*NEVER* pump gas while wearing a wool sweater..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle
according to Mythbusters...the key is the getting back into the car

if u notice when she comes back out she doesnt touch any metal...when u open the door and get out and close the door u touch the door and therefor get rid of any charge

That is exactally what i was thinking too.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
She's very cute, and did the right thing. Most people probably woulda pulled the nozzle out and spewed a flaming stream of gas all over.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
there was a funny pin up in the gas station about this and how 100% of the cases were women because only women will get back in the car while pumping gas
hahaha

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: eakers
there was a funny pin up in the gas station about this and how 100% of the cases were women because only women will get back in the car while pumping gas
hahaha

actually, i do that too. i'm lazy, and can't stand for more than 2 minutes. :eek:

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
According to Mythbusters, cell phones were ok. They were never able to get the cell phone to spark any flames.

Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
what about using cellphones. i do that. i think i'll stop though.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
She's very cute, and did the right thing. Most people probably woulda pulled the nozzle out and spewed a flaming stream of gas all over.
Too bad we didn't see that!

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
What I want to know is how all the depraved horn dogs that are calling her cute can tell????

The original vid is too small/low quality to see and I just blew the vid up to 200% and her face is nothing but a blur. You guys need to get out more.

For all you know, that's a skinny man with long hair who likes to dress like a woman.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bunker
What I want to know is how all the depraved horn dogs that are calling her cute can tell????

The original vid is too small/low quality to see and I just blew the vid up to 200% and her face is nothing but a blur. You guys need to get out more.

For all you know, that's a skinny man with long hair who likes to dress like a woman.

Or it could be her:Q

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: bunker

Or it could be her:Q

damn i thought i was the only sicko that would rate her a 10. Other sicko, reveal yourself!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Anyone care to enlighten us with the scientific explanation?

Ummm... It isn't rocket science. :p

And.. Hmm.. I wonder if this type of thing is why pumping your own gas is against the law in Oregon.

She must have filled her tank up. If that would have happened with the tank nearly empty, or perhaps even as less as 2/3rds full.. her tank would have been full of gasoline vapors, and it probably would have blown up. Either that or it would have shot a nice jet of fire out of the tank filler hole. That's what the initial POOF of flames is, but since it was full, that's all it was.

LOL.. and yeah, she did the right thing. Although, while she was trying to put the dispenser nozzel out, the flames still visable in her filler hole sure did make me nervous. :Q

Edit: To all you people wondering why the whole thing didn't just automatically explode like in the movies, just remember that liquid gasoline is not flammable. Only vapors are.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: guyver01
cute maybe... but dumb

if you look closely, she tried to "blow out" the flame from her gas tank.

we all know that blondes do a lot of "blowing" :D

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01
cute maybe... but dumb

if you look closely, she tried to "blow out" the flame from her gas tank.

looks more like she tried to get close enough to pull out the nozzle but had to back off a few times.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

She must have filled her tank up. If that would have happened with the tank nearly empty, or perhaps even as less as 2/3rds full.. her tank would have been full of gasoline vapors, and it probably would have blown up. Either that or it would have shot a nice jet of fire out of the tank filler hole. That's what the initial POOF of flames is, but since it was full, that's all it was.

But would there be enough vapors in a near emptry tank? What about oxygen? The vapors need that too.....

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: Eli

But would there be enough vapors in a near emptry tank? What about oxygen? The vapors need that too.....

Good questions. I'm pretty sure there would be enough vapors in the tank. That's probably going to depend a lot on the current ambient air temperature. Maybe it was also very cold that day. That could help explain the static electricity forming in the first place, too, but it would've hindered the gasolines' burning.

There also would have been oxgen in the tank, since gasoline vapors are heavier than oxygen.

Something else to think about is that there would have been a positive flow of vapors out of the tank, due to displacement from being filled, so that may have effected the flame entering the tank(assuming it had happened when she first got out and started filling, or she only got like 3$ worth of gas and her tank was nearly empty).

It's actually pretty complicated, we've all been exposed to "movie physics" way too much.. heh

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
This was explained on a news program some time ago here. The reason isn't the sweater, per se, and it comes with another interesting factoid: Women are 80% more likely to start a fire at a gas pump than men.

The reason? They tend to get in and out of the car during pumping, like this chick. Men also have more of a tendancy to touch the metal frame of the car before touching the pump, where women touch the nozzle first, causing a spark and igniting the vapors.

Next time be a gentleman and offer to pump. :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wonder if the same thing would have happened if she had leather seats.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSegan
I dont think she was trying to blow it.. she was trying to see if she could pull it out before it went boom....

Freudian slip?

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
why didn't the gas stations fire supression system go off. aren't those things supose to be really sensitive?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
The episode of mythbusters that they did on this was hillarious. Especially when they were mad because they couldn't get their room to explode while all the firemen watched. And then they went back to the lab and he accidently lit his hair on fire doing a static + gas test.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DeathByAnts
Originally posted by: kenshorin
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle
according to Mythbusters...the key is the getting back into the car

if u notice when she comes back out she doesnt touch any metal...when u open the door and get out and close the door u touch the door and therefor get rid of any charge

Just about to say the same thing. Its not the sweater, but she did not ground herself when she got out.

I'm sure it didn't help that she's sitting there messing with her shirt as she's walking back to the pump. :p

These days it is getting difficult to find any metal on vehicles.

Ya, especially with Korean cars.

Too bad her clothes didn't catch on fire.