NetworkProfile ???

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
My son's desktop computer running Windows 8.1 (don't ask!) developed an odd problem. It started having intermittent drops on its wifi network. All other devices on the network remained connected and performed reliably. Oddly, the computer showed the attempted connection as "NetworkProfile~" rather than the SSID used by the router.

Given that all other devices were operating normally, I thought that the Network card might be failing, so I replaced the TP-Link (150Mbps - 2.4 only) with a Rosewill RNX-N600PCE-v2.0 (300Mbps - 2.4/5). I got the expected performance boost connecting through the 5 GHz and the intermittent drops seem to have ceased. So far, so good.

The thing that puzzles me is that rolling over the network strength icon (in the screen lower right corner) properly identifies the network connection as NAME 5GHz, but clicking on it shows the connection as being on "NetworkProfile" (Note, no "~" as before.) It also shows the NAME 2.4Gz channel.

I don't understand why the network channel is not called NAME 5Ghz. Anybody have any idea what's up with this?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My son's desktop computer running Windows 8.1 (don't ask!) developed an odd problem. It started having intermittent drops on its wifi network. All other devices on the network remained connected and performed reliably. Oddly, the computer showed the attempted connection as "NetworkProfile~" rather than the SSID used by the router.

Given that all other devices were operating normally, I thought that the Network card might be failing, so I replaced the TP-Link (150Mbps - 2.4 only) with a Rosewill RNX-N600PCE-v2.0 (300Mbps - 2.4/5). I got the expected performance boost connecting through the 5 GHz and the intermittent drops seem to have ceased. So far, so good.

The thing that puzzles me is that rolling over the network strength icon (in the screen lower right corner) properly identifies the network connection as NAME 5GHz, but clicking on it shows the connection as being on "NetworkProfile" (Note, no "~" as before.) It also shows the NAME 2.4Gz channel.

I don't understand why the network channel is not called NAME 5Ghz. Anybody have any idea what's up with this?

In Windows 7, it was easy to fix (though finding the option was extremely unintuitive).

1. Go to "Network and Sharing Center"

2. Click the icon.

2016-07-29_win7_network_profile_name.png

Windows 8 and Windows 10 are stupid about it. Last I checked, there was no way to change it by clicking around in a graphical user interface. I had to edit the registry to fix the name of the network profile on my own system.

Windows was still using the WiFi SSID as the name for the network profile for my home network, even after I had switched back to a wired LAN connection. I had to edit the registry to fix that annoying / confusing cosmetic problem. I just changed it to "Home" -- because that generic name is appropriate whether I'm on WiFi or wireless and doesn't cause confusion.

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
Thanks, Ichinisan. I poked around the registry per option 1 in the tenforums post, but the pathway to the promised land must be different.

I'm thinking that, as it is pretty much a cosmetic problem, I'm going to blow it off. Minus ten points, make that minus 8.1 points, for aesthetics.