Network External HDDs (or NAS)

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I want a ~2TB NAS, just for photo/video backup.

I see there are a few different consumer grade external HDDs that have Wifi/ethernet port.
(Seagate Satellite, WD My Cloud, etc)

Does anyone have one and/or a recommendation?
Can they be mounted as a network drive in Windows?
Do they spin 24/7 or only when accessed?

These companies always have some software that comes with them.
I just want it to be a dumb mappable network drive.

They seem a lot more expensive than a dumb USB drive though. ($120 min. versus $75)

Last edited:

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
I suggest Synology at the high end, and a basic Iomega IX2/DL on the low end ($80 if you shop around). They'll do exactly what you want - dumb mapped drive, no software required.

Some Synology boxes have wake on LAN which would do the obvious, if you need it, but I wouldn't make a purchase decision on it if you're paying standard (dirt cheap) electrical rates in the USA.

A significant advantage of the Synology is a far better UI / OS, and the ability to run software packages (software applications) like Sickbeard, SABNZBd, etc.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Those look cool, as you could swap in hard drives as needed for future expansion and/or if one got full.
I was more worried about hdd life if they are spinning 24/7. I guess they would spin down while not being accessed. I don't care about energy usage.

SeanFL

Oct 13, 2005
Another vote for Synology. Have been very happy with them over the years. Started with a ds106e and now have a ds-212. With the newer units the speeds on a gigabit network are fantastic. Look at a ds-214.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
If yiubhave spare hardware and so.e time, head to xpenology. They have rewrapped the synology software for use on off the shelf hardware. My hakf hearted attempt on an old Intel ss4200 keeps maxing out the CPU, but there are fixes. About half the price of a synology box.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Agreed.... Just grab a Synology -- I suggest a generation or two old if you want to save money - and you're done. I'm using a 211 and a 411 for a repository for ESXi NFS and for movies and tv, running sick beard and sabnzbd to get content.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
Another vote for Synology. Have been very happy with them over the years. Started with a ds106e and now have a ds-212. With the newer units the speeds on a gigabit network are fantastic. Look at a ds-214.

I love my DS214. :D

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I bought a WD My Cloud 2TB for $140.
I like it so far. Super easy to setup.
I couldn't access it remotely once, so I had to reboot the HDD the other day.
My internet connection at home is flaky so I figured that's why.

Nice slick interface from a PC, web or phone app.
I can access all my pics, docs, etc from my phone now.
The app also allows you to remotely upload docs or pics from your phone.