new ATi card by the end of this month!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Pabster

My point is that no one cares if it is 90nm, 110nm, or 130nm. We're looking for the best of the best and process technology doesn't mean squat (look at the Prescott...)

Yes, I do care. It's called progress, technological advance. Smaller fabrication process means more complex chips in smaller packages and cheaper prices. The failures of Prescott were due not to it's fabrication process, but the design of the chip.

Kudos to ATI for moving forward with this technology while Nvidia does as little as possible to keep their lead. BTW, the name G70 is a misnaomer since the 7800 series is actually based on NV47, hardly enough of an advancement to get a new name like G70.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Yes, I do care. It's called progress, technological advance. Smaller fabrication process means more complex chips in smaller packages and cheaper prices. The failures of Prescott were due not to it's fabrication process, but the design of the chip.

You don't get it. Both ATi and nVidia's top-end offerings have always had a steep price tag upon release - $400 to $500, and that is irregardless of process technology. So your cheaper price argument is debunked.

7800 series runs cooler than 6800 series, on same process. Another debunking.

Prescott might well have failed by design -- but you don't see anyone recommending them because they are 90nm chips.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Ronin
Originally posted by: Ronin
I don't need to research. They're still on the 120nm process, bud. YOU should do some research. The G70 is a 120nm product.

No, it isn't. Thanks for playing. G70 is .11 (110nm).

Nice attitude, punk. It's still not 90nm, now is it?

As far as the 6100/6150 is concerned, do you have one in your hands? I thought not. Simply put, until it reaches market, saying nVidia has successfully moved to the 90nm process isn't entirely valid...yet. I certainly hope that's the case, for their sake, and the consumer's.

johnnqq: With your massive 4 months of time here, I would suggest you keep that poor attitude you have to yourself.

My mistake in saying 120nm. I did, in fact, mean 110nm (as we well know, the 6200/6600 were 110nm products as well, so it would stand to reason that the 7800 would be as well).

Punk.

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005

You don't get it. Both ATi and nVidia's top-end offerings have always had a steep price tag upon release - $400 to $500, and that is irregardless of process technology. So your cheaper price argument is debunked.

7800 series runs cooler than 6800 series, on same process. Another debunking.

Prescott might well have failed by design -- but you don't see anyone recommending them because they are 90nm chips.
You are still contesting a flawed point.

For example: [Athlon64] 3000+ 90nm vs 3000 110nm :D

And Ronin, dont put words into peoples mouth (including mine). :p

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net

My point is that no one cares if it is 90nm, 110nm, or 130nm. We're looking for the best of the best and process technology doesn't mean squat (look at the Prescott...)

Kudos to ATI for moving forward with this technology while Nvidia does as little as possible to keep their lead. BTW, the name G70 is a misnaomer since the 7800 series is actually based on NV47, hardly enough of an advancement to get a new name like G70.

Kudos? It's the only thing that ATi has done ahead of nVidia in quite some time, and it's cost them dearly, hasn't it? Sometimes the risk isn't worth it, as ATi is finding out.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

LOL

Maybe you should email nVidia and tell them you object to their nomenclature? I'm sure they'll give your opinion all the consideration it merits!
<snicker>

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: crazydingo

Not really. Prescott and Athlon 64 had two very different results from that die shrink. :D

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

You'll see the price advantage in the mid and low range cards. You can bet that ATI will be raping Nvidia in these markets next generation The high and ulra high end cards always demand a premium because they know that the suckers that buy these are going to buy them no matter how much they cost.

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005

Not really. Prescott and Athlon 64 had two very different results from that die shrink. :D
I thought you said it didnt matter if it was 90nm or 110nm. :p

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

I said people didn't care what process the chip was on - just about the performance. If Prescott were to have been 130nm and reach 5GHz no one would care that it wasn't 90nm.

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005

I said people didn't care what process the chip was on - just about the performance. If Prescott were to have been 130nm and reach 5GHz no one would care that it wasn't 90nm.
People care what process the chip is on except for the schmucks who think a 256MB 9200 is a good card. ;)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Turtle 1
THE GO G70 is a 90nm .

Yeah, and it has what? 2 or 4 piplelines? Wow, that's a real achievement.

Don't you wish.

6800 had 12, 7800 is likely to be 12 to 16.

Considering that Go 7800 will offer 2x performance with the same power consumption, I'd call that a real achievement.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Considering that Go 7800 will offer 2x performance with the same power consumption, I'd call that a real achievement.

a real achievement would be offering double the performance with significantly less power usage . . . perhaps you should consider marketing for nVidia . . .

probably not

:D

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
THE GO G70 is a 90nm .

Don't you wish.

6800 had 12, 7800 is likely to be 12 to 16.

I guess I was thinking of thier integrated graphics. Now let's see Nvidia shrink down their 24-pipe chip and see how that goes eh? Then we'll call it a real achievement and then you can bash ATI for the trouble they've had. At least ATI took a chance and went for it, while Nvidia is just playing it safe.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I guess I was thinking of thier integrated graphics. Now let's see Nvidia shrink down their 24-pipe chip and see how that goes eh? Then we'll call it a real achievement and then you can back ATI for the trouble they've had. At least ATI took a chance and went for it, while Nvidia is just playing it safe.
the situation is exactly reversed from last time ;)

and ati had to

swatX

Oct 16, 2004
THE GO G70 is a 90nm .

does it matter to you? you are probably arent getting it. Go G70 GTX will likely consist more than 16 pipes which is a huge achievement considering ATI has yet to release r520 let alone a r520 mobile.

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Whoa, the ignorance and the claws came out pretty quick, didn't they. I can't recall an uglier thread, but I'm not trying to hard to.

Pabster, I'm impressed you've maintained a civil tone throughout all those debunkings. Thanks for trying to raise the level of discourse and knowledge.

Ronin, why not table your attitude to give johnqq an example to follow.

M0rph, the GeForce 5800 was built using a smaller process than the Radeon 9700P, 130 vs 150nm, yet that didn't really help it in terms of performance, power draw, or price. And nV isn't sitting on their hands. G70 is an impressive achievement, considering it draws the same power as NV40 but offers more and more capable pixel shaders running at a higher speed, and is more available and lower-priced than NV40 was near launch. And nV is moving on 90nm, as you can see in RSX and the GF 6100. The "Go G70" is not the same as the 6100: it's a high-end GPU, not an IGP. It'll pack more pipes than the 6800go, which had 12.

BouZouki, that wasn't necessary.

crazydingo, Pabster answered your point appropriately. You point to the A64 as an example of a process shrink conferring benefits, and he pointed out that Prescott proves that a process shrink doesn't necessarily mean only good things.

Rollo, your sarcasm was as helpful as BouZouki's name-calling. Well done.

Turtle, you sure about that? I'd have thought nV would've let ppl know if that were the case.

apoppin, were you being serious or facetious? Twice the perf at the same power (and thus heat) level is a big deal, especially as power is fast becoming a limiting factor.

M0rph, where did Pabster "bash ATI?"

What a sorry excuse for a thread. You kids should be ashamed of yourselves. Go to your rooms, and no dessert tonight! :p

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Well now that we have all been well moderated, I must say that Ati is certainly cranking up the hype. That increased speed at reduced power caught my eye. Not sure about all this avivo stuff, mainly as I am a dumb gamer and watch movies on my sh#t tv. Well after all this ati will look pretty bad, if all they produce is a gigantic slow card. Getting close now. Anyways the hype around the r420 didn't seem to this degree (very strange days for sure).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pete
Whoa, the ignorance and the claws came out pretty quick, didn't they. I can't recall an uglier thread, but I'm not trying to hard to.

apoppin, were you being serious or facetious? Twice the perf at the same power (and thus heat) level is a big deal, especially as power is fast becoming a limiting factor.

What a sorry excuse for a thread. You kids should be ashamed of yourselves. Go to your rooms, and no dessert tonight! :p
yes
;)