• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

New android phone possibly

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I currently have a ZTE Axon 7, it is a few years old I believe but the battery seems like it is wearing out. It won't last as long on a charge. I was thinking of either replacing the battery, or getting a new phone. If I were to get a new phone, I would be looking at a budget of probably $400 or less. I was interested in the google phones, possibly the Pixel 3A? How does that compare to my current phone? I also just read that the 3A has no SD card slot. If I were to get a new phone I would not get a Chinese one for reasons of spying concerns with current foreign relations.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
No Google phone will have an SD card slot, Google is all about the cloud. But the Pixel 3A is a very good phone and it’s mid range process from 2019 will be able to out perform the older high end processor in the ZTE. You probably won’t get a 1440p display in a sub $400 phone, however 1080p display look really good on phones and you may not see the difference.

I’d say take a look at a refurbished Pixel 3. Amazon has some for $300 that are advertised in new condition. You’ll get an even faster processor, better quality OLED display and nicer build quality.

If an SD card is import, I’d look at the Samsung A51. Very modern Samsung design, bezeless display with home punch camera. It’s also a bigger phone with a 6.5 inch display. The processor inside it looks pretty equivilent to the Pixel 3A.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wait so the Pixel 3 is better than the 3A?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Yes, Pixel 3 has a faster Snapdragon 845 processor, higher quality OLED display, better build quality with glass and wireless charging.

The Pixel 3A came about 6 months later, but was meant to be a more budget friendly option. Has same great camera, but has a slower Snapdragon 670, lower quality OLED, plastic body without wireless charging and no IP rating. But a very good phone for it’s price.

However the original Pixel 3 has been out so long that you can often find really good deals that I think can make it a better option than the 3A.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Also the Pixel 4A launch seems very close, probably early August. That phone could potentially launch as low as $400.

The older Pixel 3 will still be faster than the Pixel 4A and probably about the same speed as the bigger 4A 5G that’ll most likely be more expensive.

Between the Pixel 3 and the Pixel 4A, I think will be a toss up between do you want an older fast flagship phone, or a newer mid range phone. The Pixel 4A should look a bit more modern with smaller bezels and a hole punch camera. Assuming the leaks (which there have been many for the 4A) are accurate.

ASK THE COMMUNITY