NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, Desktop, Internet Splitter, Sturdy Metal, Fanless, Plug-and-Play......$12.99 w/fs

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833122610?Description=GS308&cm_re=GS308-_-33-122-610-_-Product

• PLUG-AND-PLAY - Simple set up with no software or configuration needed
  • INTERNET SPLITTER - Connectivity to your router or modem for additional wired connections (laptop, gaming console, printer, etc)
  • STURDY METAL CASE - Small, sturdy desktop metal case and fanless quiet operation
  • Easy-Monitoring - Per port LEDs for port activity and speed
  • Gigabit Ethernet - 8 auto-sensing 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports with up to 16Gb non-blocking switching

On sale for $17.99 - Promo Code: EMCTBVE22 = $12.99 w/free shipping.

Good solid 8-Port Gigabit switch for the cheapest i've seen the metal one go for. :)

Reactions: Replay

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And to think that I "stocked up" on these, when they hit about $22 ea., thinking that they were a good deal.

$12.99 for a Netgear metal-cased 8-port gigabit switch is a relative "steal". Too bad they're sold out, at this point. Not that I need any more, mind you. I still have TrendNet plastic 8-port "Green" Gigabit ethernet switches that I picked up for like ~$10 or so some time ago. And now I'm looking at faster. I should unload them, before gigabit switches become like 10/100 switches. (Got a bunch of those, too, I think 16 or 24-port, for like $5.99 ea. Totally useless~!)

Edit: TrendNet has an 8-port 2.5GbE / multi-gig ethernet switch, I think "Smart Web" / "managed", for like $330. The price gap between 1GbE (cheap as dirt), and 2.5GbE (still pricey for what it is, more than half the price of a full 8-port 10GbE-T / multi-gig switch, which Amazon.com has for ~$500), is way too much.

We really need 8-port 2.5GbE switches for like $100-120. That would make sense to me. Maybe in six months we will. 2.5GbE PCI-E x1 adapter cards, from I/O Crest (Syba?), are on Amazon.com for $29.99, and ebay for cheaper. So if the NICs cost 3x what a 1GbE NIC costs, why do the switches cost 15x as much?

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Good find, but it's already sold out. :(

Edit: Beat me to it. :D

2.5Gb just isn't coming down in price yet. I think once motherboard makers have them as standard, then we'll see demand increase to the point where supply will be produced in quantity that will drive prices down.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
2.5Gb just isn't coming down in price yet. I think once motherboard makers have them as standard, then we'll see demand increase to the point where supply will be produced in quantity that will drive prices down.
Yeah, I agree. ASRock has taken steps in that direction, they advertise their "Phantom Gaming" (Intel) series motherboards as having 2.5GbE (RealTek chipset). EXCEPT for their cheaper "Extreme4" board model, which is probably one of the most popular, not the least because it's cheaper than the others. Which I suppose that it would be, if it left off a $20-30 2.5GbE NIC chipset.

I'm really looking forward to updating my LAN as soon as I can, but maybe I'm jumping the gun, not waiting for switch prices to come down. I just want faster backups, and bulk file transfers over my LAN.

Power adapter (48V DC, 1.25A; plug is localized for country of sale)
That can't be right, can it? That's like, over 50W? No-way that switch takes that much power.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I just want faster backups, and bulk file transfers over my LAN.

That can't be right, can it? That's like, over 50W? No-way that switch takes that much power.
There's creative ways to increase speeds across the network by creative ip addressing and segmenting. Like if you know your systems can transfer faster than 1G, just add a second card and have a second static IP address on each system on a different subnet. When you want to do bulk file transfers, use that IP and the traffic will be completely off your main network. And the cost for this will basically just be the cables and nics and a cheap gigabit switch if you need additional ports. ;) See what I did there? :D

Yeah, that's probably the power supply for a POE switch. I know my basic 8 port metal ones use a 12v.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Their guide states 1A @ 12V:
Yeah, that's a lot more reasonable. Makes sense that that spec I quoted (from Newegg's Overview section) was mistakenly copied from a POE switch.

Edit: Oh, and LOL at "internet splitter". I mean, yeah, it does, but you need a router first, too.

Last edited: