Networking hub. Does no one sell them anymore?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alfa147x, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

Never did the exam but I did go through the curriculum. Unless the one they go by in Cisco Academy is different or maybe it changed. I want to eventually look at getting the certs but I'm in no hurry. They expire, so it only makes sense to take them if I see myself looking for another job within 3 years.

2. Danimal1209

Danimal1209 Senior member

I'm almost done with a BS in Network Security Engineering. I never read anything about a thinnet or thicknet. Prof says we could pass the CCNA easily, so I don't know if that is part of the current curriculum.

3. ScottMac

ScottMac Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member

Find out when your prof took the test last. Today's CCNA is tougher than the CCNP used to be ... far less memorization and heavily weighted toward the SIMs and questions that require some thought.

4. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

That's actually nice to hear. The memorization stuff is what is hard. It makes more sense to test on actual knowledge than a bunch of memorized lists and stuff. Does it have any hands on stuff as well? If they gave a bunch of routers and switches and said "do this" it would totally be awesome. To me that's how it SHOULD be.

5. ScottMac

ScottMac Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member

It's an emulated setup, using whatever devices they are asking about. You get virtual console (ala telnet) access to each device, and a list of goals to achieve, or some troubleshooting problem. The "help" / question mark is active, but doesn't list all commands, and offers some bogus choices that look good to the unfamiliar admin.
    There's often an addressing issue or problem integrated. There are usually some switching SIMs to set up STP, VLANs, access vs trunk ports, channel bonding, etc.

There are still lots of memorization (which don't have to be memorization if you know the equipment and protocols), and there's still some questions that require the "Cisco Way" of doing things.

It's a fairly challenging test. Unless you're an old hand at Cisco stuff, IMO, you'd be foolish to take it lightly.