Network set up

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
Can I set up a network as
line->pc->router-> devices, instead of line->router->pc and devices?
I have an onboard ethernet port and another ethernet card.
thanks

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
you could, but why would you want to? A router is the best bang for buck protection your PC can have.

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
because I want to be part of a group of totally unique nonconformists.
how would I go about with the line-pc-router set?
Thanks for the reply

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Sure, you can, but this entails double Routing.

ICS between the Modem and the Router, and the Router there after.

Double Routing is Not the prescription for healthy Network.

May be you want to explain why in technological terms?

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
I don't know anything in technological terms, but I have to disconnect the ethernet line from my router and connect it to my computer if I want to relogin to my school's network. Thereafter, I can reconnect it as line->router->pc and devices, until it asks me to relogin, which is usually after a day or two.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It probably can be easly solved by asking the school's IT how they authenticate.

However if they Do Not allow Routers they would not help you.

noreaga0221

Feb 7, 2007
Are these wireless devices? How about using a level1 or lever2 device? Or turn the dhcp off on the router then hook it up to your comp.

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
thanks for the help
i now feel like a big man!
the only problem is that I can't 192 168 1 1 the router anymore because it don't respond. I could when it was connected to one of the four outgoing ports, but after using network setup wizard, it no allows me to get to the router settings. devices connected to the router can get to the internet though
thanks

noreaga0221

Feb 7, 2007
IF the router is connected to you and not the other way around then I don't think you will be able to do that.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: mzzmuaa
thanks for the help
i now feel like a big man!
the only problem is that I can't 192 168 1 1 the router anymore because it don't respond. I could when it was connected to one of the four outgoing ports, but after using network setup wizard, it no allows me to get to the router settings. devices connected to the router can get to the internet though
thanks

Hey, now that your router doesn't work, you really are a nonconformist!

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
considering I incorrectly hooked up my router and live in america, as an american, I'd have to say I'm conforming... ;(
I can access the router's setup while disabling the microsoft network setup, but can't when I use the setup to access internet for router devices

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Can someone in this post please explain what the OP is actually trying to accomplish here (other than probably violating his school's TOS)??

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: kevnich2
Can someone in this post please explain what the OP is actually trying to accomplish here (other than probably violating his school's TOS)??
I do not know what this specific OP looks for, and the following is Not directed toward him.

However, while we are on the topic.

I think that the uniform position of Not aiding in TOS and similar violation that is kept by almost all of the top Network Forums on the Internet is becoming more and more noticed by users. As a Result, you see more and more, "crafty" ways to ask such questions with the intend to mask the real intentions of the Posters.

I personally try to force myself getting into a habit of directly asking for the functional purpose of questions that I am suspecting leading to Mischief usage.

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mzzmuaa
It is to violate school TOS, and thanks for helping me accomplish that, jack.
one can only hope your school discovers this abuse and revokes your internet privileges...

after that, i would expect you to create another username and further request assistance on circumventing network security.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
they will...it's not that hard to track down a router on the network, even easier if it's wireless.

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
They've had four months to do it, and now they only have three left.
Do you want to place a bet?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
So you are successfully conning your school network system.

WOW, what an achievnt in life, may be it should go into Ripley Believe it or Not.

mzzmuaa

Dec 3, 2006
I told my parents and they are very proud of me.
I always knew I was special, just like mommy and my third grade teacher told me.
Are you jealous?