Netflix

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
So tell me the dirt...
Pro's/Con's...
Which subscription is best...
How is the selection... is there better...
Are there better subscription services...

Personally, the 2 movies a time unlimited looks sweet. I have been thinking about getting my gf a subscription. She blows through movies like crazy. Is it worth it without owning a DVD-burner? Tell me what you think... whatever it may be... I have only known two subscribers... one absolutely loved it for more than a year until he decided to switch over solely to the videogame service (running two services was too much) and the other hated it (thought it cost too much and imo didnt really use the service often enough)

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i love netflix.

pros
good selection of movies
cost isn't bad
turnaround time when they recognize they have a movie from you is good

cons
throttling. they receive a movie from you and sometimes don't log it for 3+ days.

i have a burner and used to copy some of the movies that i liked. it became too much of a hassle so if i really like something i just buy it or re-rent it.

Nov 5, 2001
I've been a member for going on 4 years. Never been throttled, despite some stretches where I've given them every reason to. Love it. I have the 3 out plan.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I like Netflix for shipping fast. Mind you, I had a two out at a time subscription and I'd go through four movies a week so I never got throttled. However, I now have Blockbuster. This is sweet. Basically, I have the three movies out plan. I returned all three Sunday evening at Blockbuster and took three more movies home. I'm now expecting three movies on Tuesday, also. This is why Blockbuster's plan rules.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
I love it/

I can mail back a movie on Monday and have a replacement on Wednesday.

I have only ever had 1 bad disc and I've had this service for 4 years, 3 at a time plan.

Only twice has a movie I returned had to be reported as lost.

Only downside is the waits on new releases. Your best best is to time it so they receive a movie from you the day before it is released.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Got 300 shipped out to me about 3 days after release, not bad.
Movies get shipped out the day after I drop them in the mail and arrive the day after they ship (3 day full turn around).

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I like Netflix for shipping fast. Mind you, I had a two out at a time subscription and I'd go through four movies a week so I never got throttled. However, I now have Blockbuster. This is sweet. Basically, I have the three movies out plan. I returned all three Sunday evening at Blockbuster and took three more movies home. I'm now expecting three movies on Tuesday, also. This is why Blockbuster's plan rules.

but OP cannot get that, since BB went evil and changed plans for newcomers. So it doens't really matter.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i like it.

you get the occasional scratched or broken in half disc, but its gonna happen when millions of people are renting and they are going through the regular mail in a paper enveleope.

i have the 3 out at a time plan. they have a huge selection of everything.

i've had it for maybe a year, maybe less, not sure exactly. its usually 2-3 days from the day i mail one back to get another one.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Netflix is awesome. They handle missing/damaged discs great. Right now my wife is on the 1 disc at a time plan because I'm deployed. Last month they sent an email to LOWER the price of that teir. Granted, its only $1, but who lowers their prices? I hate Blockbuster as a company.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I've been a member for about 2 years. I switch anywhere between the 1 at a time to 4 at time (depending on how busy I am). They make it really easy to change plans. If you want more out at a time, you can change at any time and just pay a prorated amount. To decrease your plan, you can request the decrease at any time and it will take effect your next billing period. There isn't much reason to worry too much about what plan to choose, because you can change it easily.

I have been throttled before, but it doesn't bother me too much as I typically watch movies on the weekend and even when throttled, I get the movies by the next weekend.

I can't think of a time when I've searched for a movie they didn't have in their database. Even if they don't stock a movie they have it in their database, and you can save it in your queue and when they do stock it, it will be added to your queue automatically. For example, I've had the Bourne Ultimatum saved for probably 6 months, even though it's a long way away from being released on DVD. 1984 is the only movie actually out on DVD that I want that they don't stock.

I've had a great experience with Netflix.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I've been renting from them since 1999 (per-movie charge days).

Selection is excellent: almost every US release in print, including tv shows and all blu-ray movies (see the PS3 for $350 deal in Consoles).

Turn-around time is 2 days for me for movies mailed Monday-Thursday, 3-4 days for movies Friday-Saturday.

I don't rent enough to be throttled, so I also get first pick of the Tuesday new releases: Mail a disc on Friday-Saturday, it's processed Monday and they already have the new releases in stock. They ship my first choice and it arrives Tuesday.

Con:
Iif you rent more than around 10-12 discs a month with the $17 3-at-a-time plan, they will throttle you. Then:
- you get second or third pick at new releases, after people like me.
- they seem to take longer to process your returns.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: amish
i love netflix.

pros
good selection of movies
cost isn't bad

cons
throttling. they receive a movie from you and sometimes don't log it for 3+ days.

i have a burner and used to copy some of the movies that i liked. it became too much of a hassle so if i really like something i just buy it or re-rent it.

BAN in 3, 2, 1.... ;)

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Love Netflix.

Blockbuster will never get another penny of my money, damn them and their late fee BS of the 1990s.

3-at-a-time. Rented hundreds of movies. Learned to live with throttling, just keep a big-ass queue and enjoy.

Oh, and 2 day turn around in my area as well.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: gamepad
How much of a problem is faulty DVDs with Netflix?

I have never had an unplayable disc in almost 4 years (at roughly 3 to 4 a week)

How much are they paying you to say that?

That's a really nice track record.

Nov 5, 2001

I have never had an unplayable disc in almost 4 years (at roughly 3 to 4 a week)

How much are they paying you to say that?

That's a really nice track record.

I've really loved the service.

I even figured out a dirty secret that they've never caught on to.....report a disc missing if you want to expedite the shipping of a new release. ;evil:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I've had a couple of discs get cracked (as in about to split apart) by the post office, but overall something like 1 unplayable disc per 150-200 rented.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I even figured out a dirty secret that they've never caught on to.....report a disc missing if you want to expedite the shipping of a new release. ;evil:
They track that and figure it into your "bad customer" rating when deciding whether to throttle you.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
They track that and figure it into your "bad customer" rating when deciding whether to throttle you.

;shrug:

I've never had a problem with throttling.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I like them and they like me. I probably watch like one movie a month now(my plan's 3-at-a-time) and I get pretty much whatever I want right away. Booyah. Who's the sucker now???

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Delta6Echo
Originally posted by: amish
i love netflix.

pros
good selection of movies
cost isn't bad

cons

BAN in 3, 2, 1.... ;)

sorry, still here.

there is only one other thing that i hate...they don't have conan the barbarian. :|

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

I've never had one broken in half, but I've had a few that had scratches that caused minor problems. I've only had one that was unwatchable.