New Belkin G PCI card drops network detection randomly

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
So the card that was on sale last week at CompUSA is in the computer now, since I needed something with better reception than the Linksys USB adapter I had (802.11b too)...but now I'm losing the signal every now and then. I have the newest drivers from Belkin installed...and it's not the router, I don't think.

Any immediate ideas? I might just go back to the USB adapter if I have to, otherwise, how can I try to make it reconnect to a network it can't see w/o restarting the system?

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
wow thats really really wierd that you say that. I bought my belkin wireless G PCI card last saturday at CompUsa, cause of the rebates and stuff.

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!!

in the same location in my house, I previously had a dlink wireless B adaptor. Worked great. I built my new PC, bought the Belkin wireless G PCI card from compusa, and got random disconnections. Irony.

Even tho it would say my connection was between 90-100%, i would still lose connection now and then.

I thought i solved the problem by under the belkin menu changing the SSID from "Any" to "linksys" (the name of the network thru my house)

The connection worked fine for a little bit. But when playing games and such it would randomly spike at certain times, almost as if it was on pattern.

Seems as tho i could predict when it would spike and/or disconnect.

I reinstalled everything and it didnt work.

we are in the same boat

zeusman2

May 6, 2005
Hmmmm... this is the reason I came to this forum. My nice new Belkin "G" pci desktop card keeps dropping the connection to my network. If I right click and "repair " , it will connect and shows I'm > 90% strength. Been looking but no help so far. Anyone find an answer ? Tried both the Belkin utility and windows to manage the network with the same result.

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
yea, i have no clue what it could be. Seems as tho its a big problem with these network adaptors. I tried everything with mine untill eventually hooking that card up to the computer downstairs (which is the one that is hardly used). It still has the same problem, but it seems to stay connected for a bit longer.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Try going to Belkin's website to see if they have any kind of wi-fi NIC utility/software. I had to get one from Linksys before my WMP54G card would keep a consistent connection.

Good luck!

jules3141

May 16, 2005
OK, I'm having the same problem. I have latest drivers, and am using Belkin's "Wireless utility" software.

I have card model F5D7000UK with Win XP Pro. Some sites I've seen report this card's chipset to be Broadcom, but it is actually an ralink chipset, so I think I have an unusual version of this card.

People who are having this problem: what is the filename of your driver? Has anybody managed to solve this problem, or is it a fault in the card's design? Does anybody have a similar card that works flawlessly?

Unfortunately I got mine as part of a promotional package with a laptop, so the price on the receipt is zero... I can't go to my retailer and get a refund without also returning the laptop :( -- would a replacement card help?

jules3141

May 16, 2005
The connection worked fine for a little bit. But when playing games and such it would randomly spike at certain times, almost as if it was on pattern.

Are you using WinXP? If so, try disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service. This does a scan for available networks every 1 minute + (length of time the scan takes), which can cause the card to stop responding briefly. Annoyed the hell out of me while I was trying to get VOIP working, and I can imagine it would be an issue for games too. The Belkin utility doesn't have as good an interface, but works better in my experience.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Is there a way to disable the scan? You are right because when I used the Windows config utility, every 60 seconds (I mean you could set a freakin' watch to it!) the Inet traffic would go down to 0KB in and out and halt some connections and would make playing games impossible.

Right now I get errors when I use the Linksys config utility when I shut my system down or restart it. There's a nice big error box that pops up and I the only way I've found to get rid of it is to stop using the Linksys software. If you know of a way to stop windows from scanning...yay! ;)

Carazariah

Aug 11, 2003
hmm. . . just installed this setup for a friend, he was happy for a week, but he's complaining about having to reboot every day to renew the connection. I purchased a Belkin 54G Wireless Access Point and a Belkin 54G PCI card, perhaps the zero config is the issue?

thanks,
C

jules3141

May 16, 2005
No, that seems to be a problem with the card. It happens to me even when I'm not using WZC. What driver versions does he have?

Carazariah

Aug 11, 2003
I'm not looking at it right now but for the US the latest drivers are from Sept 2003 according to Belkin for the PCI Wireless G card ver 2.4.5 It seems that would be the version on my friends. I didn't d/l any updated drivers since he has dial up ! :(

C

zeusman2

May 6, 2005
OK got this one to stay connected now for days. (no thanks to belkin ) Dont know what the final fix was , but I ended up moving the PCI card to another open slot and somehow , windows firewall got turned back on ( all by itself ) . turned that off and everything runs great now.