New Alienware AW3418DW Owner but IPS Glow Issues

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Finally went ultrawide and got the Alienware AW3418DW to complete my most recent build. I used the icc profile and calibration tips from TFT Central - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3418dw.htm which lowers the brightness to 37 but when I game, I use the display's FPS profile which increases the brightness to 75. But even with the brightness back down to 37, I have major IPS glow in both left corners. It's noticeable with any black content on that side and wondering if I should RMA it in hopes of getting an improved display. Would you RMA it?

New setup:
94af20V.jpg

Black image showing IPS Glow:
Z93bjCY.jpg

Reduced camera exposure:
TC9qNl9.jpg

Corner Close up:
rA2zCFH.jpg

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Nice case... is that the 460x or the 570x?

Anyway, just had this problem on my AW3418DW except yours looks less worse than mine. These displays are guaranteed to have flaws from what I've researched. Also I eventually learned the 120hz OC can start to flicker and you have to keep dialing it back... 117hz... 115hz... 110hz etc until it goes away. Not sure if it keeps going after that...

I also had an XB270HU before I got the AW and I noticed the AW did just not look as good. After some searching I believe it's due to the contrast ratio not achieving 1000:1 as advertised.

I took the AW back and got the XB271HU (g sync and 165hz instead of the 144hz freesync) and felt I made the right choice. I also saved about $400. I think they have a ways to go on the higher resolution IPS displays with fast refresh.

If you'll be bugged to death if there is IPS glow, I don't think you'll get one without it. Mine had a decent bit of BLB which looks like you have a decent amount as well and ultimately what I could not accept. IPS glow does not bother me nearly as much.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
That's pretty bad. I don't know if that's the first gen but usually the first gen seems to suffer more from IPS glow. My LG UW is second gen and the issue was pretty much eliminated. From pictures I've seen of the 1st gen they were even worst than that. BLB is also nonexistent but the image retention is pretty bad on mine. No burn in but heavy ghosting just after a minute or 2 with text and graphics against a white background.

You can try exchanging it but I hate that nagging feeling that the new one could be even worse. I did have to exchange mine once but due to flashing red and green pixels over the whole screen.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Nice case... is that the 460x or the 570x?

Anyway, just had this problem on my AW3418DW except yours looks less worse than mine. These displays are guaranteed to have flaws from what I've researched. Also I eventually learned the 120hz OC can It'sr and you have to keep dialing it back... 117hz... 115hz... 110hz etc until it goes away. Not sure if it keeps going after that...

I also had an XB270HU before I got the AW and I noticed the AW did just not look as good. After some searching I believe it's due to the contrast ratio not achieving 1000:1 as advertised.

I took the AW back and got the XB271HU (g sync and 165hz instead of the 144hz freesync) and felt I made the right choice. I also saved about $400. I think they have a ways to go on the higher resolution IPS displays with fast refresh.

If you'll be bugged to death if there is IPS glow, I don't think you'll get one without it. Mine had a decent bit of BLB which looks like you have a decent amount as well and ultimately what I could not accept. IPS glow does not bother me nearly as much.

Yes, it's the Corsair 570X White. Great case.

I went over to Microcenter today which has a AW3418DW display. It was really bright even after a staff person turned down some of the lights, it was hard to tell if there was any blb or ips glow. I posted in reddit and one guy who exchanged a few of them due to blb issues was told that the Alienware engineers were aware of the issue and they're working on a new revision of the display with a better working display but it wasn't going to happen anytime soon and who knows if they would provide these monitors as RMA exchange. So, I think I'm going to return it to Best Buy where I bought it from. If they want to send me a new one, I'll try it out as I really like this monitor and want to keep it.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That's pretty bad. I don't know if that's the first gen but usually the first gen seems to suffer more from IPS glow. My LG UW is second gen and the issue was pretty much eliminated. From pictures I've seen of the 1st gen they were even worst than that. BLB is also nonexistent but the image retention is pretty bad on mine. No burn in but heavy ghosting just after a minute or 2 with text and graphics against a white background.

You can try exchanging it but I hate that nagging feeling that the new one could be even worse. I did have to exchange mine once but due to flashing red and green pixels over the whole screen.

Best Buy was out of stock for a while and had to wait but when I got mine it shows a manufactured date of 8/17 when I know others have been getting one built as recently as 11/17. Alienware Engineers are aware of the issue and supposedly working on fixing it but who knows when a new revision of the monitor will come out, so I'm going to return it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
That looks kinda bad but all ips monitors will have ips glow. My current PG348 has less glow than my old XB270HU had. I love this PG348 and still think its the best 21:9 gaming monitor out there. If you return it and can wait, Asus has a new 200hz refresh VA panel version coming out. Otherwise just return the one you have for another one and be happy with it. Some acceptance of ips glow is necessary because all these gaming ips panels have it to some degree or another.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That looks kinda bad but all ips monitors will have ips glow. My current PG348 has less glow than my old XB270HU had. I love this PG348 and still think its the best 21:9 gaming monitor out there. If you return it and can wait, Asus has a new 200hz refresh VA panel version coming out. Otherwise just return the one you have for another one and be happy with it. Some acceptance of ips glow is necessary because all these gaming ips panels have it to some degree or another.

Yeah, I have several other IPS monitors but none of them are this bad. I went to Best Buy to return it and thought they would give me a hard time but I should them a photo of the monitor and they agreed that it was bad. They didn't even open the box and actually offered to have another one shipped to me. I hesitated at first not wanting another monitor that was manufactured in 8/17(first batch) and also rumor has it that there may be a revision coming but they said that if it had the same issue that I could return it again. So, I'll be getting a new one on Friday. Hoping it's a better panel and I can enjoy it.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, I have several other IPS monitors but none of them are this bad. I went to Best Buy to return it and thought they would give me a hard time but I should them a photo of the monitor and they agreed that it was bad. They didn't even open the box and actually offered to have another one shipped to me. I hesitated at first not wanting another monitor that was manufactured in 8/17(first batch) and also rumor has it that there may be a revision coming but they said that if it had the same issue that I could return it again. So, I'll be getting a new one on Friday. Hoping it's a better panel and I can enjoy it.

Hope it works out... also every time I see your name, this runs through my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85xpFFxd9Y