Netflix via WMC is jacked up

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
RE: HTPC in sig below

I run my HTPC through WMC, including Netflix. It's always been easy to control with my W7 Rosewill remote. From what I've experienced, there are two Netflix GUI's... the internet accessed one, and the one we get running Netflix through WMC... they are different. The problem for the past week or so is, once I start Netflix, select a video to watch, and start it... it reverts back to the 'internet' GUI and I'm not able to control it with the remote. The weird thing about it is, the menu doesn't change... it's just the viewing window.

There are no settings in either WMC or Netflix that I have found to alter this... I'm fixing to roll back to an earlier backup image of the OS and see if it follows, but in the meantime... anyone familiar with Netflix in WMC have any ideas?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
WMC no longer supports (and breaks) its Netflix plugin.

Is there a workaround? Can I roll back?

EDIT: Now that I know what I'm looking for, I've done some additional reading 'round the web. Looks like MS and Netflix are forcing my hand... my plans to stick with WMC and W7 until 2020 are being thwarted.

Last edited:

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Netflix changed its API which caused a lot of unofficial and semi-official (WMC included) clients to break. Kodi used to have a reasonably functioning Chrome/Netflix plugin that allowed for browsing of your lists and playback via remote, but that's all funked up now. Netflix really needs to release a publicly accessible API. There are a good number of folks legally paying and accessing their Netflix content that just want to be able to get it in the player they want (e.g. Kodi). There's absolutely nothing illegal about this, but Netflix refuses to give it's customers the access they want.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Netflix changed its API which caused a lot of unofficial and semi-official (WMC included) clients to break. Kodi used to have a reasonably functioning Chrome/Netflix plugin that allowed for browsing of your lists and playback via remote, but that's all funked up now. Netflix really needs to release a publicly accessible API. There are a good number of folks legally paying and accessing their Netflix content that just want to be able to get it in the player they want (e.g. Kodi). There's absolutely nothing illegal about this, but Netflix refuses to give it's customers the access they want.

That's me. We don't have cable... Netflix is it.

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
I found that last night... I'm going to try it out tonight, but thank you! Some have success with it, others not so much. Got my fingers crossed... :eek:

Worked for me. I had to run the restore though.

ctark

Sep 6, 2004
Is there a workaround? Can I roll back?

EDIT: Now that I know what I'm looking for, I've done some additional reading 'round the web. Looks like MS and Netflix are forcing my hand... my plans to stick with WMC and W7 until 2020 are being thwarted.

Get an HDhomerun Prime and the Nvidia Shield TV. Way better than any windows based media center right now.

It can run Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Hulu, HDhomerun app for tv (or go through Kodi), and many other network streaming apps.

It supports all the HD audio codecs and it supports almost all the video codecs as well. Its a streamers dream box. You can also load a browser if you like to surf the web on your tv.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Get an HDhomerun Prime and the Nvidia Shield TV. Way better than any windows based media center right now.

It can run Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Hulu, HDhomerun app for tv (or go through Kodi), and many other network streaming apps.

It supports all the HD audio codecs and it supports almost all the video codecs as well. Its a streamers dream box. You can also load a browser if you like to surf the web on your tv.

Well, the problem with that is... by looking at my signature rigs... I've already got considerable hardware tied up with the HTPC concept. My HTPC can run Kodi, Netflix and all that other crap (I currently don't run.) The problem I have is I have a problem running Netflix on WMC with a WMC remote. I don't like Kodi (it's not as simple as WMC) and I don't stream other sources besides Netflix.

ctark

Sep 6, 2004
Well, the problem with that is... by looking at my signature rigs... I've already got considerable hardware tied up with the HTPC concept. My HTPC can run Kodi, Netflix and all that other crap (I currently don't run.) The problem I have is I have a problem running Netflix on WMC with a WMC remote. I don't like Kodi (it's not as simple as WMC) and I don't stream other sources besides Netflix.

Well the beauty of the Nvidia Shield solution is everything is remote supported. I dont know how to help you with your netflix in WMC solution but I share a similiar frustration with netflix in windows 10. It has zero remote support. I also have a fairly expensive HTPC setup, but I decided to just turn it into servers and go the Nvidia shield route because its honestly more streamlined. I have all kinds of options at my fingertips now with full remote support and Nvidia is working with any popular program out there that HTPC users love. They actually had the Kodi guys come in to sit down and have a chat.

Silicon Dust is working on a DVR system for windows/android/plex/kodi for their HDhomerun prime. I'm in the beta program and they are suppose to launch windows support this month. Again, I know thats not your issue but I was just letting you know in case you haven't been keeping up with current events surrounding the Prime. I believe they are working (hopefully) on a nice UI for their TV app. It may not be the solution you are looking for, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

The reason I'm converting over is because its stupid simple and my great grandmother lives next door and uses my stuff, along with my fiance. It keeps them happy when its simple. I'm glad there is finally a solution outside of windows that cant meet every need that I've ever wanted.

I'm curious, does Netflix support Dolby and 1080p in WMC?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Is your HTPC the one connected to the tv? or are you trying to stream your HTPC to a client? if so what is the client?