New A64 3200+

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Jebus! That's gotta be one fast computer but I'd be scared to fry some very nice ram if I were running it at 3.3+V!

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Jebus! That's gotta be one fast computer but I'd be scared to fry some very nice ram if I were running it at 3.3+V!

i think it'll be just fine :)

3.3 to 3.4 volts is fine...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
:Q

Hey Shim, did you get a chance to run POVRAY with the AMD engine?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
This thread is INSANE! :Q There's some hardcore OCing going on here! Great job, Shimmishim. I'm reading your thread over at Bleedingedge.com; quite a few familiar faces...I may have to sign up. :)

Got a question about your SANDRA memory score; something doesn't look right. I'm sure it's b/c I'm not real smart on the A64. :eek:

Your memory scores are 2202/2213. Isn't that kind of low? :confused:

I mean, I've got a vanilla AthlonXP rig (MoneyPit in "Rigs Profile") and I get just a hair under 3000MB/s. That's at 200MHz, BTW.

What am I missing?

side note: Where can I get SuperPI? Looks like another "standard" benchmark...interesting to see what I'd get. :)

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelDGot a question about your SANDRA memory score; something doesn't look right. I'm sure it's b/c I'm not real smart on the A64. :eek:

A64 boards do not have dual channel capability. That is worth 200- 300pts, but you are right, running at 250 FSB 2200's are a little low. It is most likely due to the fact Shim's not using a 64- bit OS with the 64- bit Sandra. There has to be some kind of performance hit there. I'd like to see these scores in a year when there are 64- bit drivers and apps for the A64/64-bit XP platform.

Can anyone else with an A64 setup run Sandra??

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
This thread is INSANE! :Q There's some hardcore OCing going on here! Great job, Shimmishim. I'm reading your thread over at Bleedingedge.com; quite a few familiar faces...I may have to sign up. :)

Got a question about your SANDRA memory score; something doesn't look right. I'm sure it's b/c I'm not real smart on the A64. :eek:

I mean, I've got a vanilla AthlonXP rig (MoneyPit in "Rigs Profile") and I get just a hair under 3000MB/s. That's at 200MHz, BTW.

What am I missing?

side note: Where can I get SuperPI? Looks like another "standard" benchmark...interesting to see what I'd get. :)

are you also running unbuffered tests? :)

but yeah.... no dual channel... so big penalty there... :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Dustswirl
This thread has all you need MichaelD :) SuperPI and more

Ohh, linkified goodness. Thank you. :)

I'm not running dual-channel; my board won't do dual channel @ 200MHz, no matter the timings or voltages. I forgot to disable bufferering. BRB with an updated score. :)

Here we are. No buffering. Not so great now. :eek:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
unbuffered

that's how you run unbuffered tests in sandra

Hmm, I'm running SANDRA 2004, and my options box looks different than that. The only thing I unchecked was "Use buffering" towards the bottom of the list. BTW, in SuperPI, what test do you guys run? Off that dropdown menu there's a bunch of different ones.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
i have sandra 04 as well and have the options shown in that link... look carefully...

drop menu.. run 1M test and 2M test

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
(tastes his XP2500) nope... not vanilla... (still wonders what a vanilla Athlon XP is)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
(tastes his XP2500) nope... not vanilla... (still wonders what a vanilla Athlon XP is)

Are you kidding? You've never heard the expression "A plain-old vanilla XYZ" before?
rolleye.gif

"Vanilla" meaning "plain", "nothing special", "ordinary", "nothing fantastically-earth-shattering-be-all-end-all-schiznitz." Got it? :D