New at this, want to overclock. Help!!

GotMustangs

Aug 19, 2003
Hey everyone. I am brand new at this but I was wondering if someone here could help me out. I want to overclock my system some but I have no idea where to start or what to do. I have an Asus P4S533 MB, a P4 processor @ 2.53GHz, and 768MB of PC2700. I already overclocked my GeForce4 Ti4200 video card. That was easy. Just wanting some friendly advice here. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Ryan

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Go into your bios and find the menu for adjusting your fsb. Bring it up a few notches and then get a program like prime 95 or 3dmark 2k1 to test it. Eventually it'll reach a point when it is no longer stable running these programs, you can either bring it back to when it was most stable or increase your vcore for more headroom. Don't go to crazy on your vcore though, but don't be afraid to bring it up a few notches.

That was kind of basic, but some other people can go more in detail for you if you require it.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
also when you increase your fsb you might have to decrease memory timings or change your mem/fsb ratio

also be carefull not to increase your vid card mem or gpu speed too much those things can get hot
watch for texture corruption and weird stuff if you see it back down 5 to 10 mhz and make sure you don't see it again

GotMustangs

Aug 19, 2003
I found the setting for vcore, but not for the FSB. I've heard that you can bump up the CPU speed just adjusting the vcore, but no matter how high I turn it up, WCPUID still has me at 2533MHz. Also, my hardware monitor in BIOS still registers the vcore as 1.5v. Are there jumpers I have to change on the MB before the changes will actually do something? I'm really not seeing a whole bunch of settings that I can change in BIOS to overclock. Help!! How do I update/flash my BIOS? Could that be the problem?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I found the setting for vcore, but not for the FSB. I've heard that you can bump up the CPU speed just adjusting the vcore, but no matter how high I turn it up, WCPUID still has me at 2533MHz
Good God!! :Q If you are still running with the VCore maxed, restart and set it no higher than 1.55v if you are at stock clock. You could damage your processor if you do not...

GotMustangs

Aug 19, 2003
No I set it up to like 1.60, just to see if that by itself would change the clock, but it didn't. I then immediately changed it back. Oops. I still need some help here. I really have no idea how to do this. And like I said, even when I set it at 1.60, the hardware monitor in BIOS still says it's seeing 1.50. What the hell?????

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
go read your mobo manual,it will be in there how to adjust the FSB.

And dont expect tro go much higher than 150mhz with this board because it lacks the AGP/PCI lock.