Network adapters work in Ubuntu, not in Windows

bfromcolo

Jan 12, 2012
I have been wrestling with this for 2 days, after replacing my FX6300 with a FX8320.

I have a Rosewill RNX-G300LX wireless card, Realtek RT61 Turbo Wireless in device manager. I have had this card for months, it started connecting to the LAN but hung "identifying" and never resolved the IP, specifying the IP/DNS manually also did not resolve the issue.

Over the past 48 hours I have -
- tried multiple drivers,
- tried another wireless card
- tried a different PCI slot
- when to all stock settings on CPU and GPU
- updated my BIOS
- tried going back to the 6300
- and I have just completed a full Windows reinstall and loaded all updates

It now intermittently does not even see the network, much less connect to it.

But if I boot off a Ubuntu Live CD wireless networking works perfectly, so I don't think I have a hardware issue.

I can also use a USB Wifi adapter under Windows and am able to connect fine. That's how I loaded the Windows updates after re-install and how I am posting this now.

Hopefully someone smarter than me can unravel this mess?

Thanks

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What version of Windows are you running?

Are you using the driver HERE

make sure you're using the latest driver.

Last edited:

bfromcolo

Jan 12, 2012
What version of Windows are you running?

Are you using the driver HERE

make sure you're using the latest driver.

Thanks for responding.

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium and that is one of the drivers I have tried. In fact I deleted that driver and rebooted and it came up working on an older driver, but the next reboot it was hosed up again despite me not changing anything.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Thanks for responding.

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium and that is one of the drivers I have tried. In fact I deleted that driver and rebooted and it came up working on an older driver, but the next reboot it was hosed up again despite me not changing anything.

Got another PC running windows to try it in?

bfromcolo

Jan 12, 2012
Just to update this issue, the problem started happening in Ubuntu as well, both the wifi cards and USB adapter work fine in other systems and only intermittently in this one. I installed an older processor, a PII 840 and wireless networking works fine now, and has survived several reboots with out problem. So I guess the issue is the new 8320 I purchased Friday. But I can't recall seeing an issue where a processor seemed to be working fine except for wireless networking. I have tried numerous versions of the AMD chipset drivers, both from AMD and ASUS (motherboard) without fixing this. It used to work fine with a 6300, so I dont think Vishera drivers are the issue anyway.

I hope the Denver MC still has these things in stock, and I can't wait to see the crowds up there this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will be watching Broncos.

bfromcolo

Jan 12, 2012
LOL, I reboot again after getting all the covers back on and it's happened again. There is nothing left but the motherboard. I have tried multiple processors, power supplies, operating systems, network PCI and USB adapters, BIOS versions, driver versions, chip set drivers. This has got to have been the most frustrating past few days with my computer that I can remember.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Frustrating, to say the least. Seems you have a good handle on what is more than likely the issue. Don't rule out your Power Supply though, that is a commonly overlooked source of intermittent problems.

Do you have good, clean power to your computer?
Are you using any type of UPS?

bfromcolo

Jan 12, 2012
Frustrating, to say the least. Seems you have a good handle on what is more than likely the issue. Don't rule out your Power Supply though, that is a commonly overlooked source of intermittent problems.

Do you have good, clean power to your computer?
Are you using any type of UPS?

I tried 2 power supplies, the inexpensive CX430 the system has been using for over a year, and a much better new XFX PRO550W. I was suspicious just because HW monitor was reporting 3.118v on the 3.3v. But it shows 3.28 in BIOS so the issue is probably HW monitor. Both readings were the same with both power supplies.

As for clean power, I assume so but I have not done anything to verify. I live in the US and don't know of any issues related to the power coming into the house. I do have a surge protector.

I got a RMA number from ASUS, so I need to package it up. They warned that if it doesn't fail on their bench they'll just send it back NTF.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You've tried enough, I think the new mobo will help. Hope Asus finds something wrong with it.

If you wanna get all geeky, you can break out the old multimeter and test some PSU connections while it's running :)