Netflix gives vertical line almost like tearing but not???

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So I'm not sure where I'd put this so figuring it's "graphic/video" related I figured I'd post it here.

I noticed the other night, kids were watching some "cheetah girls" movie the other night and in high-motion scenes (flashing lights, etc. where HD video LED has difficulty already) there was a line down the middle of the screen, vertically from top to bottom. (not a colored line, but a seam)

I've read about horizontal "tearing" from Netflix but I don't think this was it as both halves were synched well enough (unless it is & just hard to tell). But you can definitely see the line.

Weird thing is, I asked the kids if they saw it before & they said on some things "yes" but others, "no". (weird)

Now, I also know my Vizio 3D full backlit LED does split backlighting between right half & left half, but don't *think* this would be related to that as this is definitely a picture thing.

It doesn't do this on cable TV or BluRay/DVD....just Netflix.

???

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Pretty much every professional review I've read about Vizio local dimming says you should simply turn it off. VA panels have good contrast anyway, and the low amount of zones the vizio's have is bound to cause some anomalies.

On another note, I'll start taking you anti-illegal immigrant types seriously when your #1 goal becomes stopping the War on Drugs. illegals come here because we turned Mexico into a total shithole by handing the cartels the entire US illegal drug market.

Last edited:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Pretty much every professional review I've read about Vizio local dimming says you should simply turn it off. VA panels have good contrast anyway, and the low amount of zones the vizio's have is bound to cause some anomalies.

Thanks. That'll be a good test. I'll find the spot in the movie it happened & give it a go.

On another note, I'll start taking you anti-illegal immigrant types seriously when your #1 goal becomes stopping the War on Drugs. illegals come here because we turned Mexico into a total shithole by handing the cartels the entire US illegal drug market.

Like most folks here in the U.S. they won't consider it seriously until it reaches them. (California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas). Ask "La Barbie" what he thinks about your opinion. When the problem hits closer to home for you, you might change your mind. But.....I also understand that we are the premier 1st world country on the planet, enjoy the "problem du jour" and have short memories so we grab our Starbucks, hope in our Prii and go on with our 1st world lives. C'est la vie.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You are right that it is not tearing. Tearing will only happen horizontally. That means the problem is likely in the display itself. I know of no GPU or software related problems that result in vertical lines.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Like most folks here in the U.S. they won't consider it seriously until it reaches them. (California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas). Ask "La Barbie" what he thinks about your opinion. When the problem hits closer to home for you, you might change your mind. But.....I also understand that we are the premier 1st world country on the planet, enjoy the "problem du jour" and have short memories so we grab our Starbucks, hope in our Prii and go on with our 1st world lives. C'est la vie.

I live in Texas, don't talk to me about illegal immigration like you have more experience with it. My point is that you types want to do everything but eliminate the source of the problem; the drug war. We are responsible for turning Mexico and central American countries into shitholes . Now we're reaping what we've sewn, and people still have no desire to even acknowledge the cause, much less consider putting an end to it.

Last edited:

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Thanks. That'll be a good test. I'll find the spot in the movie it happened & give it a go.

Did you ever retest that scene? What's your source for the Netflix stream? Laptop? HTPC? Blu-ray player? Can you also test that movie/scene on another device and screen? It's a good idea to rule out Netflix itself before you start chasing down hardware issues.

You are right that it is not tearing. Tearing will only happen horizontally. That means the problem is likely in the display itself. I know of no GPU or software related problems that result in vertical lines.

I have a hunch that maybe the TV was/is in some sort of demo mode - where they do the whole side-by-side comparison of TV features. Usually those demo modes compare two such drastically different settings that you should be noticing a vertical line all the time if that were the case, but I thought I would suggest it.

My primary thought, however, is that it's a mastering error on the stream itself.