Netflix 4K and Geforce cards

eddman

Dec 28, 2010
Seeing that nvidia Shield can play netflix's 4K content, would that also apply to GTX 960, 950 and Pascal cards too?

I know that these cards support the basic requirements, HEVC main and main10, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, but are there any other specific requirements? Is HDMI 2.0 enough or does it have to be 2.0a or 2.0b?

I also read somewhere about PlayReady 3.0 which is required for 4K netflix and that, apparently, only Pascal cards support it. Is it true and if so, can it be added to 960 and 950 cards through drivers or BIOS updates?

Can someone here with a Pascal card try playing 4K netflix in Edge and see if it works?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am aware of the netflix 4K/Edge articles. That's the reason I'm asking. If Shield and kaby lake are supported, then why not latest geforce cards?

Last edited:

Mercennarius

Oct 28, 2015
Wait...you can't stream 4K on Netflix without a Kaby lake CPU? I could of sworn i've had 4K working on my PC via Netflix with my old X5690s....

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Technical capability of the GPU is not the issue. Its the politics of getting Netflix (i.e. content provider studios) to support the device with their then-current DRM scheme

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
May 11, 2008
Interesting here is that even the official W10 Netflix app will not give you 4k if your pc does not qualify to the requirements. It does give 1080p HD.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/55763

Netflix is available on Windows computers using a Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera browser, or the Windows 8 or Windows 10 app. Netflix streaming features on Windows computers include:

Navigation:
Browse rows of movie posters: The main Netflix.com page displays rows of TV shows and movies for you to browse. You can also browse genres from the Browse drop-down.

Search: Search for specific TV show or movie titles, actors, directors, or genres from the search box in the upper right corner of the Netflix.com menu bar.

Movie or TV Show Pages: Hover over a specific movie or TV show poster to see additional information, such as a brief synopsis, year(s) produced, or maturity rating. Clicking on the title from within this section will take you to the full description page for that movie or TV show.

Playback: Click on a poster to begin playing a movie or TV show. During video playback, use the scroll bar at the bottom of the player screen to fast forward, rewind, or see more options. To exit video playback, select the back button from the upper left corner of your screen. If the scroll bar or back button are not visible on your screen, simply move your cursor until they appear.

Supported Regions:
Netflix supports streaming on Windows computers using supported browsers in all regions where Netflix is available.

Resolution:
Windows computers support streaming up to 4k, depending on your browser.

• Google Chrome up to 720p
  • Internet Explorer up to 1080p
  • Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
  • Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
  • Opera up to 720p
  • Windows 8 app up to 1080p
  • Windows 10 app up to 4K*
*Streaming in 4K requires an HDCP 2.2 compliant connection to a 4K capable display, Intel's 7th generation Core CPU, and the latest Windows updates. Check with the manufacturer of your system to verify specifications.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Microsoft pushing arbitrary requirements onto another product? At least give consumers the option to try it on older OS's and hardware.

Did you not read the thread? It's not Microsoft or Intel's fault. It's the studios for enforcing PlayReady 3.0. Apparently the studios are winning the PR wars because the uninformed think its a Microsoft/Intel cash grab.

Reactions: Headfoot

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
"fully work on all Pascal GPUs with 3GB or more of VRAM, though this means that 2GB GTX 1050 cards are oddly excluded."

lol?

so many stupid restrictions, and people will pirate it anyway...
if your CPU is fast enough to decode this thing, it should just work.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
"fully work on all Pascal GPUs with 3GB or more of VRAM, though this means that 2GB GTX 1050 cards are oddly excluded."

I know I'd be pretty PO'd if I made a HTPC with those cards and it didn't work. Gotta love how they try to restrict it when it will end up being pirated anyway. Stop hurting legit customers to prevent people who will never be your customer. Its way easier to stream than to download from some random site at lower quality. Hopefully they lift the restrictions

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Glad I picked up a 1050 Ti for my HTPC instead of a 1050. Now hopefully we get some Radeon Polaris love. Silly DRM.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
And here I was thinking that the upcoming GT 1030 would be optimal for upgrading my old HTPC