network engineering or software engineering

hcy6463

Sep 14, 2007
hi

i am wondering which career has a better outcome? network engineering or software engineering? in terms of outsourcing and massive h1bs, which one do you guys think is safer??

the reason i am asking this is because i am in the middle of making the decision on which career to go for. thanks

melchoir

Nov 3, 2002
Typically more money in development. Honest answer? Become a DBA. They make silly money compared to Devs/Engineers.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
"Software engineer" = real engineer

"Network engineer" = the guy who debugs your DHCP settings?

(This from a guy who graduated from Computer Engineering... and has never heard of a "network engineering" program)

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Alphathree33

(This from a guy who graduated from Computer Engineering... and has never heard of a "network engineering" program)

I'd agree with that.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
H1Bs are luck these days. Even tho you find a job that will sponsor you would need some luck to get it the first year, trust me. My company is willing to sponsor H1B and Green Card but the visa cap was reached 1 day after they started accepting apps.
So I would take teh H1B out of the question.

Computer Engineer makes it hard to get a job out of college, because all decent jobs require experience which you won't have.So perhaps Network Engineering.

Best Luck

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

"Network Administrator" = the guy who debugs your DHCP settings?

fixed. I would consider anyone with a ccnp or higher a real "network engineer".

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Completely different things... They shouldn't really even be in the same list together. Do what you enjoy.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Tizyler
Completely different things... They shouldn't really even be in the same list together. Do what you enjoy.

This is the truth. You say you are worried about future job security based on the industry you choose to become a professional in, but the truth is that there isn't anything which will prove to be the safer route in the future. While people speculate about this subject a lot using solid facts, no one really knows how the technology world is going to change in the next 20 years. Even the best of us get surprised by the advancement and rapid changes on a regular basis. In the end, you will have to adjust as the industry adjusts. There is no other way.

If you choose the path which you enjoy the most, then your daily life will most likely be happier. In the end, that is all that matters.

Oh, and don't worry about the money aspect. There are plenty of ways to make the big bucks in both industries. It all depends on how much time and effort you devout to focusing on your career.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005

That would be a network administrator. The network engineer is the guy who works on network infrastructure and switch/router configuration.