New Audioslave (Chris Cornell + RATM) single "Cochise"....what do you guys think? <Poll and audio clip inside>

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Link to single is on this yahoo.launch page.

Personally, I like it, but it's not anything especially groundbreaking. Funky RATM riffs + Chris Cornell vocals. A good combination to be sure, but neither half sounds any different than they did prior to forming Audioslave......two separate entities in the same case rather than a hybrid. Oh well...at least all these guys are making music. :)

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
sounds allright. It just feels weird without Zack. And Chris Cornell isnt my favorite vocalist. The music is awesome, but the vocals make it feel like an 80s hairband.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
That song is off the leaked album from a few months ago. They have just actually done some mastering of it. The album is ok but not nearly as good as anything Soundgarden or RATM did.

EDIT: Personally I just don't think they have figured out exactly what to do. The musicians in RATM are awesome and Cornell is awesome but they just have to find their own style instead of holding on to what either past bands have done.

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Ditto what Swag said. The music rocked, but Cornell was just kind blech IMO - I gave it a subpar

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ah, listening to it on my headset at work... nothing sounds good on these.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
ah, listening to it on my headset at work... nothing sounds good on these.

The stream is only 20 k/s, so it wouldn't sound good on any headset.

I just think it sounds really slapped-together....almost like Chris had some vocal tracks lying around and RATM had some rythym track lying around and then just plopped them on top of one another. I think it's cool that this whole thing happened, but I'm not hearing any chemistry going on.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Tom is playing some good guitar, but it sounds old now. RATM first releases were awsome for two reasons: Tom's guitar and Zack's voice. Now, Tom's guitar is sounding old, stale, and tired. The rifts are becoming more and more the same and no new spark has been added in awhile. It started on the last RATM album...things just seemed to start happening by routine rather than creativity. So, the guitar is getting old, no more Zack....I am not drawn to this project at all. I'll probably listen to a buddy's copy because I like Tom Morrello so much, but I just don't think I'll buy it. Just my opinion though. I thought the 80s hair band comment was pretty dead on except the music is slightly better. Chris brings it down with his lyrics and slow singing as compared to having Zack yelling in your face. Man, when is Zack's album coming out? I haven't heard anything about it in awhile.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
i'd been looking forward to this collaboration for months when i picked up all the leaked demo's last spring. sure, i like them better than the majority of crap out there, but after a couple listens, they've sat eating up HD space. the songs have their moments, but i'd call them "uninspired" before i called them anything else. cornell's got soem amazing pipes, and there's no reason that he and morello can't meld (actually, i don't think the tracks sound unnatural by any means. most people prolly set their baseline by zack, and when they hear chris, they automatically have a negative reaction without actually listening). however, i just dont' find these tracks catchy or interesting.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Swag1138
sounds allright. It just feels weird without Zack. And Chris Cornell isnt my favorite vocalist. The music is awesome, but the vocals make it feel like an 80s hairband.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The music sounds good, sounds like Rage. As far as the vocals go? BRING BACK ZACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh. If I wanted Soundgarden I'd listen to Soundgarden

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Three of you called me a crackhead. *pouts* :(

:p

Make that four. Only because my ears are all screwed up due to an ear infection and I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Doubt I'll be listening to it anytime soon either.