Netflix to lose thousands of movies. Gambles on making its own content

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Thousands of movies will be removed from Netflix after the streaming service decided not to renew a deal with distributor Epix.
Removed titles will include the Hunger Games and Transformers movies.
Netflix, which has more than 60 million subscribers worldwide, said it wanted to focus on exclusive content.
Rival service Hulu will take on the Epix catalogue.
"Our subscribers have been asking us for more, and more recent, big movies," Hulu said in an announcement.
"We listened. Through this new deal with Epix, we are proud to now be able to offer a huge selection of the biggest blockbusters and premium films."
Netflix's deal with Epix - which was worth a reported $1bn - runs up until the end of September 2015, at which point the films will disappear from the service.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34110968?ocid=socialflow_twitter

I've never watched any of Netflix's content so this may make the service less valuable to me. :\

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That is going to be their downfall. Too bad.

EDIT: let me rephrase - it is possible that if they are just cutting the low margin films it may not matter,but it is hard to tell if that is the case. While they can make quality shows, they don't have the #'s. They need the external content or people are just going to go to other mediums. Wondering if the comcast stunts did more harm than we realized.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
In the world where EVERYONE and their dogs have a streaming service, and Netflix decides to serve up LESS contents while don't have enough original contents.

Smart move, Netflix, smart move.

Is it time to short NFLX yet?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The Disney deal kicks in full steam on 2016, so maybe not so much of a loss.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Any idea what the "Epix catalogue" consists of?

Their website lists many movies, including some classics.

http://www.epixhd.com/all-movies/

That said, if Epix was getting too greedy with their pricing, it might be a good thing for consumers and for Netflix to stand their ground.

I guess it's about time I finally watch 12 Years A Slave. BTW, I got one of the Transformers movies for free on Google Play but never did watch it.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I honestly think Netflix will do OK with this. They are beginning to hit their stride with original content, and a lot of the supposed "big movies" are shitty anyway. I certainly don't keep Netflix to watch Transformers.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I'd say this was really bad except one side will cave and they'll work out a deal. If anything I get pretty sick of these constant "you're going to lose XYZ shows/movies, call your provider who won't pay us money and tell them to give in" I see too often on TV.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Netflix had it all. Then they flushed it all down the toilet. Now they are trying to play catch up with a text book retailer.

Pity.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Well, that sucks. Netflix is the only real streaming option up here. Not that I'm particularly heart broken to see the Transformers movies go though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
However...most of the shows Netflix creates are pretty decent.

House of Cards and Daredevil (just to name two) have been pretty damned good.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Netflix knows how many customers watch those movies and they are culling the movies that do not offer a high rate of return.

Why pay billions for something that is not bringing in new customers or holding them to the service. Better they use that budget fore more original content.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
However...most of the shows Netflix creates are pretty decent.

House of Cards and Daredevil (just to name two) have been pretty damned good.

I agree, but I'm not sure they are '$8/mo on their own' good.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Daredevil was great!

What annoys me now is the lack of consolidation. I watch some movies on Netflix...some on Amazon...some on VUDU...some off my PLEX server...it's such a dumb system. The squabbling is no good for consumers. They could be making money hand over fist if they wisened up, especially if they made certain movies purchase-only online, like Disney movies. Most of my Amazon Instant Video purchases are impulse purchases of kid's movies. Boom, goodbye ten bucks! They're stupid not to take more advantage of that.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Eh, the licensing agreements go in yearly cycles. This crap will be back on in a few years. You constantly see stuff disappearing and "new" releases (of 1-50 year old movies) showing up on the various streaming services.

Currently have the older pricing so going to keep Netflix for now, couple with Amazon Prime it works well enough. It's always an incentive to watch less.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I watched the first episodes of Narcos. That is the best produced\written TV show I have ever seen. Even went authentic with english sub titles. If they can spit out shows like that they are easily worth the 8 bucks a month to stream.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
I didn't realize Netflix had 1000s of movies. I wonder if it it's actually access to 1000s of movies. EPIX may have rights to 1000s, but Netflix is only licensing a few hundred each month.

I don't really care for how Netflix presents it's movies. Seems you just have a few bars...adventure, comedy, because you watched this, etc., each with 30 or so movies. I can't seem to be able to just scroll through a list of all their titles.

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
not like their selection was that great in the first place
This.
I am often disappointed by their selection but at their price point, I've had their service for years. If I am bored, I can find something.
Plus, House of Cards rocks.

New Black is wearing thin but the wife likes it.
Bloodline, couldn't get into it, may try and binge watch later.
Narco, going to give it a shot since RossMAN is interested.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Their website lists many movies, including some classics.

http://www.epixhd.com/all-movies/

That said, if Epix was getting too greedy with their pricing, it might be a good thing for consumers and for Netflix to stand their ground.

I guess it's about time I finally watch 12 Years A Slave. BTW, I got one of the Transformers movies for free on Google Play but never did watch it.
Age of Extinction maybe? That one was free on Amazon Prime.

I already saw one of the other Transformers movies, so I don't know what I was expecting.

I should get a partial refund on my Prime membership because I know that some perfectly money is being spent just to have that wasting space on their servers.

I could have spent that time watching the movie that they could have made: Nothing but 2 hours of Mark Wahlberg frolicking around a large room filled with Michael Bay's rancid pubes.

Instead, I forced myself to suffer through something even worse.