Netflix geoblocking - Whiners gonna whine

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix-crackdown-border-hopping-1.3603460
The recent Netflix crackdown on cross-border watchers has plenty of Canadians fuming. That's because they're now blocked from hopping virtual borders to watch Netflix shows restricted to other countries.

You know that old nugget about there being two sides to every story?

Well sometimes there is only one side.

Kind of a joke trying to present a balanced viewpoint on this one. I want more content for my $9.99 too, but it doesn't entitle me to something that Netflix doesn't have the right to sell me.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Meh, I got a little sad when they started blocking VPNs. For whatever reason it seems like the SciFi selection was always better in the European/Scandinavian regions. But can't blame them.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
They don't just block you for trying to bypass geographical restrictions, though, they just block known VPN IPs across the board. Which means if I'm using a VPN for legitimate security reasons (like for maintaining an encrypted connection on a potentially insecure network) I'm blocked from using Netflix.

This kind of crap is why DRM sucks, too, as it really only gets in the way of legitimate, paying users.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
They don't just block you for trying to bypass geographical restrictions, though, they just block known VPN IPs across the board. Which means if I'm using a VPN for legitimate security reasons (like for maintaining an encrypted connection on a potentially insecure network) I'm blocked from using Netflix.

This kind of crap is why DRM sucks, too, as it really only gets in the way of legitimate, paying users.

Reasonably true. It is frustrating that I can't Netflix if I'm on public WiFi with my VPN.. but I'm also one of the people who geo-hopped sooooo.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Question is why are these artificial limitations placed in the first place?

Because greedy rights holder want to sell you their service that is way more limited for more money a month.

I.e crave TV.

It's just one more way for them to get a kick at the cat when you cut the cord.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Question is why are these artificial limitations placed in the first place?
Do you mean why are content owners allowed to have contracts other than 'free for all'?

Why are studios allowed to use different distributors for movies in different markets?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Do you mean why are content owners allowed to have contracts other than 'free for all'?

Why are studios allowed to use different distributors for movies in different markets?

I agree that it's all within their licensing rights. I'll say that I wish the studios and streaming services would do more to broaden the menu of content and blue sky this stuff as much as possible. You have people paying to watch content, I understand that $9.99 a month can't pay for premium stuff like GoT or recent Hollywood features. But all this obscure stuff that's either old or has moderate demand, it seems like the walls are way higher than they need to be.

So yeah, they have the right, it just feels like they're not doing a very good job of serving the consumers.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Blame Netflix for being cheap asses and failing to obtain worldwide distribution rights.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Blame Netflix for being cheap asses and failing to obtain worldwide distribution rights.

Blame the content providers for asking for way too much for Netflix to be able to get the content at their current price.

Not enough people are willing to pay $50/month for Netflix with more content -- the majority will pay $10 for "meh, good enough I guess" content instead.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Blame the content providers for asking for way too much for Netflix to be able to get the content at their current price.

Not enough people are willing to pay $50/month for Netflix with more content -- the majority will pay $10 for "meh, good enough I guess" content instead.

For $50/mth I could have kept cable (well, not quite), or can easily purchase a few extra shows or movies that Netflix lacks.

Mar 11, 2004

Says the Hollywood accountant, where movies that clear half a billion "didn't make any money".

Not all that easy if deals are already in place.

This. Plus seeing the insane prices for stuff like Seinfeld and Friends and some of the others, Netflix can't buy up all the content if they want to maintain a reasonable price. And more companies are looking to do their own thing and so are looking to bypass Netflix entirely, meaning they won't even get a chance at the content because the companies would rather let it languish so they can tie it to their own distribution method.

And let's not forget that Netflix and Amazon are being squeezed by ISPs as well as content owners.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yo ho ho.

I blame the content providers for charging more and more money for same or less content. These are the things that force Netflix's hand in subscription price hikes. Or they keep it the same but have less content. A poison pill either way.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The whole rights thing is ridiculous, there's so much political BS in the entertainment industry. It's not really Netflix's fault but just the overall industry's fault, that this is even a thing. These companies need to get their heads out of their asses and actually embrace the idea that content can now be delivered anywhere in the world and allow content providers like Netflix to do it.

On similar thought I hate that there are so many different netflix clones now, what is going to end up happening is all the content is going to be split across all these different services, then we're back to regular cable TV. You want to watch this show? You need to subscribe to this channel too!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I only minded when i was in China on business travel. I just wanted to use my American service I paid for.

Michael

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
The whole rights thing is ridiculous, there's so much political BS in the entertainment industry. It's not really Netflix's fault but just the overall industry's fault, that this is even a thing. These companies need to get their heads out of their asses and actually embrace the idea that content can now be delivered anywhere in the world and allow content providers like Netflix to do it.

nope because cable packages are way more profitable.

and i get some kick backs from my friends over at the outdoor life network and the life channel for making you subscribe to it even though you don't want to.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What I think would be a neat model for TV shows is that they start by making full or maybe a half season, they publish it on their site and you pay to download it, like 5-10 bucks for a season. They set a monetary goal to continue the show. If enough people like the show and want it to continue they will (or should) pay. For example some of the shows like Breaking Bad, I'd pay 5-10 bucks per season easily if it's convenient. Enter credit card number, then you get a download link and download a high quality file. Sure you can easily distribute it and people could pirate it, but if you really like the show and want them to make the next season, you better think about paying even if you already saw it.

This whole notion of being forced to subscribe to a TV service/channel to watch one show is just ridiculous. Or in some cases having to reside in a certain country.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
What I think would be a neat model for TV shows is that they start by making full or maybe a half season, they publish it on their site and you pay to download it, like 5-10 bucks for a season. They set a monetary goal to continue the show. If enough people like the show and want it to continue they will (or should) pay. For example some of the shows like Breaking Bad, I'd pay 5-10 bucks per season easily if it's convenient. Enter credit card number, then you get a download link and download a high quality file. Sure you can easily distribute it and people could pirate it, but if you really like the show and want them to make the next season, you better think about paying even if you already saw it.

This whole notion of being forced to subscribe to a TV service/channel to watch one show is just ridiculous. Or in some cases having to reside in a certain country.

nope because 50 dollar dvd sets for one season of a television show.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
nope because 50 dollar dvd sets for one season of a television show.

That's cheap compared to anime dvds. I remember Trigun working out to about ten bux and episode with the initial Pioneer release in NA.

Yes I bought it.