New audio setup to go with a Samsung UN65MU8000: Audio System?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I got some Pangea Audio LS300 20" stands. I like them. I filled two of the columns on each stand with silica sand. The third column is where the speaker cable runs up to the speaker. I think it looks better and sounds better and I'm not worried now about the heat from the PS4 Pro. warping the finish of the speaker that was sitting right next to it.

I do still have the AudioEngine DS2 stands under each speaker. I don't think I need them anymore since the speakers are at ear height already on the stands. I just kind of like how they look, angled upwards.

xZpiaQS.jpg

Reactions: WiseUp216

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Pretty sweet setup, I'm a little jelly. Tho personally I'd still try to separate the front speakers as much as possible and maybe beware of angling them up too much (obviously I can't tell what's too much from the pic, but the angle looks kinda high).

Placement of the sub is way less important if it's getting in the way.

Reactions: Synomenon

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I've removed the AudioEngine stands so the speakers are no longer angled upwards. I've also moved each speaker stand a couple of inches further away from the TV stand and toed them in.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Finally replaced my Polk S20 + S30 setup with Q Acoustics 3020i + 3090Ci.

The Polks are good, especially for movies, but I got tired of finding bubbles in the vinyl finish each time I was cleaning them / the AV system.

Decided to try the Q Acoustics setup. What I found is:
- Borrowed an A/B switch from someone and compared with a couple of movies and some music.
- Even without having re-run my Marantz NR1508's Audyssey calibration after swapping speakers the Q Acoustics setup sounds "clearer" or more crisp.
- Still surprisingly good with movies (haven't tried using the foam plugs yet to reduce the amount of bass coming from them) and even better when listening to music because of the more crisp sound.
- Surprised at how small the 3020i + 3090Ci are compared to the S20 + S30.
- I tried using the "free" QED XT25 cables, but did not hear a difference between those and the plain, 16ga speaker cables + mediabridge banana connectors I had been using. Boxed the QED XT25 back up and will be selling them.
- The white color is what I had been after since I started annoying the veterans here with my questions and posts last year. Finally have that with the Q Acoustics setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 8