Networking people needed

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I would go as high on the FSB and if needbe knock the multiplier down, because Seti loves high FSB and RAM speeds :)

This is even more so in the smaller L2 cached Durons :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
As higher a FSB as you can with the lowest latency RAm timings as possible is the best for SETI:) ,set multiplier to achieve your desired cpu speed.

As long as you don't seriously increase the CPU vcore(over 10%) & you have decent cooling then your CPU should last for years :) .
I still have a Cel 366@550 running :) ,it was running SETI 24/7 for about 2yrs ,its over 3yrs old now,& is in my sons rig which he plays games on.
To play it safe you could just stick to the max cpu speed which doesnt need any cpu vcore increase

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
When I overclock Tunderbirds and durons, I overvolt to 1.85v and no higher. This is the max spec for these CPU's.

Then I increase the multiplier till I hit the max MHZ the CPU can deliver. Then I go back and lower the mult and raise the FSB till I hit the cieling of the ram and mobo, aiming for the max MHZ I hit earlier. Then I knock it down 2-3 MHZ and leave it there :)

I have been doing this for a while, and have only killed one CPU out of probably 20 or so overclocking attempts, and that one was because the molex from the floppy got stuck in the CPU fan when I was away. That was one Dead CPU :D

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Well Evadman, I went and tried what you said to do. I set the Vcore to 1.85, and increased the multiplier. I made it to 900 mhz, like I already had with the FSB, and tried for 1ghz and the computer wouldn't do anything. So I reset the CMOS and set it back to 900 mhz. It boots fine and everything, but somehow I lost my SETI progress on that computer and SETI wont start another work unit. Is this related at all to what I did? I knocked it back down to 800 mhz and still no go. I'm not sure what to do to get SETI working again.

HELP!!!! :Q:(

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Hrm, sounds like something bad (weird) happened there :(

Best bet is to delete all the files (apart from the Seti CLI and SetiDriver - assuming you are using SD ;)) and start again. Sometimes that's just quicker than trying to troubleshoot a seti install.

I hope that works and Seti gets working again :)

Confused

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
If I remember correctly you may only need to delete the State.sah file. Re-name it or something and give that a try. I believe the program will make a new file when you re-fire it up and continue on.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This usually happens when one of the WU folders (the numbered ones created by SETIDriver) get corrupt somehow....I usually find it easier (and much faster) to delete them and restart SETIDriver. You can look at each folder and see what one has the latest date/time (most recent) and delete that one...but it may take more time than it's worth...and if you do delete them, Berekey will reissue them at some point in time anyway.

Good Luck.....

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I think the problem was when I cleared my CMOS it reset the date back to 1999. Of course, I didn't figure this out until I deleted all the WU's I had downloaded :( The one processing would have been done shortly too.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: LyNx01
I think the problem was when I cleared my CMOS it reset the date back to 1999. Of course, I didn't figure this out until I deleted all the WU's I had downloaded :( The one processing would have been done shortly too.

DOH!! Well at least you (and us all!) learned a lesson today :) Make sure you check the date in BIOS if you reset it after a bad O/C attempt! I for one will definately remember that now! Sorry that you lost a WU over it tho :(

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You are absolutely correct...and I don't know why I didn't remember it! :(

Are the WU's folders still in your Recycle Bin? If so..restore them! (Shut down SETIDriver first....then restore...then restart!)

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Glad I happened to look in the recycle bin :) I restored the work units and i'm back at where I was. I thought of it just as the new work units got done downloading.

Good lesson for all of us and no lost WU's :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Just when I thought everything was resolved I discovered a new problem. Two of my three computers have no modem, so I share my dial up connection with a cable/dsl router. It's not fast, but it serves it's purpose.

Yesterday after my SETI issue from clearing the cmos, neither of the two computers can access the internet through my main rig anymore. I can still browse the network and share files, but no internet. If that isn't strange enough, if I plug in my P133 that is running on an old 10mbps NIC, I can do both, files and internet. I know it's not the cables, because I used the same cable for the P133 as I did for the duron.

Could a NIC go bad and only allow file sharing? Both NIC's in these two rigs are the Belkin NIC's that everyone got so cheap ( my friend bought a ton of them). I'm no networking guru, it took me forever to get what I have working, but if someone knows what is wrong it would be greatly appreciated because I have 6 work units stuck on these three computers, and I really don't want to take my modem out and put it in each one and dial up to transmit.

Brett

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
That's common for Windows to lose it's brains like that. Write down all your settings, delete and remove your NICs, re-fire without them and then shut down and re-install the NICs. 9 or more out of 10 times it all will come back and start working without even having to fiddle with all the settings again.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
That's common for Windows to lose it's brains like that. Write down all your settings, delete and remove your NICs, re-fire without them and then shut down and re-install the NICs. 9 or more out of 10 times it all will come back and start working without even having to fiddle with all the settings again.

Yup -that's the place to start :D (done it a million times
rolleye.gif
)

CADkindaGUY

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
You guys are the best :D It never fails. The Duron fixed itself, literally. I have no idea how, right before I went to work I was fiddling with the network cable and when I tried for the last time it worked. I don't think there was anything wrong with the network cable because it worked on the other computer I plugged it into.

On my parents computer I just removed the NIC from device manager, reinstalled it, and presto. It works again. Thanks a bunch.

Brett

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
<FONT size=1>> Yup -that's the place to start (done it a million times
rolleye.gif
).
</FONT>
<FONT size=1>> On my parents computer I just removed the NIC from device manager, reinstalled it, and presto. It works again. Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome :)
</FONT>
The challenge is trying to teach such a quirky thing to students when terms like "Windows loses it's brains" is not really in any book anywhere.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I have an XP1600+ that I unlocked & overclocked to 1789Mhz v(XP2200 territory)
I run distributed folding on that machine. When I have it clocked to it's max stable FSB (143Mhz), I notice that the folding client shut's it's self down after a while, for no reason. I suspect it has something to do with stability, since no one else was here to use the machine.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Awesome overclock!:Q:D
Afraid I don't run DF, but have you tried it at a lower clock rate or higher cpu vcore?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
yeah, I bumped it down to 1666Mhz (133FSBx12.5multiplier) and it seems to be doing better

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
AH, just for kicks, I upgraded to the latest bios on my A7N266e mobo. Now, with my unlocked 1600+, I'm running 150FSB x 12.5 = ~1879Mhz!!
greater than XP2200 speeds out of a $52 chip...I LOVE IT!

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I got one! :p BUT, it isn't unlocked :(

they are a pain to unlock :(

sorry I caused you trouble man :(