New ASUS PG279Q 1440p 27" G-Sync IPS

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-new-g-sync-monitors-on-the-way-including-144-hz-ips-asus-display/

Interesting new monitors on the way, including a new 1440p 27" IPS G-Sync monitor from Asus, the PG279Q. We'll probably hear more about it at Computex. This should be the new competitor to the Acer XB270HU. Hopefully this Asus will not have the same QC issues as Acer.

I personally am really curious to find out when this will released. Am in the market for a new G-sync monitor right now and was considering going with the Acer but a bit wary of all the QC issues. Would be nice if Asus announces at Computex that they will be available in June (but probably not).

flem

Jun 1, 2015
I'm in the same boat but REALLY hoping they release it soon WITHOUT the QC issues. I ordered the Acer XB270HU at Amazon (expected to ship in 10-14 days), but would gladly cancel the order and get the PG279Q instead if it is better. I don't mind the Acer was missing 3-D Vision but I DO wish it had at least 2 inputs (XB270HU only has 1 input - DP).

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
There really wasnt any gsync monitors that i liked everything about. i had a hard time deciding and gave up. Then, I got to talking with an online buddy and he offered me a xb270h......like for crazy crazy cheap. Supposed to be never used..
After we figured out shipping and started talking, I backed out of that deal due to the fact that I would have a warranty at all. What if there was some quality issue.
This all went on this weekend, I backed out and then literally 3hrs later....my LG 1680x1050 monitor from 2004 went out. This was my back up I ended up using for months.....

Long story short, my buddy did lead me to amazon where there are Acer xb270h refurbs for $349 free shipping. These have 90days and if there is something wrong, I can send it back.

There aren't many of them but I snagged one, they are just far to cheap.
Of course, none of the gsync monitors really stood out to me. And this being a 27" that is 1080, some people automatically call it bad. My buddy says they are actually amassing, the picture quality is very good. I have been gaming on a 46" Samsung tv anyway, I don't like to be right up on the screen.

I put a lot of thought into what monitor I wanted. And I ended up ording one that wasnt even on my radar. But, because it was so cheap, I don't feel like its a large investment at all. It actually makes so much more sense for me, but I didn't see this till after the fact.

I have been on 60hz screens for years. I have heard so much about how great 144hz is, the smoothness and responsiveness. I just wanted a 144hz screen...that would be such an improvement over by itself.

But now, look....
my single 980 overclocked wouldn't be enough to push modern games at 1440p. I would have to buy more graphic cards in order to play at high refreshes at HQ or ultra, like I like to.

Honestly, i don't think I want to buy yet another 28nm graphics card either.

I realized I never cared about the xb270h because it was a very expensive 27" monitor that is 1080. These things were 600 or more when I looked at them. At 349$, it is almost a no brainer for me. Its not really a huge investment, 144hz monitors aren't cheap anyway...
This monitor with gsync should allow me to carry on with the 980 and get to try out technologies I have been very very interested in. Gsync and 3d vision.

Ultimately, I can't wait to game at 144hz. I have gsync for demanding titles. I found some great deals on 3d kits to try that out. And I don't have to worry about my single 980 OC.

When pascal comes out, i may just send that monitor to my sons PC.

Anyway, just thought I would chime in. I know everyone is talking about these higher res monitors. But a 970/980.......isn't it gonna be hard to push 1440p at those high refresh rates?

I saw a few reviews of the xb270h on YouTube. Some very very positive.
Honestly, don't think its worth 600bucks or even 500. But 349$, that is just too hard for me to pass up

Last edited:

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
These screens are probably still better quality than the average monitor.

But because they're so high end and expensive people want them to be perfect, a dead pixel and it gets returned, on to the next customer who also returns it.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Anyway, just thought I would chime in. I know everyone is talking about these higher res monitors. But a 970/980.......isn't it gonna be hard to push 1440p at those high refresh rates?

You don't have to run at 144 fps with a high refresh rate monitor. Just by having a higher refresh rate means you get less motion blur. I have a 970 SLI and none of the games I play at the moment (GTA V, Witcher 3 etc) run over 80 fps in 1440p and for example GTA V goes under 60 at times. With G-Sync this is not really even noticeable.

I think a single 970 or 980 can do pretty well in 1440p as long as you don't use MSAA. SMAA is fine for most games as AA becomes slightly less relevant as the resolution goes up.

You can try using DSR to downscale from 1440p and see for yourself how it performs on your setup.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I had zero issues with my Acer XB270HU. I think it was overhyped problems, you only see people with problems post on internet, never the % of good.

beisat

Apr 30, 2012
Cool, been waiting to buy a xb270hu (still never deliverable here).
This one also has hdmi.

Quick question: Would it be "terrible" to hook my ps4 up to this on the hdmi (as non-nativ resolution output by ps4)? Mostly I play on pc, but bloodborne forced a console on me...which is why I can't get rid of my old 1080p for the displayport only xb270hu.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Cool, been waiting to buy a xb270hu (still never deliverable here).
This one also has hdmi.

Quick question: Would it be "terrible" to hook my ps4 up to this on the hdmi (as non-nativ resolution output by ps4)? Mostly I play on pc, but bloodborne forced a console on me...which is why I can't get rid of my old 1080p for the displayport only xb270hu.

Well it depends on the kind of scaler it uses. Odds are it will just upscale 1080p content to 1440p. It's the same aspect ratio, so in that sense it will look reasonable. But it will otherwise look a bit blurry.

Maybe the scaler will support 1:1 pixel mapping, which would display 1080p content in the center of the screen with black borders (without upscaling), but I doubt it.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
What exactly is G-sync and why is G-sync monitor better?

The short version of what G-Sync is is that it allows the video card to constantly change the monitor's refresh rate based on the frames per second (fps) in a game. This will allow for smoother gameplay as it will eliminate tearing (which is what happens when the videocard is sending frames to the monitor faster than the monitor can display it, so you'll see two different frames during a monitor's refresh, essentially causing the tearing artifact).

So usually Vsync was the way to eliminate tearing, but the downside with Vsync is that it tends to increase input lag and will sometimes stutter if the framerate drops below the monitor refresh rate (most monitors have a 60hz refresh rate).

Gsync eliminates both of these issues, it eliminates tearing and significantly reduces input lag, giving you a nice smooth image to look at while gaming. Other than gaming it has no real use though.

I highly recommend you google G-Sync for more in-depth articles. What I just told you is a very high level view of G-Sync.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
The short version of what G-Sync is is that it allows the video card to constantly change the monitor's refresh rate based on the frames per second (fps) in a game. This will allow for smoother gameplay as it will eliminate tearing (which is what happens when the videocard is sending frames to the monitor faster than the monitor can display it, so you'll see two different frames during a monitor's refresh, essentially causing the tearing artifact).

So usually Vsync was the way to eliminate tearing, but the downside with Vsync is that it tends to increase input lag and will sometimes stutter if the framerate drops below the monitor refresh rate (most monitors have a 60hz refresh rate).

Gsync eliminates both of these issues, it eliminates tearing and significantly reduces input lag, giving you a nice smooth image to look at while gaming. Other than gaming it has no real use though.

I highly recommend you google G-Sync for more in-depth articles. What I just told you is a very high level view of G-Sync.

Is tearing when it look like a horizontal heat wave? If so, then G-sync monitor is a must. Does this mean buying a g-sync get rid of the hassle of worrying which hz refresh rate I need?

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Is tearing when it look like a horizontal heat wave? If so, then G-sync monitor is a must. Does this mean buying a g-sync get rid of the hassle of worrying which hz refresh rate I need?

Yeah, it can look like a horizontal heat wave. And i'm not sure I understand your second question that well, but it takes out most of the hassle of finding the right refresh rate. If you just get a 144Hz panel but the game is playing at 60 fps, the monitor will automatically drop to 60Hz, in game.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Yeah, it can look like a horizontal heat wave. And i'm not sure I understand your second question that well, but it takes out most of the hassle of finding the right refresh rate. If you just get a 144Hz panel but the game is playing at 60 fps, the monitor will automatically drop to 60Hz, in game.

Thanks mate, look like it a no-brainer. This is the first time I heard of G-sync is this a recently re-veil new technology or has it been around for at least a year now?

Also how well is G-sync does it work flawlessly?

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks mate, look like it a no-brainer. This is the first time I heard of G-sync is this a recently re-veil new technology or has it been around for at least a year now?

Also how well is G-sync does it work flawlessly?

It's been around for at least a year. Don't know how flawless it works. For that, Google is your friend. I have a gsync monitor from Acer on order, the xb270hu. That has similar specs as the Asus.

So another thing is Freesync, which works with Amd cards. Gsync only works with nvidia cards, so if you get such a monitor you're stuck with nvidia.

Freesync is a similar technology to gsync. Google it.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
It's been around for at least a year. Don't know how flawless it works. For that, Google is your friend. I have a gsync monitor from Acer on order, the xb270hu. That has similar specs as the Asus.

So another thing is Freesync, which works with Amd cards. Gsync only works with nvidia cards, so if you get such a monitor you're stuck with nvidia.

That seem wrong on so many level. I'll google the rest, thanks.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
These screens are probably still better quality than the average monitor.

But because they're so high end and expensive people want them to be perfect, a dead pixel and it gets returned, on to the next customer who also returns it.

I think they are. I have complained a lot about my Acer's uniformity issue, but when compared to my TN panel (which has a great uniform backlight) the Acer still looks better. The TN has this multicolored effect compared to the Acer. Move your head a little and its rainbow time, all over the screen colors change on you. I expected better uniformity on the Acer, but I'm not going to keep returning the thing. I'm sticking with this one. I am slightly bitter about it though. I had very high quality expectations, but even the ROG Swift has some NASTY uniformity issues as well, at least the test sample anandtech reviewed I believe. So meh.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
the OG swift had a bunch of QC issues when it came out too, maybe more than the acer. then again they might take more care this time, particularly in response to their own and Acer's issues

Given that the TN swift didn't even have a price drop against the Acer coming out I'm pretty sure the new one is going to easily be over $1000 though. Asus commands that brand premium.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
the OG swift had a bunch of QC issues when it came out too, maybe more than the acer. then again they might take more care this time, particularly in response to their own and Acer's issues

Given that the TN swift didn't even have a price drop against the Acer coming out I'm pretty sure the new one is going to easily be over $1000 though. Asus commands that brand premium.

If that's the case then I'll feel good about owner the Acer (unless the asus has good uniformity) then I'll be all like D:hfalseifnsdkD:

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
You don't have to run at 144 fps with a high refresh rate monitor. Just by having a higher refresh rate means you get less motion blur. I have a 970 SLI and none of the games I play at the moment (GTA V, Witcher 3 etc) run over 80 fps in 1440p and for example GTA V goes under 60 at times. With G-Sync this is not really even noticeable.

I think a single 970 or 980 can do pretty well in 1440p as long as you don't use MSAA. SMAA is fine for most games as AA becomes slightly less relevant as the resolution goes up.

You can try using DSR to downscale from 1440p and see for yourself how it performs on your setup.

Yeah, I admittedly don't have any experience with anything over 60hz. I welcome less motion blur, absolutely. But I don't think it is motion blur....well not just motion blur.

I just figured that gaming at over 100fps/Hz sounds like something that might be awesome. Considering the difference I feel gaming at a locked 30-45fps vs locked at 60fps. I can actually tell a difference between 50fps and locked at 60fps.

I cannot stand going from 60fps and dropping 10fps. I cannot stand tearing either and I always play with vsync, always. And I usually play with all eye candy I can manage. I have been gaming at 60hz so my vsync is 60fps. Some games will dip down to 52 and 50, then back up. I find the experience so bothering, I might set my frame cap to something odd like 50 or 55. I am weird like that. See, it is not the micro stutter, it is the feeling.......responsiveness. The change in it. I guess we could say, input lag. It changes and I am very sensitive to it. I can feel the difference in frame rate locked at 50 vs frame rate locked at 60. Even worse, 45 or 40. I am not talking about stutter, that will eventually happen with uneven frames though. I am just saying, turn gsync off in gta5 and lock your frame rate at 45, play for a little bit then lock it at 60fps and feel the difference. I am very very sensitive to that.

I do not know what gaming at 100hz or 144fps will be like. But I cannot see how I won't be blown away by it. Heck, I bet 80fps/Hz would be amassing for me. But I am only speculating. I do know people who will go on for hours about how awesome gaming over 60hz is by itself, on monitors without gsync. I think I will enjoy that too.

As for your case, you have 2 gtx970s to drive a 144 panel. That is a good deal more powerful than a single 980.

Surely you can run a 980 on a 1440p and I have used DSR. I love the picture quality, I just hate the effect on responsiveness. Even In a game like dragon age inquisition, 45-50fps I get with DSR, it is hard to enjoy because of the reduction in responsiveness. It just feels sluggish to me, I think it is more than motion blur.

Am I making any sense? I think I will prefer frame rates higher but gsync may be a totally different experience. 50fps on gsync may feel way different. I will find out soon enough.
I still am not sure about a single 980 playing at 1440p. I believe that it is doable, but I don't think I will be happy about that. I think I would end up buying another 980 or something.

All I know is soon I will know....
I will get to see what gsync is like, what 144hz is like, etc.

That is something I am looking forward to soo much.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm in the market for a new 27" 1440p LCD, currently have a 290x... that means any monitor with Gsync I cannot (or shouldn't?) purchase?

If I get a freesync LCD, am I limited to AMD GPUs forever, until I change my monitor?

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
I'm in the market for a new 27" 1440p LCD, currently have a 290x... that means any monitor with Gsync I cannot (or shouldn't?) purchase?

If I get a freesync LCD, am I limited to AMD GPUs forever, until I change my monitor?

Yes to both of your question.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks - I hadn't looked at LCDs for ~5 years, don't like the idea of my monitor limiting me to a brand of video card, but c'est la vie I guess..

Well the difference between Nvidia's G-Sync and AMD's Freesync is that G-Sync is a closed standard, whereas Freesync is an open standard that's part of the Displayport 1.2a specification (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). AMD just coined it Freesync for marketing purposes I suppose, but the official is (I think) Adaptive Sync.

So while AMD cards will never support G-Sync, as that's a closed standard and requires an additional module to be installed into the monitor, Nvidia cards can in theory support Freesync/Adaptive Sync if Nvidia allows their cards to work with the standard (which should in theory just be a driver update). Also, Freesync/Adaptive Sync doesn't require an additional hardware module, which lowers costs for monitor manufacturers.