Netgear R7000 router can't forward port 1194

misternumberone

Mar 4, 2014
Hi, I'm running a private OpenVPN server on my local network on port 1194 under my Netgear R7000 with firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 (latest as of this post), and I need to open this port and forward it to my server to access it with an OpenVPN client, but when I login to my router's web configuration page and select ADVANCED->Advanced Setup->Port Forwarding/Port Triggering->Add Custom Service and input the local (static) IP of my server along with the port 1194 on both sides with both TCP and UDP and something in "Service Name" and click Apply, it gives this error message:

"The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type."

It does not do this for any other port that I have tried to forward. None of these services report to be using this port, nor does the built-in VPN server, which is disabled, along with, in fact, most of the aforementioned. I was previously using firmware V1.0.2.94, upon which I tried this, and which did exactly the same thing; updating changed nothing. I've also reset the router to factory settings with the complicated reset button wizardry necessary, to no avail. I don't want to use a different port for my VPN, as OpenVPN is designed for this port and it would be difficult to change; especially it would cause server downtime, which I don't want if I don't need. Furthermore, I'd think avoiding the issue is not a good way of solving it; this port, I believe, has no good reason to be mysteriously clogged beyond the point of practically existing.

Could someone help prevent this thread from being just another unsolved disappointment? Or perhaps someone just knows how I can fix this? At this point I've asked on several forums with no success.

CubanlB

Oct 24, 2003
Did you try just UDP?

:cool:

Agreed, only UDP should be required for OpenVPN unless you had some reason to change it to a TCP configuration. (I wouldn't)

Change the port in your server.conf on the OpenVPN server if you can't seem to get past this issue. I use port 443 and very few places restrict 443 out of their network (even if its UDP).

misternumberone

Mar 4, 2014
Agreed, only UDP should be required for OpenVPN unless you had some reason to change it to a TCP configuration. (I wouldn't)

Change the port in your server.conf on the OpenVPN server if you can't seem to get past this issue. I use port 443 and very few places restrict 443 out of their network (even if its UDP).
I tried that, it did not change; if I have to change the port, do you think that's all it will take? I'll have to modify my clients' config files as well, right?

CubanlB

Oct 24, 2003
The R7000 has an OpenVPN server that it runs! That makes sense why its telling you this port is already forwarded. It's forwarded to a virtual interface in the router.

No, I don't think you will be able to forward this port if the port forward is already hard coded into the router config.

catmur

Apr 19, 2014
misternumberone, I've seen your post on other sites, and feel your pain. Searching around the internet has led to many people forgetting the question and suggesting alternative paths. I'm on a support call with Netgear at the moment, to see if they can resolve this definitively ... but don't hold your breath

Hi, I'm running a private OpenVPN server on my local network on port 1194 under my Netgear R7000 with firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 (latest as of this post), and I need to open this port and forward it to my server to access it with an OpenVPN client, but when I login to my router's web configuration page and select ADVANCED->Advanced Setup->Port Forwarding/Port Triggering->Add Custom Service and input the local (static) IP of my server along with the port 1194 on both sides with both TCP and UDP and something in "Service Name" and click Apply, it gives this error message:

"The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type."

It does not do this for any other port that I have tried to forward. None of these services report to be using this port, nor does the built-in VPN server, which is disabled, along with, in fact, most of the aforementioned. I was previously using firmware V1.0.2.94, upon which I tried this, and which did exactly the same thing; updating changed nothing. I've also reset the router to factory settings with the complicated reset button wizardry necessary, to no avail. I don't want to use a different port for my VPN, as OpenVPN is designed for this port and it would be difficult to change; especially it would cause server downtime, which I don't want if I don't need. Furthermore, I'd think avoiding the issue is not a good way of solving it; this port, I believe, has no good reason to be mysteriously clogged beyond the point of practically existing.

Could someone help prevent this thread from being just another unsolved disappointment? Or perhaps someone just knows how I can fix this? At this point I've asked on several forums with no success.

catmur

Apr 19, 2014
NetGear response so far:

Thank you for responding.

Based on the error that you got, I apologize that port # 1194 has been already used by most of the advanced core functions of the router. Changing that port may mess up the functionality of your unit. I suggest that you dedicate another generic port number for that LAN host instead using UDP port 1194.

Hoping to get more specific information from them, as this was as useful as a chocolate teapot. If OpenVPN isn't running on the R7000 it *should* (theoretically) be available for port forwarding (unless they have some other undocumented service binding that port).
Pushing Netgear to support this in future firmware release if it can't be resolved on the current version (V1.0.3.24_1.1.20). Others should do the same if they haven't already raised the issue on the Netgear Support Site http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

catmur

Apr 19, 2014
Boohoo :-(. To be expected, but still a shame - final response from Netgear. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least it's more declarative
1.) Is 1194 UDP a reserved port on the R7000 that, with the current firmware, and cannot be port forwarded to a LAN/DMZ address?
Answer : Yes. The TCP/UDP port 1194 is a reserved port for the built-in OpenVPN client of the R7000. Hence, causing the specific error message that you are seeing.

2.) Is this likely to be changed in future firmware?
Answer : No. The TCP/UDP 1194 will remain as the official port for OpenVPN service on the R7000.

catmur

Apr 19, 2014
So, quick update... Support were as useful as a box of chocolates, but I spoke with the Netgear Product management team and this has now been recognised as a Firmware bug!

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your feedback on the R7000 port forwarding function and the error messages. The port 1194 is actually NOT used by any service, and it should not be reserved. It’s a firmware bug that we will correct it soon. We’re sorry for the confuse.[/FONT]
Quote from YiFan Chen from Netgear

Last edited: