Neteller:

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Neteller instacash clears immediately but carries a 8.9% service charge. EFTs have no service charge but "take 4 to 5 business days to clear." Emphasis on the quotes and the word clear.

I deposited money on Wednesday, it was taken out of my account on Thursday morning. I call (can't get a real person) and the automated service tells me:
"Your deposit will clear 4 to 5 business days after your deposit (not earlier). Your deposit will be debited from your bank account within 2 days of your deposit."

Now, I understand the reasoning for the 8.9% fee on instacash. It's (a) to make money from people who need the cash immediately, and (b) to cover themselves in case the transfer fails and they have to try to get the money back.

However, I find it totally unscrupulous that Neteller is going to hold my money for 4 days just to punish me for not paying the 8.9% fee. I understand not getting the cash immediately, but hell, it cleared and you have my money, I should get it credited. Additionally, Neteller can probably keep a running balance in their bank account (paying cleared money with money that got deposited that day, keeping a 3 day grace) and investing or loaning with that account. Kind of like the loophole banks use where money orders from a savings account don't earn interest while they're waiting to "clear" in another bank. The bank is holding onto your money without it being deposited in any account.

Well, that's my rant. I have some online dealings I need to take care of this weekend, and I am missing out on some income and pissing some people off, all because Neteller is purposefully giving me inferior service so that next time I might give them their 8.9% fee.

FlyLice

Banned
Jan 19, 2005
When the money leaves your account it sort of floats in limbo. The reason why they "hold" it for so long is that they want to cover themselves just in case the deposit was fraudulant, and they probably don't have that many people auditing the transactions.

It's sort of like when the bank puts a hold on a check because it's either large or routing is from the opposite side of the country (or even out of state checks).

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: FlyLice
When the money leaves your account it sort of floats in limbo. The reason why they "hold" it for so long is that they want to cover themselves just in case the deposit was fraudulant, and they probably don't have that many people auditing the transactions.

It's sort of like when the bank puts a hold on a check because it's either large or routing is from the opposite side of the country (or even out of state checks).

I think that's what they'll tell you, but I think they more enjoy the "unintentional" benefit of holding my money to both annoy me because I didn't pay the fee and to keep that flex account.

I verified my bank account with them, I don't know how much more auditing would be done in 3 days.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: FlyLice

Its called "float" for a reason. Its not for fraud. Its to get interest on your money while they have it to make "overnight" loans. When you have a lot of money locked up, the interest adds up.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
they probably want to make money

maybe that is why they are in business, to make money

that could be it, maybe they want you to pay them so they make some money

or something

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
they probably want to make money

maybe that is why they are in business, to make money

that could be it, maybe they want you to pay them so they make some money

or something

Hmmm...

Now, I understand the reasoning for the 8.9% fee on instacash. It's (a) to make money from people who need the cash immediately, and (b) to cover themselves in case the transfer fails and they have to try to get the money back.

I already said that. You can't be a smartass if I already conceded it... you're just being an idiot.
My point is that it's unscrupulous. All the other free EFT sites don't wait like that.

as opposed to the emphasis on "to" or "." ?
I'm emphasizing that their definition of clear is sketchy at best. The money already "cleared"... the charge was accepted by my bank account and the money was deposited to them. The word clear is deceiving in that it applies what already happened, but they mean "when we feel like giving you the money."