Netgear LB1120 different bands

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
I got att 4g lte internet for the house I live a black hole or where technology goes to die. I got it couple weeks ago everything is fine the modem connects speeds are 20 by 8 most of the time on band 12 it's like Paradise out in the cornfields. Now here is my issue when I try to play h1z1 dayz and such the modem switch's right to band 5 slow and ugly connection.
I need help some why to telnet or something to it and block it from going to band 5 I was really hoping one of you ladies or gentleman can help me with it.

Because I have no other alternatives for internet other that satellite and that's just depressing.

Thanks

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
4G LTE. Place the receiver where you can get the best signal and when playing online games, wire it up. Yes, the 'best' signal can drift throughout the day. Oh well.

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
Signal is great 4 bars speed is great never goes to band 5 on voice streaming surfing the internet or anything just as soon as I launch a fps game on steam the modem switch's to band 5 from band 12 it's something that's in the modem settings but I can not edit it. I thought if someone knows how to telnet to it and show me how I can block band 5 so it won't go to it cause band 12 is great signal and speed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds like Band bait-and-switch, LOL.

Anyways, can you get a:
1) real router, to handle Wifi traffic and your LAN
2) a travel router as a bridge, to the MiFi
3) an AC-powered USB charging hub, to power the MiFi

I had that setup, it wasn't bad, although I could only get 2Mbit/sec out of the MiFi, for some reason. (Sprint towers are really overloaded here.)

The idea is to reduce the load on the MiFi, by bridging it using the travel router, to an ethernet port, and then plug it into the WAN port of a "real" (dual-band AC Gigabit router). And to power it 24x7, get a USB charging hub, that has 2.1A ports, the 1.0A ports don't seem to work as well.

Some newer "real" routers, with newer firmware and USB ports, CAN directly use a USB-connected MiFi as a "backup" WAN device.

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
Not sure what you mean about real router? I have a Asus AC3200 it's a really good router. I have a problem with the Sim modem switching bands on me only when I can everything else runs great and never switch's.
So I was just trying to lock the modem down and take band five off the list some how so it doesn't do it. To me it sounds like a bug in Netgears modem but they haven't help any.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
It sounds like the OP is convinced of his/her solution of forcing a band through Telnet and won't budge. Let us know how it works for you.

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
That's not it, I wanted just let her know I had a what I think was a decent router handling the traffic off the modem. I didn't think my was a MiFi more as a modem not hotspot could be wrong but that's what I thought I had.

I have been out of networks for some time now and we used to be able to go in a edit the ranges and even the the bands.

Funny part is on Netgears website the modem don't even support band 5 so not sure what's going on.

Maybe I'll take her advice and get that new netgear MiFi devise just wanted to make sure it don't do that to hate to waste 200 bucks.

Thanks

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
Well I just tried something I have a mimo antenna plugged into it and I unplugged the antenna and it stayed connected to band 12.
I think it put it out of range by unplugging that antenna for band 5
Only downfall to that is speeds go from 20/8 to 2/1 so maybe thats what I'll have to do when I want to play a game.

It's weird it only does it when I play a fps game maybe something to do with voice in game, and kicks it if available.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well I just tried something I have a mimo antenna plugged into it and I unplugged the antenna and it stayed connected to band 12.
I think it put it out of range by unplugging that antenna for band 5
Only downfall to that is speeds go from 20/8 to 2/1 so maybe thats what I'll have to do when I want to play a game.

It's weird it only does it when I play a fps game maybe something to do with voice in game, and kicks it if available.
I still don't understand what the issue really is? Band 5 has "cooties" or something?

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
Lol to funny, why yes it does :)

Band 12
Speed 20/8 during the day
Speed 45/20 during the night
Link quality of line 78%
Ping 25
Jitter 3

Band 5
Speed during any time .5 Meg if that
Link quality of line 18