New 55nm GTX series only Ultra Highend?

mikedi

Apr 29, 2008
Hi,
So I am building a new rig soon, but I am having some trouble deciding on a GPU.

The price drops on the current GTX260 makes it somewhat reasonable, but I hear some talk about nVidia soon is coming out with 55nm part(s) of the GTX series!

So what I am wondering is if this is to counter R700 exclusively, or if they will release a 55nm GTX260 equivalent with slightly better performance + lower power consumption?

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
They are planning to release a GTX+ line of cards, i don't know weather they are including the 260 in this but it would not make sense if they chose not to.

As for going head to head with the 4870X2, it would have to be a brave card indeed and by this is mean seriously ramping up the clocks. No one knows how much headroom is available in a die shrunk GTX280 for clock increases.

mikedi

Apr 29, 2008
Interesting.. I was afraid they would only put 1 top end card out, and leave the runners up in the 65nm dust.

Anyway, as I stated in previous post I'd like to see a slightly added performance boost, and lower power consumption so these cards can finally be better performance for the buck than single card 8800GT or 8800GT sli setups.

Guess I'll wait another month or so to what nVidia is really up to :)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: mikedi
Interesting.. I was afraid they would only put 1 top end card out, and leave the runners up in the 65nm dust.

Anyway, as I stated in previous post I'd like to see a slightly added performance boost, and lower power consumption so these cards can finally be better performance for the buck than single card 8800GT or 8800GT sli setups.

Guess I'll wait another month or so to what nVidia is really up to :)

They've already released the 55nm 9800GTX+ mid range card, so it's not likely they're planning to only launch "one high end part".

I'd bet there will be a 55nm GTX 260 part, although I haven't discussed that one personally. (my interest is more in the 55nm GTX280)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Its likely they will refresh the GTX 200 product line with 55nm variants. The 1.4 billion transistors on the current 65nm process aren't exactly cheap to produce. Nvidia will want to convert to 55nm once they know its a stable, effective process, which is why they tested it on the 9800 GTX+.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The plus side to it all is they both will use only 2 6pin connectors now. No more 8 pin. sweetness.

mikedi

Apr 29, 2008
I had kind of expected they would replace current card line up with new cards at some point.

But I was wondering if there is any emminent plans to replace GTX260 and GTX280 with 55nm products, or weather nVidia will now focus on a 55nm card to take on R700 and then maybe wait til spring to release the GTX replacements?

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: nRollo
They've already released the 55nm 9800GTX+ mid range card, so it's not likely they're planning to only launch "one high end part".

I'd bet there will be a 55nm GTX 260 part, although I haven't discussed that one personally. (my interest is more in the 55nm GTX280)

From what I know, the 55nm cards will be cheaper than the 65nm cards. Am I right?

In that case, around what price point can we expect these "new cards" to debut at?

The "GTX 260+" would have to be like $250 or below.
The "GTX 280+" would have to be like $400 or below.

Note: This is just a speculation but it might have some weight behind it.

nRollo......answer me.....from your expertise and privileged position...:D

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I dont get one thing "+" cards cost more to us than the older cards based on 65nm but at the same time they cost less to the company to make.. So why do we have to pay more to get a shrunken card!!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
cheex, I've already seen gtx 260 for $225 AR and gtx 280 for $369 AR, so if they're cheaper to make they could drop to $199 and $299. THAT would be very nice indeed and would pull over a lot of the ati fanboys, though realistically I think that nvidia is very hard-pressed right now to remain profitable at current prices. They need to immediately improve yield % in addition to going to the smaller process if they want to return to good profits. Also, they need to throw out the g92 replacement in he gt200 series ASAP.

rollo, have you heard any rumors about clocks on the 55nm gt 200? Is 10% bump a reasonable estimate, or are we going to see something even stronger than that?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
I dont get one thing "+" cards cost more to us than the older cards based on 65nm but at the same time they cost less to the company to make.. So why do we have to pay more to get a shrunken card!!

Because the shrunken cores usually clock higher and generally perform better. You also have to remember that a die shrink isn't free. They don't just set a dial to 55nm from 65nm, and call it done.

Of course, over time they will sell more and more of the 55nm cards and the price will drop. Either that or a competitor launches a product that necessitates a price drop because they release a cheaper and/or better product.

It's a always about supply/demand. They will charge what they can. If the cards are too expensive for you, you won't buy one. If they can't sell a gpu at a profit, they will go out of business.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Cheex
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
I honesty think that this naming scheme is better.

GTX260 --> GTX270
GTX280 --> GTX290

I agree. LOL. :confused:

Even though that makes a lot of sense, I'm guessing the Nvidia marketing team will come up with a completely new naming scheme that sounds cool but completely mystifies the customer.

darXoul

Jan 15, 2004
280 GTX+ and 260 GTX+ is what we'll probably see... I also prefer GTX 270/290 but if the lower model actually proves faster than the current 280 GTX, the name will be misleading (not that nVidia and ATi care much about that :D). 280 Ultra would be also OK for the faster version but 260 Ultra I think is not possible, since nV usually only labels their top of the line cards that way, IIRC.