and creepiness, but very different and interesting)

This game got horrible reviews didn't it?

Cryostatis

This game looks kinda cool. I almost bought it for 50% off, but it isn't that graphically intense if I remember.

I heard this was good, I'm not too into arcady racing games. Is this an arcade like game or more of a realistic racer? It's also Controller Enabled, which is awesome sine I use my 360 controller most of the time.

This is part of the Orange Box, which I have, I'm anticipating the launch of the sequal with GREAT excitement.

That game looks AWESOME, I also thought about getting that at one point, but again decided on something else.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
This game looks kinda cool. I almost bought it for 50% off, but it isn't that graphically intense if I remember.

It is one of the most graphically intense game out there. More than Crysis. This is partly due to how unoptimized the rendering engine is, and extensive use of shaders and Physx.

On the other hand, It also has probably one of the best stories in any game/movie ever. I highly suggest a playthrough if you're looking for something unique.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
It is one of the most graphically intense game out there. More than Crysis. This is partly due to how unoptimized the rendering engine is, and extensive use of shaders and Physx.

On the other hand, It also has probably one of the best stories in any game/movie ever. I highly suggest a playthrough if you're looking for something unique.

It looks good, and it's only $12 on steam, so I may get this and a game around $20.

Does GRID have any customization? If not what Racing sim on PC does? I loved Forza II and would love to find a game like it on PC.

Last edited:

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001

this game wasn't scary at all. i was really disappointed in Amnesia. also, the endings were just terrible, a huge let down in my opinion.

i was hoping for an Eternal Darkness-esque game with Amnesia, and didn't get anything close.

anyway: like you said Cryostasis is only $12 on steam. I was also playing through Blade Kitten (15$ on steam store iirc), and that was pretty fun.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I know you said you didn't want Crysis, but you might actually consider Crysis Warhead. It's basically like Crysis, but without the annoying parts. I liked Crysis just enough to finish it once, but I really didn't like the last 1/3 of the game. I only finished it in the vain hope that I might get better. Warehead on the other hand was fun all the way through.

Metro 2033 and Mafia II are pretty good too, and you might even be able to score a copy from Gigabyte/NVIDIA just for buying a GTX 470. I got a free copy of both from EVGA, and a free copy of Just Cause 2 from Newegg when I bought my GTX 470.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The only game I can think of off the top of my head that would push your 470 and is not Crysis.... is Crysis Warhead :p

You might also find that Dawn of War II + Chaos Rising to be a rather taxing game on your card and system. One of the best looking RTS games @ 1920x1080+ and ultra settings zoomed in :)

BHetrick

Aug 22, 2010
Do you mean intense as in it's going to put your card to work, or intense as in really good on the eyes?

I thought about grabbing Cryostasis also but graphically it looked like an old console release. Well, at least watching the trailer on Steam. Or is that just a ****** trailer?

I know that's a poor way to judge games, but I'm at the point where I have plenty to play already, so the visuals are just as important as the gameplay and story.

Metro 2033 definitely has the eye candy if that's what you're looking for. Especially in 3d. As does Mafia 2. Mafia 2 on High, with PhysX on, will definitely work that card and looks great.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you can get Metro new for $30, don't know about Mafia 2 though.

Last edited:

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Do you mean intense as in it's going to put your card to work, or intense as in really good on the eyes?

Not really great on the eyes, but looking at it now it looks good. The low res steam video doesn't do it much justice.

I'm not up for buying Crysis Warhead...

As for the side scrollers like Blade Kitten, they seem... IDK... old?

As for RTS Games, I only have played a few, and they don't appeal to me.

Stalker is an option, which one?

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
i just got done playing the first two stalker games (shadow and clear sky) and i'm currently playing the last one. i have absolutely loved all three. i paid 20 bucks for the whole lot (steam had the 1st and 3rd for 10 bucks a bit ago). i highly suggest them all, even the middle game which didn't get that great of reviews. i played them vanilla, but i've heard great things about the complete mod for at least the first two games, i don't think it's finished for the third yet.

haas1mj

Sep 3, 2010
i just got done playing the first two stalker games (shadow and clear sky) and i'm currently playing the last one. i have absolutely loved all three. i paid 20 bucks for the whole lot (steam had the 1st and 3rd for 10 bucks a bit ago). i highly suggest them all, even the middle game which didn't get that great of reviews. i played them vanilla, but i've heard great things about the complete mod for at least the first two games, i don't think it's finished for the third yet.

Backed 100%. I just purchased the first Stalker game (Shadow of Chernobyl) and got the free Complete 2009 mod. It updates the textures and fixes a majority of the bugs, I'd go for that to test out your card. I'm only on the first few missions but I already love this game.

khansolo

Sep 27, 2010
Your list already has a lot of games that have good graphics in them. A few of them have texture mods (Dragon age, Oblivion, etc) that you could go find. You can of course crank the hell out of AA and AF. I guess most people still use Crysis as the bar for gaming graphics so that's why it comes to mind a lot in "test my new rig" suggestions.

A few I didn't see on your list:
Stalker - w/ complete 2009 mod or LURK mod
Singularity - horror/sci-fi fps
Blur - arcadey racing game with powerups
Just Cause 2 - action game

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I would reconsider Bioshock 2.

It's a great game, as was the original. (The latest patch for BS1 includes new plasmids, etc. the replay value is pretty great, imho.)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This looks promising. From the trailer it looks like a hack/ slash stealth game? Is it open world?

The Witcher is an action oriented RPG with emphasis on decision making and consequences. Its not 'Open World' as Morrowind or Oblivion, rather, its world is more like Baldur's Gate in set up. Each chapter of the game allows access to certain areas that can usually travel freely in, or need to complete certain quests or prerequisites for. I would not describe the game as stealth oriented.

Its a fun game and I can definitely recommend it. Not everyone liked it, but I believe it to be one of the better RPGs released in the last few years.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Alright, I added quite a few games to my list and I will get them all eventually. They are all offered on Steam, so I'll include prices to allow you to see logic in my decisions.

BioShock ($19.99, already owned on Xbox.)
BioShock 2 ($29.99, will take my full budget, will think about it)
Psychonauts (heard this was good from a lot of people, but I never got to it) ($9.99)
CoD : MW2 (Still $60!? I think not since I already own it on Xbox)
GRID ($15, no car customization, I think I'll wait a while)
Need For Speed: Shift ($29.99, I think I'll wait a little while)
Stalker Trilogy (Range from $9.99-$29.99, I'll probably buy them all at once in a sale)
Cryostasis ($12.99, will definitely buy soon)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition ($19.99)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth (Personal Favorite from my Xbox days) ($9.99)
Metro 2033 ($49.99, not quite cool on spending that much yet)

Right now I'm thinking Cryostasis + Bioshock because I know one is fun already, but the other one looks cool.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
psychonauts is a great game that every real "gamer" should play, however it won't stress your card or anything.

i finished stalker: call of pripyat today, another excellent game. i'm really glad i spent the 20 bucks to pick them up.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
psychonauts is a great game that every real "gamer" should play, however it won't stress your card or anything.

Yeah, I'll probably pick that one up soon

i finished stalker: call of pripyat today, another excellent game. i'm really glad i spent the 20 bucks to pick them up.

That's what I figure, I'll pick them up in a sale. I've already seen them on sale twice since I started shopping on steam this summer.