Info New 5950x box for DC ** Its live now ! See the bottom for details. **

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I also have MB, Ram, NVME SSDs, etc, just waiting for a 5950x. Until I get it, I’m using a 5.5 year old Amd APU, an A10-7870k. Yeah, I REALLY need the 5950x :D

Reactions: TennesseeTony

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have case, fans, PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, SSD, CPU waterblock, pump, tubes etc. stashed away unused since December 2017. This was when we folded together with Brony@home. These parts were supposed to host two GPUs which were impossible to get by the end of 12/2017 and during the following months.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Well.... I would like to have more heat in my home basement office this winter. I am too cheap to open any of the forced air vents, so I guess I can call mine a NEED! It would help my fingers move faster and the silicon expense would then likely add to human efficiency. I run up and down the stairs every now and then to get hot coffee or similar products, so this could be a financial savings also?

This goes too long and I might have to wait until the next Threadrippers to waste even more funds on? Sad, sad, sad.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Well.... I would like to have more heat in my home basement office this winter. I am too cheap to open any of the forced air vents, so I guess I can call mine a NEED! It would help my fingers move faster and the silicon expense would then likely add to human efficiency. I run up and down the stairs every now and then to get hot coffee or similar products, so this could be a financial savings also?

This goes too long and I might have to wait until the next Threadrippers to waste even more funds on? Sad, sad, sad.
If all you want is heat, I’ve got 2 core 2 quads, and an old APU that need a home. I’ve also got an old Prescott pentium 4 - bet you could find lots of those for free in the right places...

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Haha, I have plenty of old junk that could heat the place! Going back to early 80's cause I'm a horder? Though the old stuff does not generate much heat and a lot of it is heatsink-less.

I think I have an old original Pong console also. It worked 10-15 years ago on a t.v. that still had the (what?) inputs... RF?

I typically undervolt for greater efficiency, but I am kind of cold right now and still in the basement.... So a little overvolting and overclocking is in order just to be humane? For tonight anyway? :)

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Haha, I have plenty of old junk that could heat the place! Going back to early 80's cause I'm a horder? Though the old stuff does not generate much heat and a lot of it is heatsink-less.

I think I have an old original Pong console also. It worked 10-15 years ago on a t.v. that still had the (what?) inputs... RF?

I typically undervolt for greater efficiency, but I am kind of cold right now and still in the basement.... So a little overvolting and overclocking is in order just to be humane? For tonight anyway? :)
Exactly! If you need extra inspiration: https://greenfoldingathome.com/2020...ghome-space-heater-and-why-would-you-want-to/

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I have both inspiration and dollars, but I would like the most compute with current tech efficiency.

Actually this may inspire me to cut a hole in my home made built in basement desk setup and put at least one puter closer to the ground. I think the hole cut will be behind my cheap tcl 43inch 4k "monitor" - it does great... and a few years old btw.

I don't like cables, but my current setup is a cable mess. The lower puter case lower to the cold concrete floor might feel nice!

Just have to commit to cutting a 1.5" beautiful solid surface to run cables (keyboard, video primarily) that I can't see cause it is all covered in paper, cables, and other sheee-stuf. :)

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I will have to build some platforms for under built in desk / shelf puters, as I don't like puters sitting on dust sucking floors. ( I have animals...)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have both inspiration and dollars, but I would like the most compute with current tech efficiency.

Actually this may inspire me to cut a hole in my home made built in basement desk setup and put at least one puter closer to the ground. I think the hole cut will be behind my cheap tcl 43inch 4k "monitor" - it does great... and a few years old btw.

I don't like cables, but my current setup is a cable mess. The lower puter case lower to the cold concrete floor might feel nice!

Just have to commit to cutting a 1.5" beautiful solid surface to run cables (keyboard, video primarily) that I can't see cause it is all covered in paper, cables, and other sheee-stuf. :)
If you want to most compute with tech efficiency, buy an EPYC system, they rock.

Edit: Rome or Milan, not naples.

Reactions: Endgame124

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It’s not the 5950, but Amazon has 5800x showing ship by Christmas

I saw that when it was 1-2 days... , but I want 2 5950x for 32 /64 of the fastest cores out there, not half that... I will be patient.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
How many did they have in stock? How far back in line were you getting there at 3:55AM? That's great to hear, I look forward to seeing how it performs!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I got up at 3:30am today, drove to microcenter, and got in line at 3:55am. I am now the owner of a 5950x, which if all goes well, will be up and running tomorrow.
Could you have gotten more ? or one to a customer. Mine is still nowhere in my BH Photo order.,

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
How many did they have in stock? How far back in line were you getting there at 3:55AM? That's great to hear, I look forward to seeing how it performs!
I was 7th in line. Yesterday I showed up at 8 (1 hour before opening) and could have gotten a MSI 3090 SUPRIM, but just couldn’t justify the price without the other components. By 6am the line was about 40 people long, give or take. Today the truck was delayed, so they took everyone’s phone number, spot in line, and wish list and texted about 1pm. They got no video cards, 5 5950s, 15 5800s and 15 5600s. The only thing listed on the website was a couple 5800s, so the people in line got the rest.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
1 cpu per customer per 30 days. Same with video cards
Well, thats good for us, bad for spammers, but also bad for those that can't drive to a microcenter. I think the closest one for me is over 15 hour drive. See below:
15 hr 58 min (995.3 mi) via I-5 N (Tustin, CA)
19 hr 5 min (1,246.7 mi) via I-80 W and I-84 W (Denver, CO)

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Well, thats good for us, bad for spammers, but also bad for those that can't drive to a microcenter. I think the closest one for me is over 15 hour drive. See below:
15 hr 58 min (995.3 mi) via I-5 N (Tustin, CA)
19 hr 5 min (1,246.7 mi) via I-80 W and I-84 W (Denver, CO)
It certainly helps against bots, but it’s not perfect either. Talking to people in line, the limits are not well enforced at microcenters between states, so there were multiple people from Virginia at my Microcenter . Additionally there was disagreement if the limit applies to each model of video card (can I buy a 3080 and a 3070?) or not.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
5950x is a rare beast. I don't spend all my time looking at the webs for it, but it would be nice to have a chance at one before the end of January....

At this point I am not willing to wait outside a store in the wee hours for one either. So please post performance results, as I will be living through you for entertainment on this for awhile :)

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
5950x is a rare beast. I don't spend all my time looking at the webs for it, but it would be nice to have a chance at one before the end of January....

At this point I am not willing to wait outside a store in the wee hours for one either. So please post performance results, as I will be living through you for entertainment on this for awhile :)
I will certainly post what I find. At best it’s going to be a few days - I’m running a full custom water cooling loop, and I still need to leak test. Current components are:

CPU: Ryzen 5950(duh)
Motherboard: Asus crosshair hero 8
Ram: skill 64 GB ddr 4 4000
Storage:
1tb Samsung 980 pro (system)
2tb Samsung 970 evo (steam)
Case: Fractal define 7 xl
Power supply: Seasonic TX1000 titanium
Video card: Nvidia GT 710
Cooling:
Water block: optimus AMD foundation block, pure copper
Radiators:
Thermochill PA 120.3, push + pull with mix of 3x GT AP-15 (push), Arctic cooling 120 pull
HW labs XFlow GT 420, push pull with mix of 3x fractal 140 push and 2x Arctic 140 pull
Pump: Optimus tube Rez, with d5 built in

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So, now I have 2 motherboards, flashed to the latest bios (with my new 3600), 2 NVME drives, 2 HUGE HSF's (Noctua D15 and cooler master Hyper 612 v2) one case and PSU, and one case and PSU on the way, and 2 sets of memory, 3600 cl16 and 4000 cl18......

All I am missing is 2 5950x's and 2 GTX 3080's.. When will this stock shortage be over... I have even paid off all these things so far. This is damn frustrating... I have been patient for 2 months now.... My B&H photo order said first ETA Dec 21, then Early Jan, so when ???? I preordered Nov 5th.

Last edited:
Reactions: lane42

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey, Mark, ping me with a PM when you want to get rid of the 3600 (if you do want to get rid of it, eventually), I'm interested, for the right / a fair price.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hey, Mark, ping me with a PM when you want to get rid of the 3600 (if you do want to get rid of it, eventually), I'm interested, for the right / a fair price.
As soon as I get my first 5000 series, I will be ready. I paid $200 for it, PM me an offer.... When the time comes we can be ready.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Hey, Mark, ping me if one or both of your 5950x don't live up to your expectations ;) in the first few weeks, if you ever receive them. :p I'm interested, for the right / and fair price :p

The current cpu / graphic card shortages are bad. Like worse than ever bad at this point? When was it ever this bad on both fronts at the same time? I don't remember that it has ever been this bad. I can remember back 20 years with various items low on stock and higher priced, graphics, ram, cpus, not motherboards?

I do believe that the U.S. should not ever lose the silicon shrinkage wars.... Big silicon inserted into everything in the U.S. has been the norm here, has it not, as long as the chips have been etched:mad:? Meant to be funny, but the recent lack of ever smaller switches but larger transistor count silicon lately is troublesome.

I want my MTV... No, I would like some music videos and more powerful (using less power :) ) silicon.

Still searching for an 5950x... Still searching...

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Amazons spammer price for the 5950x has come down from $2000 (the high I think) to $1248... Do you think they know that the $800 retail ones are coming soon, and trying to dump before they don't get their big price ?? The 5900x is at $930.... Even worse compared to retail price IMO