New AMD system crashing, need help!

purplescarf

Jan 25, 2006
Thanks to those who help me pick parts for my system last week. I put it together this weekend and am running win2k pro on it with the latest service pack 4. System consists of:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Bios 1009
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
eVGA 6600GT pci-e 16x
1GB corsair XMS DDR400
WD800JD 80GB 7200rmp HD
Seasonic S12-430
Liteon DVD-RW
Plextor CD-RW
DVD ROM
LAN card

I'm having a couple of problems, the major one is the system crashes quite frequently, the error I'm getting is Driver_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. I notice that it happens a lot when I have multiple things going on at once. Anyone has experience with this? Please help me!

Another problem, that's a bit minor is that the USB mouse and keyboard tends to freeze all the time, I've downloaded the installed the latest drivers for them, and still happens. sometimes it couple with the crashing too. and i notice that it only happens when i have them plug into USB ports, I now have them plug into the PS/2 ports and they've fine since, but when i plug in other USB devices into those port they work just fine. I've tried multiple mouse and keyboards and they all have the same problem. I suppose I could just stick with the mouse and keyboard on PS/2 ports, but i wish i could find out why they are doing this.

I've installed all the drivers and software that came with the MB, the only thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, the current version is 1009. Could it be the BIOS?

Please help!
Amy

Jorakal

Jan 21, 2006
I am running Windows 2000 on an A8N-E. I installed all the current drivers and it is working fine. So get the 6.70 drivers from Nvidia and the ones from realtek. Also I would suggest upgrading to the most current BIOS.

Question: You are using a LAN card (ethernet NIC I would guess) or are you using the one from the motherboard?

I see you have 3 optical drives? Without looking up your hard drive, is it IDE or SATA?

PBMangan

Jan 29, 2006
It somtimes helps me to go into CMOS and go to Boot Fail Safe mode mode or something like that depends on the bios. It loads bios setting that are most compatible. It something simple to try.

purplescarf

Jan 25, 2006
I installed the old Etherfast LAN card, then realize that the motherboard has its own, so now I'm using the one on the MB.
The harddrive is SATA, and the 3 optical drives are set as primary master, primary slave, and secondary master. At first I thought maybe it's something about the optical drive setting, but I double checked everything and the jumper are all set correctly.
Will try updating the BIOS and see if that will fix it.

smackbomb1216

Mar 31, 2005
I have noticed this problem as well, look at system 1 in my sig... I think it is because of USB peripherals...when i switch a lot of stuff out alot, that happens.I was thinking it may have something to do with my x-fi card (happened with both the platinum and the elite pro in) I also noticed that it stopped happening when i figured out what all the unknown usb devices were and installed them... I have plug and play os in bios disabled and IRQ assignment on auto... i am not sure if this will help, but hey, at keast you dont stand alone.... i have also noticed onboard LAN's are flaky so i use a netgear nic card

DBSX

Jan 24, 2006
Most common cause of most BSODs is faulty RAM. If you have not already, run memtest and/or try running your system with 1 stick at a time of RAM (if only 1 stick, obviously do the memtest).

\Dan

mamisano

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: DBSX
Most common cause of most BSODs is faulty RAM. If you have not already, run memtest and/or try running your system with 1 stick at a time of RAM (if only 1 stick, obviously do the memtest).

\Dan

Yep, usually faulty ram or out-of-spec memory settings.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: purplescarf
Thanks to those who help me pick parts for my system last week. I put it together this weekend and am running win2k pro on it with the latest service pack 4. System consists of:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Bios 1009
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
eVGA 6600GT pci-e 16x
1GB corsair XMS DDR400
WD800JD 80GB 7200rmp HD
Seasonic S12-430
Liteon DVD-RW
Plextor CD-RW
DVD ROM
LAN card

I'm having a couple of problems, the major one is the system crashes quite frequently, the error I'm getting is Driver_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. I notice that it happens a lot when I have multiple things going on at once. Anyone has experience with this? Please help me!

Another problem, that's a bit minor is that the USB mouse and keyboard tends to freeze all the time, I've downloaded the installed the latest drivers for them, and still happens. sometimes it couple with the crashing too. and i notice that it only happens when i have them plug into USB ports, I now have them plug into the PS/2 ports and they've fine since, but when i plug in other USB devices into those port they work just fine. I've tried multiple mouse and keyboards and they all have the same problem. I suppose I could just stick with the mouse and keyboard on PS/2 ports, but i wish i could find out why they are doing this.

I've installed all the drivers and software that came with the MB, the only thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, the current version is 1009. Could it be the BIOS?

Please help!
Amy

Are you using EAX at all? I had 1 program using EAX without me knowing and when I disabled that it stopped. That is one cause of it and can be solved by turning off EAX in applications/games & updating the Audio Drivers.

buleyb

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by: mamisano
Originally posted by: DBSX

\Dan

Yep, usually faulty ram or out-of-spec memory settings.

I'll third this, I've only seen that specific error on systems with out of spec or bad RAM.

purplescarf

Jan 25, 2006
No EAX, I have a old SB extingy external USB sounds card i'm using.
Where can I find a link to how to run memtest? If it's faulty ram, hopefully newegg will take it back.

Jorakal

Jan 21, 2006
I would also suggest you unhook everything you do not need and see if it still happens. Then one-by-one hook them back up to see when it happens.

buleyb

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
I know the KnoppMyth (Knoppix w/ MythTV) CD has a memtest option available at boot time, if you're looking to just try something out...

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
everytime i get Driver_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL i have found it to be temperature related. make sure your heatsink is attached correctly. that is hardware related error

purplescarf

Jan 25, 2006
I've ran the memtest for 16+ hours, no errors. I think my bios versioin 1009 is the latest for the A8N-SLI premium, the latest one listed on Asus website is still a beta I think, so I'll stick with this one for now. I've checked my cpu temperatures, and it's running around 27C, the MB is running 28C so everything seems healthy. Though it hasn't happened in the past couple of days, but I haven't done very much other than surf the web.

haze111

Oct 6, 2004
I had this same error when I first setup my system, although it was a different nforce4 mobo. I fixed it when I uninstalled/disabled the nforce firewall. I just use the hardware firewall in my router now.

purplescarf

Jan 25, 2006
so it stopped happenning for a few days but i wasn't doing much with it. but it's back again today, and I notice that it happens when i'm burning a dvd while doing other stuff at the same time.
i'm not sure if i've got the nforce firewall up or not, how can i tell?

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
This board has the pasive northbridge cooler right? Try to feel if it is getting overly hot.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: purplescarf
so it stopped happenning for a few days but i wasn't doing much with it. but it's back again today, and I notice that it happens when i'm burning a dvd while doing other stuff at the same time.
i'm not sure if i've got the nforce firewall up or not, how can i tell?

Update all your drivers...audio, video, everything.
Do all Windows updates. ALL of them.
If problem persists, run MPSReports (see my .sig) and send me resulting .cab file.
Send me minidumps created AFTER you did all the updates listed above, found in c:\windows\minidumps.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Also, what memory voltage are you giving the Corsair XMS? If you left an A8N-SLI Premium on AUTO, that would be 2.6 volts. The RAM's good for up to 2.8 volts, so consider giving it more voltage.