Never trust the cable people - just me venting

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
I'm frustrated with the cable company and need to vent. No useful information follows below, so if you're not looking to waste time don't read.

Alright, recently the cable in the living room started having trouble. The other two TV's in the house work just fine on all the channels. After satisfying myself that it was not the TV or the connecting cable (no other inputs on this TV having trouble and bought a brand new shorter cable and connected it) I finally called Comcast (the cable company). I don't like sitting on the phone, especially on hold, so I used the "Chat with a representative" feature on their website to report the problem.

Chatted with the guy. He tried "bouncing the box" but that didn't work (I don't have digital, only coax but according to him they still bounce the box - ok). This is were I believe the trouble all started. His reply when I reported the bounce didn't work and I was still having trouble, "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" WTF, yes my connection is still having problems you can help me with that. At this point I had to ask if I would need a tech to come out and check the connection. His entire reply "Yes." Then I have to ask if he can setup an appoinment to do that. Again, his entire reply "Yes, I can." Most normal people would put 2 +2 together but not this guy. I actual have to tell him yes I would like to schedule an appointment and for him to help me. The guy finally tells me I have an appointment the next day (today) between 1-5pm. Wonderful. That's the end of that.

I did some quick manuvering and my boss actually let me off for the appointment time. So I walk up to my door at 12:45 and I find one of those "Sorry, we missed you" doorknob hangers on my door. Grrr, they came by at 10:50am? I call the number on the hanger for "Service/Repair" and according to the automated voice I now have an appointment between 3pm-7pm. Fine, whatever at least I'll be there.

It was fine until I turned the TV on in one of the bedrooms. When they stopped by this morning they "checked outside" (everything looked fine - lol) and now I suddenly I've lost all my channels except for basic cable!!! I'm at least going to let them know that I'm now missing channels for when they come back out later tonight. So, I call up Customer Service and finally get a live person.

According to her, there is no appointment for later today. She claims they called the apartment and someone told them that the cable was working fine now. Unless my little pug dog has suddenly learned to answer the phone and hold a conversation, they are wrong. I let them know that they are mistaken, no one was home this morning or afternoon until I came home. I tell her the appointment time I was given, 1-5pm, (including that I had taken time off in order to be home). She then tells me her records show the appointment was for between 8am-12pm. After being on hold for a minute the customer service lady comes back and tries to tell me that they can't get anyone out here today, is it possible for someone to meet them tomorrow. I explained that I opened the call online and that support tech told me between 1-5pm and since I had taken 4 hours off of work to be here today it was NOT possible to take another 4 hours off in order to try to meet them tomorrow, especially if they don't follow the estimates they give out. After hearing me mention I opened the call online, she put me on hold for another minute. This time when she came back on the line she said they couldn't get a tech out here before 5pm. She didn't give me any time windows, just that it would be after 5pm. Doing my best not to take my frustration out on this poor girl in customer service I told her after 5pm was fine, I would be here.

So now not only is the TV in the living room still not working, I can only watch about 15 channels on the other two TVs. I'm going to go blow up some tanks on BF2 now....

Cliffs:
1. Had trouble with one cable connection in one room
2. Reported the issue to cable company and took off time to meet the tech
3. Cable company screws me (read above for details)
4. Now not only is the original problem not fixed, I lost all channels except basic
5. Venting on ATOT

Ok, I feel better after venting. Anyone esle have some stories about the cable company? Let the bash ensue ;)

Edit: It should be noted that I do not use Comcast for internet access, I use Bellsouth (thank goodness).

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Adelphia gives us free cable TV (not sure if they know about it, though) so we don't care.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Comcast has been pretty lacking in my book in terms of being able to solve problems.

Every 800 pings to yahoo, i get 4 dropped. Its enough to cause me to get booted from CS:S, and Guild Wars. :/

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
crap, good luck

maybe go with Dish?

I'm going to look into the Dish when I move out of here in November. The reason we have Comcast is that the apartment complex has an arrangement with them so we get a good package and only have to cover about $8/month. The rest of it the complex covers. Nothing super as far as the subscription, but at least we had some channels I really enjoyed: Bravo, Comedy Central, Discovery, Animal Planet, USA, etc.

I was debating upgrading to digital cable when I moved (on-demand had me leaning in cable's direction) but with this little episode I've lost alot of confidence in the company.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
LOL.

When we moved we called to have the cable instaled. The whole house was wired so all they really needed to do was turn service on. The cable guy gets here and I walk em out to the box. He then proceeded to cut all the wires and tell me that it would be $20.00 for each one ( 5) to be reconnected .

TOP THAT.

I walked in the house called our local cable company and half an hour later all my cable was connected for free.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Someone else said it... count your blessings since you still have internet at least. :p

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I feel your pain i am now working on month 5 of trying to get the name on the account changed from my name to my fathers. I have dealt with prolly over 20 people and lost service 3 times in different attempts to change the name. I guess the problem lies in the fact that i have their digital voice service. but mostly with comcast one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: DurocShark
At least your cable modem is working!

:thumbsup:

If Comcast had anything to do with it, it probably wouldn't be. We get access through Bellsouth. Comcast internet access really sucked in our area when we were shopping around (5 fairly large apartment complexs on the same road within a very short distance of each other). Never checked them again after that although people have told me they have gotten alot better. Not looking to switch though ;)

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: NissanGurl
At least your cable modem is working!

:thumbsup:

If Comcast had anything to do with it, it probably wouldn't be. We get access through Bellsouth. Comcast internet access really sucked in our area when we were shopping around (5 fairly large apartment complexs on the same road within a very short distance of each other). Never checked them again after that although people have told me they have gotten alot better. Not looking to switch though ;)

So...... You have Comcast just for.... TV?!?!?!?!

:confused:

WHY?!?!?!?! They suck and are expensive!!!!

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Oh btw, I'm still fighting with Comcast some 6 months later over a cable modem that I bought from them. A tech came out and decided the modem was bad and replaced while I wasn't there. I cancelled Comcast not much later because I was still having problems and they want me to either send the modem back or pay $50-something for a modem that I purchased from them already. All because the tech replaced it with a modem that had a leased MAC on it. They can't fix this problem over the phone. Nooo....I've got to go over an hour out of my way to one of their stores so I can hope that I get the problem fixed.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003

So...... You have Comcast just for.... TV?!?!?!?!

:confused:

WHY?!?!?!?! They suck and are expensive!!!!

Yup I only have comcast for TV. I do because it's only $8/month and I get channels I enjoy (Animal Planet, Bravo, Comedy Central, Discovery, etc.). The reason it's only $8/month is thanks to an arrangement my apartment complex has with Comcast.

If I had to pay full price I would definitely NOT have Comcast.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: nutxo
LOL.

When we moved we called to have the cable instaled. The whole house was wired so all they really needed to do was turn service on. The cable guy gets here and I walk em out to the box. He then proceeded to cut all the wires and tell me that it would be $20.00 for each one ( 5) to be reconnected .

TOP THAT.

I walked in the house called our local cable company and half an hour later all my cable was connected for free.

You win...in a way ;)