New AMD Athlon X4

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Does this mean Phenom is basically EOL? It would make sense to push these instead of Phenom due to their (appearingly) good power consumption and comparable performance per clock.

I could see the X4s priced from $90-130, the X3s from $70-100 and the existing X2s $50-80.

Rick James

Feb 17, 2009
Way to go amd. Make the X4 seem like its standing still next to every intel chip. 2 megs of cache for 4 cores? no thanks

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ExarKun333
Does this mean Phenom is basically EOL? It would make sense to push these instead of Phenom due to their (appearingly) good power consumption and comparable performance per clock.

I could see the X4s priced from $90-130, the X3s from $70-100 and the existing X2s $50-80.

AMD had this on their road map since last year. PhII will still be around - a 3.5Ghz part is rumored for release later this year - Athlon X4 will be a "budget quad", kinda like Intel's Q8x00's, but probably not as good.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Rick James
Way to go amd. Make the X4 seem like its standing still next to every intel chip. 2 megs of cache for 4 cores? no thanks

It's a budget chip. If the rumored price - ~$100 - is correct, it will trump Intel in many apps at that price point.

And if you are building an HTPC, this would be fantastic.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Sometimes I feel a little discouraged when I hear about AMD announcing yet more low-end chips, but these ones have promise. I know the X2 4850e and 5050e have been popular with HTPC builders for their low power consumption. Having a 45W quad-core on the roadmap is a nice step.

Apr 20, 2008
An AMD Quad at only 45w? This is insane. Good for them. It's good for almost all users.

Originally posted by: Rick James

EDIT: Anyone bashing this CPU should probably step back and realize how 90% of computer users use their computer. Very lightly. Also these quads will be much better then any dual cores ever made once most software takes the multithreaded plunge. I'm excited for these quads. I'll probably pick one up, undervolt it and make a HTPC/TV gamer out of it.

Also, rick james (notice i didn't even capitalize), you are one intel fanboy. Go make love to your computer as you make quite a few threads about it each week. Just because you wouldn't have a use for it (you are so cool!!) doesn't mean you should sarcastically praise them.

Toms Hardware is only a few keystrokes away..

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
depending on how cache dependant whatever you are running is this could be very fast.

i mean an athlon X2 5400+ is basically similar to half of this but with an older architecture.

And thats not a completely god awful chip... so who knows

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Originally posted by: ExarKun333

I believe June was the month listed for the end of Phenom(65nm).