New 2500k build.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
got my Sandy Bridge build together on Saturday. have a few questions.

Using the Hyper 212+ I get upper 30's (35 - 37 C) on idle. I did use some old AS5 instead of the stuff that came with the 212+. I can easily pull the 212 off and reapply the material that came with it if need be. The room my PC is in is a touch hotter than I'd like anyway. Front facing room with sun on it all day in hot GA weather.
The reason I mention it is I would like to overclock it since most say it's pretty simple. I'd like to get the temps respectable before I do so.

What do you all use to monitor temps? My temps above are based off of the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utlility.

Also, I notice the Windows Experience on gave my cpu a 7.5. I've read some others getting 7.6. Not a big deal to me since I typically do not "benchmark" but I thought I would mention it.

funkatation

Jan 9, 2003
I've used RealTemp for the most part. I idle around 25-27 C and max out at 51C @ 4.2Ghz on my 2500K with Hyper 212+ and AS5.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I've used RealTemp for the most part. I idle around 25-27 C and max out at 51C @ 4.2Ghz on my 2500K with Hyper 212+ and AS5.

What are your room temps?

Also, did you make 3 short lines of AS5 on the bottom of the heatsink?

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Wouldn't worry about the windows experience score I get 7.5 as well on my 2500K @ stock clocks.

I have the 212+ and used a new tube of AS5 and my idles temps are 36-38C in a 23C (74F) room. More importantly are your load temps. Mine hit 60-62C max under prime blend tests. WHat are your load temps?

I'm in ATL so I can relate to the heat. My temps are with the R3 Fractal case and 3 120mm fans @ 800rpm when idle 1200rpm under load. One intake front, one on 212+, and one on the rear exhaust. This is with a 6950 Sapphire also exhausting out the rear. PSU draws air in from it's own vent on bottom and exhausts out rear.

I use HWMonitor, Speedfan, and bios to get a hold of what temps are what.

With a 4.2GHz OC my idle temps remain about the same (EIST on in bios) and my load temps barely break 65C

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I haven't tested Load temps. I just got the build together late saturday night and haven't had much time to do anything on it. I still have a lot of programs to install and other things to configure.

I may just reinstall the heatsink with the 212 thermal paste next weekend just to see if there's a difference.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Use HWmonitor. Gives temps, but also voltage. Tell us what your idle voltage is.

Do not reinstall heatsink until you confirm whether there's a problem with high load temps. High idle temps where load temps are fine is almost always caused by voltage.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Not sure why people love the 212+. Seems more people have issues with it than anything else. Most of the "running hot" threads are comnig from 212+ owners.

I bought a Zalman 9500AT (http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=161) for just $34.99 and it works flawlessly. I get 28C Idle and 55C max load (Prime95) running a 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, with room temps at 20C. I use AS5, but just purchased some IC Diamond 7 (http://www.innovationcooling.com/overview.htm), which may lower my temps even further.

funkatation

Jan 9, 2003
What are your room temps?

Also, did you make 3 short lines of AS5 on the bottom of the heatsink?

In the winter it's been no more than 68F. Had our first warm day yesterday and it looked like temps went up slightly, but not too bad.

I made 2 lines on the heatsink. First, I used a plastic card to fill in the gaps between the pipes, wiped off the excess, then put the 2 lines on.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Use HWmonitor. Gives temps, but also voltage. Tell us what your idle voltage is.

Will do.

In the winter it's been no more than 68F. Had our first warm day yesterday and it looked like temps went up slightly, but not too bad.

I made 2 lines on the heatsink. First, I used a plastic card to fill in the gaps between the pipes, wiped off the excess, then put the 2 lines on.

I need to check mine but i know that room stays pretty warm. I think that's most of my issue.
I didn't fill in the gaps. Also, you used 2 lines? I used one line on each of the silver colored strips. So, I used 3 in all. Maybe I am missing something but why did you only do 2?

gr8erimage

Jan 24, 2011
Not sure why people love the 212+. Seems more people have issues with it than anything else. Most of the "running hot" threads are comnig from 212+ owners.

Most of the HSF realated problems stem from:
1. Looking at the bios temp instead of using HWMonitor
2. Unreasonable expectations
3. Incorrect installs ( fan orientation, not TIM )
4. Faulty chip

I don't recall seeing any threads where someone switched from a 212+ or redid their TIM and got signifficantly lower temps.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Most of the HSF realated problems stem from:
1. Looking at the bios temp instead of using HWMonitor because power savings doesn't turn on in the bios
2. Unreasonable expectations for SB idle temps
3. Incorrect installs ( fan orientation, not TIM )
4. Faulty chip
5. Running load voltages at idle

I don't recall seeing any threads where someone switched from a 212+ or redid their TIM and got signifficantly lower temps.

Added a few things to that list.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Because people still bother with AS5 and expect it to glue just after it was applied.
If you want that effect then use Mx-4 then. As got that 200 hour glue period.
High temps. Circulation and applying voltage for more than needed. Simple rule. Only voltage applied when needed.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Because people still bother with AS5 and expect it to glue just after it was applied.
If you want that effect then use Mx-4 then. As got that 200 hour glue period.
High temps. Circulation and applying voltage for more than needed. Simple rule. Only voltage applied when needed.

While AS5 isn't the primary cause of sky-high idle temps, it's no longer a leading product.

Anyone building a new system should probably ditch their AS5 (this includes me) and replace it with something much more effective, as reviewed here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-1_12.html#sect0. MX-4 is one of those alternatives (although not listed in this review, it's likely identical to Tuniq TX-4), and I'm personally going to go with Gelid GC-Extreme.

OP - the last thing you'd ever want to do is remove your heatsink, strip the AS5, and apply the stock Coolermaster junk. It's one of the worst TIMs available anywhere: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-2_7.html#sect0

Last edited:

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Small update.

Computer room temp is 75F ( it feels hotter than that) according to a small cheap digital thermometer I have.

Here is a screen cap of HWMonitor that Termie recommended. Not sure what it all means but it looks like I am right around 1.0V at idle.

hwmon.jpg

Grey!matter

Feb 5, 2011
I have a 212 with push/pull and used as5 for my SB build as well. My temps up until a couple days ago were around 25-30, those temps have gone up around 1-3 degrees this past week. However, I believe this to be caused by it being pretty hot outside these past couple of days.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Termie - I saw your last edit in regards to the paste that came with the 212. I definitely will not use it.

However I am back to square one. Is my voltage acceptable? My room temp is decent now but summer is coming and the room will get much warmer.

What else can I try? can anyone confirm I should have only put 2 lines of AS5 on the plate of my 212? As I said earlier, I did 3. I need to rule out that before I try something else.

I am considering going with a different product (maybe the Gelid GC-Extreme Termie mentioned). As I said the AS5 was old, probably ~5 years.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Termie - I saw your last edit in regards to the paste that came with the 212. I definitely will not use it.

However I am back to square one. Is my voltage acceptable? My room temp is decent now but summer is coming and the room will get much warmer.

What else can I try? can anyone confirm I should have only put 2 lines of AS5 on the plate of my 212? As I said earlier, I did 3. I need to rule out that before I try something else.

I am considering going with a different product (maybe the Gelid GC-Extreme Termie mentioned). As I said the AS5 was old, probably ~5 years.

From your HWMonitor screen shot, I'd say everything is working fine. You have the correct idle voltage under 1.0v, you have sitting idle temps at about 34C, which are very similar to everyone else running a Hyper212+, the load voltage apparently ramped up to 1.2v, which is also correct, and your method of TIM application sounds reasonable. So now try running IntelBurnTest and see what your load temps are: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml.

If they are under 60C, your computer is in perfect working order and you're ready to try overclocking.

gr8erimage

Jan 24, 2011

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
OK, I'm back.

termie (or anyone else) I was not certain how to use IntelBurn so I may not have done everything correctly.

All I did was change the stress level to Maximum.

Here's the results.

hwmon1.jpg

Edit: Temps have gone up slightly over the last few days. Not sure why. Room temp is always pretty constant. 75-76F. I thought AS5 was supposed to get better when it "cured" or whatever.

Last edited: