Netflix, Hulu may have to wait 4 years for TV shows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Why don't people just subscribe to cable/satellite and Netflix/Amazon? Access to everything.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Why don't people just subscribe to cable/satellite and Netflix/Amazon? Access to everything.

because cable tv is full of filler that you have to pay for.

if they offered a la carte programming you'd bet your ass they have more subscribers.

but under the current cable tv model each channel would be 10 bucks.

Last edited:

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
The only result from a move likes this would be me forgetting about these shows because they take forever to show up in my streaming services, and by then I won't care to watch them.

Oh and it will push more people to pirate.

This.

I've heard good things about Gotham and thought I might be able to catch up on Netflix between seasons, but obviously I won't be able to do so. I did this with Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, just to name two fairly recent examples, and once I got caught up I watched them weekly (well, at least until I got bored with TWD). I'm not going to buy the BR discs nor buy Hulu so Gotham will most likely be yet another TV series I will never see.

As for torrents...I am over 40 and am well aware of what torrents are but it's a little bit of a hassle and I don't generally hook my computer up to the TV to watch it (and with a family of 5 I don't watch on a laptop either). It's not that I don't know how to do all these things, it's just not worth my time.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Let's see...

I pay $88.xx/month (inc. taxes/fees) for cable + (75Mbps) internet from Comcrap.

If I were to 'unbundle' and go internet only I'd pay:

$78.95 + taxes and fees (75Mbps, $66.95 for 25Mbps)
+ $9.99 for Netflix

Total would be $88.94/month.

Add in Hulu for more "TV" content at $7.99/month and Amazon prime at ~$8.25/month to fill in some content gaps and I'm now paying a total of:

$105.18/month

I save exactly how much by cutting the cord again?

Stop using that common sense again.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
USA has about 320 million people. The most pirated movie last year was downloaded 30 million times. Some episodes of TWD and GoT were downloaded 48 million times. Your numbers don't match up.
People live in other countries...
Let's see...

I pay $88.xx/month (inc. taxes/fees) for cable + (75Mbps) internet from Comcrap.

+ $9.99 for Netflix

Add in Hulu for more "TV" content at $7.99/month and Amazon prime at ~$8.25/month to fill in some content gaps and I'm now paying a total of:

$105.18/month

You'd seem to be in a less common scenario, even when I had the lowest possible cable package it still added $25 to my bill versus internet only.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

I do, Comcast bill is $180.xx a month for TV and internet. Netflix is $11.99 I think because I got the 4k option. $200 is a decent chunk of change, but I think its worth it. I use it mainly for sports with the wife, she uses it mainly for other shows. We both use it for GoT and TWD. I don't think I can live without ESPN. Plus I can use Comcast GO and watch it on my phone anywhere, unlimited Verizon data

Expensive yeah, but worth it to me. I usually record so I can FF through commercials.

edit, but if I want to watch something, that I didn't record or missed, I will just download it. No biggie to me really.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Time Warner is giving me "even more value" with Road Runner more like it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This.

I've heard good things about Gotham and thought I might be able to catch up on Netflix between seasons, but obviously I won't be able to do so. I did this with Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, just to name two fairly recent examples, and once I got caught up I watched them weekly (well, at least until I got bored with TWD). I'm not going to buy the BR discs nor buy Hulu so Gotham will most likely be yet another TV series I will never see.

As for torrents...I am over 40 and am well aware of what torrents are but it's a little bit of a hassle and I don't generally hook my computer up to the TV to watch it (and with a family of 5 I don't watch on a laptop either). It's not that I don't know how to do all these things, it's just not worth my time.

Plex + Chromecast dude.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
People live in other countries...

You'd seem to be in a less common scenario, even when I had the lowest possible cable package it still added $25 to my bill versus internet only.

You're actually in the less common scenario.

Most people look at the "promo" cable rates and base their numbers off that. That's good for a year, or maybe you like calling every 6 months and dealing with retentions (a step that simply shouldn't exist).

Or some outliers might get lucky and actually have competition in their area which brings down their internet costs substantially. Most don't, or what they do have isn't capable of supporting a cord cutter (sorry, my cheapest alternative is AT&T DSL which can't handle my household @ $54.95/month).

My scenario is what the vast majority of the US enjoys. The price of cord cutting is usually within 10-15% of not doing so. The ISP's, which not coincidentally have moved into providing video services, have priced it this way on purpose.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
But eventually you'll catch up. This is my concern for Netflix and it's kind. They're starting to develop original programming, but they are dependent upon the networks and Hollywood for most of their content.
There will come a point when most people will have watched most of the old programming that they want to see...and demand will shrink.

I'm not so concerned. We also have Hulu and Amazon so... By the time we catch up it'll be 2-3 years down the road and all this "holding back" of shows will be 2-3 years down the road so it'll all even out in the end.

I think people realize that and it is going to make appointment viewing even less relevant. Honestly people don't really even talk about TV shows anymore because nobody wants to spoil it for anyone else. So being "up" on current shows is less and less necessary.

It really surprises me that these cable networks are having such a hard time moving over to the streaming model. I mean, as a network (with the help of the content owners) could enforce wildly crazy advertising schemes. They can prevent skipping commercials, have a better idea of viewers INSTANTLY, they can target ads based on who is in the household / net worth / etc. I mean that's a network operator's wet dream right there.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
smart move on their part IMO. of course people will complain because they get less shit for free when they want it. entitlement mentality doesn't surprise me though, everyone thinks they deserve everything for free/cheap as shit.

I don't think people feel entitled to it like "it's BS the tv show is not given to me!" There's a lot of other things entitlement applies to, but this isn't one of them. People would only make a comment about it because they are anti-cable companies... which leads to...

Smart for cable providers sure. It's a business after all. Too bad everything they're doing is leaving a bad taste in customers' mouths though.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Let's see...

+ $9.99 for Netflix

$105.18/month

So you're arguing that your cable provider gives you the same content/availability as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime combined?

I already have Prime and would even if streaming disappeared (it didn't exist when I signed up, after all). Netflix is $7.99 and 100Mbps internet is $59.99. Netflix provides content that cable does not, so including that price with internet and not with cable is just dumb.

Here are the cable packages:
7HmLFBs.png

So..yeah, how much money am I saving?

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
So you're arguing that your cable provider gives you the same content/availability as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime combined?

So you're putting words into my mouth?

I never once said anything about the quality of content on either side. I was, however, discussing the dollars and cents matter of fact of cord cutting.

I have my own complaints over the perceived value of services like Netflix anyway - for example why does the price keep going up when their content library keeps getting smaller? Aaaaanyway...

Since you edited:

I already have Prime and would even if streaming disappeared (it didn't exist when I signed up, after all). Netflix is $7.99 and 100Mbps internet is $59.99. Netflix provides content that cable does not, so including that price with internet and not with cable is just dumb.

A sunk cost is still a cost. You're paying for prime, you're going to count it.

$59.99 for your internet, sounds like you're quoting a promo rate. What's your rate after the promo runs out? Cox in my area for 100Mbps jumps up to $77.99/month. I'm guessing you'll be in the $66.99/mo range.

As far as where Netflix is included - it's included as a REPLACEMENT for cable, just like Amazon, Hulu, etc. Add up all your content prices and your ISP costs and that's what your TCO is. You can't just arbitrarily exclude costs and say "hey, my costs are cheaper just because". That doesn't make sense. But then again logic has never been a strong suit here on ATOT.

Last edited:

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Let's see...

+ $9.99 for Netflix

$105.18/month

You are in the minority in that you are already getting RAAAAAPED on internet cost.

For me Internet + Cable + Fees + 2x Boxes = $212. With the lowest end cable (SD basic channels) $167 AND I was paying for Prime+Netflix anyway.

Now $53 for internet + Hulu (and Prime + Netflix I was already paying for). Less than $90. Which also includes Slacker Radio for us. So $122/mo difference $1400 per year and that is being generous and not counting that I would have paid for Prime + Netflix anyway.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
So you're putting words into my mouth?

I never once said anything about the quality of content on either side. I was, however, discussing the dollars and cents matter of fact of cord cutting.

I have my own complaints over the perceived value of services like Netflix anyway - for example why does the price keep going up when their content library keeps getting smaller? Aaaaanyway...

You're the one who effectively said "if I don't have cable, I need Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime" - and then used that amount in your comparison. If that's not what you meant, perhaps the post should be edited to reflect an accurate comparison instead of buying into three major streaming services to "prove" that cord-cutting doesn't save money.

And you're getting fucked on your internet.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You're actually in the less common scenario.

Most people look at the "promo" cable rates and base their numbers off that. That's good for a year, or maybe you like calling every 6 months and dealing with retentions (a step that simply shouldn't exist).

Or some outliers might get lucky and actually have competition in their area which brings down their internet costs substantially. Most don't, or what they do have isn't capable of supporting a cord cutter (sorry, my cheapest alternative is AT&T DSL which can't handle my household @ $54.95/month).

My scenario is what the vast majority of the US enjoys. The price of cord cutting is usually within 10-15% of not doing so. The ISP's, which not coincidentally have moved into providing video services, have priced it this way on purpose.
I'm not sure this is accurate, otherwise cord cutting wouldn't even be a "thing", since most people are lazy enough that they'd just spend an extra $10-20/mo for convenience.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
You're the one who effectively said "if I don't have cable, I need Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime" - and then used that amount in your comparison. If that's not what you meant, perhaps the post should be edited to reflect an accurate comparison instead of buying into three major streaming services to "prove" that cord-cutting doesn't save money.

And you're getting fucked on your internet.

I agree that I pay too much for internet. Then again, so is everybody.

The median price for 100Mbps service in the US (as of 2014) was $69.99, for 50Mbps is $59.95. What the census that studied this didn't mention was whether these numbers included bundled internet costs or only standalone numbers.

Given these numbers, yeah even so I'm still paying a bit too much. But at the same rate if you look at most municipalities without terribly much competition in high speed broadband, you'll find similar numbers.

As far as content choices, it doesn't really matter much. Whether you break even or save $10, maybe $20, the fact remains that ISP's are jacking up broadband costs to compensate for your shift in habits. I'm sorry if that wasn't abundantly obviously from my earlier post, so I simply stated it right here. Enjoy your $20/month savings for the next year or so before they evaporate too.