New book shows that the stimulus worked - really, really well

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
It worked so well the FED has now gone to the extreme lengths of endorsing a policy of foreseeable permanent devaluation of our currency indefinitely. All in what will eventually be a failed attempt to resuscitate job growth and re-inflate another disastrous economic bubble this time with the stamp of approval of the FED and at the cost of potentially run away inflation and yet another eventual crash.

Last edited:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Ok or maybe if we let things run thier course we could hurt for a short time and then get back on our feet quicker instead of having this drawn out ghost recovery. Number of Jobs saved is really not a great statistic. And I hate when people throw that out and in the context of less workers looking for jobs, higher unemployment, and fewer people employed. It's spin.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The stimulus was quite clearly a success, this isn't really controversial or debatable except in a few anti-intellectual circules, mostly centering on the right. A good link to puruse here.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And where's the economic model - backed by a majority of mainstream economists - that agrees with this assessment?

It's sure easy to make extravagant claims backed up by essentially nothing.

Tap your sarcasm meter...

He parodies Repub voodoo...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The stimulus was quite clearly a success, this isn't really controversial or debatable except in a few anti-intellectual circules, mostly centering on the right. A good link to puruse here.

It seems that the lack of other options shows a rather pedestrian intellect and lack of will. I suppose the standard for success has dropped over time to embrace mediocrity.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It seems that the lack of other options shows a rather pedestrian intellect and lack of will. I suppose the standard for success has dropped over time to embrace mediocrity.

There's nothing particularly medicore about 3M jobs existing vs. not existing, but to each his own.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

If you keep saying it... will it be true? Kinda like global warming not debatable and proven as fact to a liberal except it isn't.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ok or maybe if we let things run thier course we could hurt for a short time and then get back on our feet quicker instead of having this drawn out ghost recovery. Number of Jobs saved is really not a great statistic. And I hate when people throw that out and in the context of less workers looking for jobs, higher unemployment, and fewer people employed. It's spin.

You obviously don't understand the concepts of liquidity traps & debt deflation spirals. You basically espouse the liquidationist meme, which has been discredited long ago.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
And where's the economic model - backed by a majority of mainstream economists - that agrees with this assessment?

It's sure easy to make extravagant claims backed up by essentially nothing.

Psst check your batteries. Sarcasm meter seems to be on the fritz.

Edit: jhhnn got it

Also I can understand why it was hard to catch. Many of our fellow posters actually believe that drivel.

Last edited:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is that so? How would reversing the Bush tax cuts create jobs in the private sector?

how is not reversing them creating jobs in the private sector ?

my theory is, progress creates jobs.
properly organized and funded government is key to progress and always has been. If you disagree, point out the successful societies that don't have one ?

the Bush tax cuts had one real purpose, get George W elected. Loook at history. Some of the most prosperous times in our history also had high taxes. There's no real correlation between low taxes and job creation.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
how is not reversing them creating jobs in the private sector ?

my theory is, progress creates jobs.
properly organized and funded government is key to progress and always has been. If you disagree, point out the successful societies that don't have one ?

the Bush tax cuts had one real purpose, get George W elected. Loook at history. Some of the most prosperous times in our history also had high taxes. There's no real correlation between low taxes and job creation.

The Bush tax cuts had other purposes- to make the Rich even richer and to hobble the govt of the People with debt.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
If you keep saying it... will it be true? Kinda like global warming not debatable and proven as fact to a liberal except it isn't.

MMGW isn't particular controversial and GW itself isn't controversial at all, except as I said in anti-intellectual circles almost exclusively on the right and among the conspiratorial, virtually nonexistent in the academic literature. Feel free to cite sources to the contrary (you can't, FYI).

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Thank god we had the stimulus because without it unemplyment would have hit 9%

updated%20unemployment%20stimulus%20graph.png

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I see the economy improving all around me. Our visitor industry being a prime example. Record occupancy rates this year and last. Disposable income spending is a prime marker for an improving economy and we're seeing it all over the state for a solid two year period.

Simply put, the numbers don't lie.

Repub governors themselves are hyping improved economies in their respective states to get relected. I say let them take the credit even though a rising tide raises all boats. However, we shouldn't let them talk out of their asses as they speak of better times under their administrations while farting on about how "things could have been so much better under a Repub president" when they themselves could never know that with certainty.

Last edited:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
MMGW isn't particular controversial and GW itself isn't controversial at all, except as I said in anti-intellectual circles almost exclusively on the right and among the conspiratorial, virtually nonexistent in the academic literature. Feel free to cite sources to the contrary (you can't, FYI).

LoL you proved my point perfectly... Lib knows all any who claim it is not fact are stupid! I guess that is why Al Gores film has a disclaimer in the U.K. of the 37 falsehoods before his movie even starts.

Love it! Keep up the know-it-all Libs know best science. It's a real turn off.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
LoL you proved my point perfectly... Lib knows all any who claim it is not fact are stupid!

No no, not stupid, just wrong. Note that the neither you nor the OP can argue or start any dialog here that consists of substance or evidence on the issue of either the effects of the stimulus or MMGW/GW. This is why it's so entertaining to argue with you twats in these threads; it's just so fun and easy.

I guess that is why Al Gores film has a disclaimer in the U.K. of the 37 falsehoods before his movie even starts.

Link?

Love it! Keep up the know-it-all Libs know best science. It's a real turn off.

There's nothing lib about being on the right side of science.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
This is why it's so entertaining to argue with you twats in these threads; it's just so fun and easy.

And as usual Libs are always know-it-alls that refuse to look at anything that might shake their fragile exsistance.

here is a link they are hard to find bcause no "news" peeps dare cross Al Gore and well why should they hav already made up their mind. http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/monckton/goreerrors.html

here are 9 major ones

1. The film claims global warming is responsible for the gradual retreat of the alpine glacier atop Africa's Mount Kilimanjaro. Scientists have conclusively demonstrated no such link exists.
2. The film presents graphs indicating that fluctuating carbon dioxide levels have always preceded and caused global temperature fluctuations. In fact, temperature changes have always preceded carbon dioxide changes.
3. The film suggests global warming caused Hurricane Katrina. Few hurricane experts believe this, and substantial scientific evidence indicates global warming is having no impact on hurricane frequency or intensity.
4. The film asserts global warming is causing Central Africa's Lake Chad to dry up. In fact, land use practices are causing the drying up of Lake Chad, and Central Africa is in an unusual and prolonged wet period.
5. The film asserts global warming is leading to polar bear deaths by drowning. Yet the only documented drowning deaths occurred due to a freak storm, and polar bear numbers are growing substantially.
6. The film claims global warming threatens to halt the Gulf Stream and initiate a new ice age. The vast majority of scientists who have studied the issue have determined such a scenario is implausible.
7. The film asserts global warming is causing the destruction of coral reefs through bleaching. Scientists have identified other causes for coral bleaching and have additionally noted bleaching is a natural process by which coral continually selects ideal symbiotic algae.
8. The film asserts Greenland is in danger of rapid ice melt that will raise sea levels by 20 feet or more. The scientific consensus is that any foreseeable Greenland ice melt will be gradual and will take centuries to substantially raise sea levels.
9. The film asserts the Antarctic ice shelf is melting. In fact, only a small portion of Antarctica is getting warmer and losing ice mass, while the vast majority of Antarctica is in a prolonged cold spell and is accumulating ice mass.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The stimulus was a shot in the arm, it was needed. But it's not the be-all-end-all, especially given our deficit.

Right now we have an economy largely based on debt. That's unsustainable any way you slice it, and a lot of stuff that was bought with that debt is going to eventually collapse unless it gets taken care of. Sadly, it will probably take a significant collapse for the more rational moderates to care enough to take power away from the radicals.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Psst check your batteries. Sarcasm meter seems to be on the fritz.

Edit: jhhnn got it

Also I can understand why it was hard to catch. Many of our fellow posters actually believe that drivel.

You mimicked the troglodytes very well. But I should have read a little more carefully.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Thank god we had the stimulus because without it unemplyment would have hit 9%

updated%20unemployment%20stimulus%20graph.png

You're being a troll. This is MY thread, and the subject is: "The stimulus was very effective." And the book cited in the OP demonstrates that.

As much as you'd like the sidetrack and evade, the subject of this thread is NOT "Obama didn't accurately estimate the trajectory of the economy with and without the stimulus." Making that point says NOTHING about the effectiveness of the stimulus.

Now, either leave or stay on topic, you moron.